PDA

View Full Version : Elway Helmet- Ebay

lund6771
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Any helmet guys have any thoughts on this one?

lund6771
10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
sorry...here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Elway-Game-Used-Game-Worn-Helmet-Denver-Broncos_W0QQitemZ170269898241QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem170269898241&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

THanks!

mvandor
10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, NFL shield decal placement eliminates it as his final lid worn in the January 31, 1999 Super Bowl, or in the preceding AFC Championship game, or Divisional Playoff game in 1999. In fact, all pics I can see on Getty for that season where you can see the rear of the helmet show the shield placed clearly much lower than on this lid.

Further, the 'R' decal shown on the ebay lid is not visible in any Getty pic from that season. See pic below, the 'R' is the biggest flag for me, it is found on retail Riddell Proline lids, but seldom on NFL lids during that timeframe to the best of my research and knowledge:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/51634986.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE5E3E7DB8E31417AA49C20B851BF85C284831B75F48EF45

Lastly, look at the warning decal - clearly different. The Elway lid, like most recent helmets, is just too easy to replicate to have a high confidence level in sans impeccable provenance IMHO.

I have bought game used pants from this seller, and have had positive experience with him, however, he seems to be relying on MS Auctions for the provenance. Simply put, that alone wouldn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I'm sure aeneas will see things I'm missing as always.

lund6771
10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Mvandor...

well maybe the seller will have to exercise his "lifetime guarentee" then...

Thanks for the help Mvandor!!!

EndzoneSports
10-08-2008, 01:50 PM
... the 'R' decal shown on the ebay lid is not visible in any Getty pic from that season. See pic below, the 'R' is the biggest flag for me, it is found on retail Riddell Proline lids, but seldom on NFL lids during that timeframe to the best of my research and knowledge:

While helmets are not my particular area of interest/expertise, I would reempasize what has already been pointed out. In my years of researching Broncos unis, I can honestly say that I've never come across any verifiable resource (ie game photo, etc) that would suggest that the Ridell "R" logo on the rear of the helmet indicates anything other than it being a ProLine retail issue.

Best regards,

aeneas01
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
many, many problems with the elway helmet - nothing more than a reproduction. btw "m. s. auction" (the "lifetime" guarantor of the helmet) is a very active ebayer (masauction). further, the "lifetime" guarantee only protects the original buyer of the helmet - the person that purchased it directly from m. s. auctions...

and, fwiw, the garrison hearst helmet listed by gameuseduniforms (currently at $400+ with under a day remaining) is a youth model schutt helmet that would not have been worn at the college or pro level.

lund6771
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
thanks for the help and steering me away from this piece of garbage...

Aneous1 do you have any experience with gameuseduniforms or msaauction?

RKGIBSON
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Aeneas,

What exactly tells you it is a youth helmet? There are several other GA helmets on Ebay, by this and other sellers, that all appear to be the Schutt Pro Air II. Is that what the Hearst helmet is, I cannot tell? I know that is what most high schools used around here.

The Wuerffel helmet does not appear to be something that he wore either. The snap location is totally wrong.

Roger

aeneas01
10-09-2008, 11:52 PM
roger - i contacted the seller and asked for the helmet code. as you may know, schutt helmet codes offer more than just the manufacturing date of the lid - the code also indicates the type of plastic the shell is made from. schutt and other helmet manufacturers use one type of plastic for youth helmets and another type of plastic for adult helmets. in the case of the garrison hearst helmet, it is made of cycolac abs which is a plastic schutt uses only for their youth helmets. abs plastics used for youth helmets (jv play and below) are not as impact resistant as the polcarbonate plastcs used for adult helmets.

i've seen a few "herschel walker" gamers come down the road during the last few years and they were all youth helmets, made of abs - in other words reproductions. fwiw red and white shells were the most common colors made. imo there are many, many "gamers" in circulation that are in fact youth helmets - most likely the owners of these helmets have no idea that this is the case.

btw here's another garrison hearst 1990 gamer that sold in feb of 2007 at ami for $750...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/gh1.jpg

RKGIBSON
10-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I wondered how you looked at the pictures and determined that. At least he did answer your questions, he did not bother with mine.

Would you decode this so we understand? This is my most prized piece of my sports collection, my sons helmet. 023089HR stamp. 0, I think is the type pIastic. It is made on the second shift of the 308th day of 1999. H, facility? R is the size? Is that regular or what?
Thanks in advance for the education.

Roger

mvandor
10-11-2008, 07:57 AM
FYI, I messaged the seller about this thread and heard nothing back, and the auction is continuing. Buyer beware.

lund6771
10-11-2008, 09:17 PM
FYI, I messaged the seller about this thread and heard nothing back, and the auction is continuing. Buyer beware.

make that 2 of us

aeneas01
10-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Would you decode this so we understand? This is my most prized piece of my sports collection, my sons helmet. 023089HR stamp. 0, I think is the type pIastic. It is made on the second shift of the 308th day of 1999. H, facility? R is the size? Is that regular or what? Thanks in advance for the education.

Roger

that is indeed a prize possession roger and you do have everything correct concerning the code:

ge polycarbonate (used for adult shells)
second shift
november 4, 1999
in-house
regular (as opposed to s, l, x, 2)

aeneas01
10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Aneous1 do you have any experience with gameuseduniforms or msaauction?

no i don't.....