PDA

View Full Version : Bob Bailor Blue Jays

write23
10-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the Bob Bailor jersey on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190257575988&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us#ebayphotohostin g

Seems to me I saw somewhere that the Jays home jerseys back then were Wilson, not Rawlings. Any help would be appreciated.

kingjammy24
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
at best, it's an old minor league shirt that's been done up as a bailor using an incorrect nob font. at worst, it's a handmade frankenstein jersey. there's nothing, at all, right with it.

1) in 1980, the jays home shirts were supplied by wilson. rawlings supplied their road shirts

2) the sleeve and neck trim is wrong. on a legit, toronto blue jays shirt the neck trim, from top to bottom, is navy blue-white-baby blue. the ebay shirt has the reverse. the sleeve trim on a legit toronto blue jays shirt should be, from top to bottom, navy blue-white-baby blue. the ebay shirt has the reverse. see here:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/446/silly1tc3.jpg

3) the front "blue jays" script uses the wrong font. the font used on the ebay shirt was first used on toronto blue jays home jerseys in 1990. prior to 1990, the jays home jerseys used a "square edged" font. the ebay jersey has the rounded-edge font first seen in 1990. the differences between the 2 fonts is most evident in the letters "U", "E" and "J". see:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8207/silly2od7.jpg

also see this thread for more:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5487

4) the nob uses the wrong font. see:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5514/silly3mi8.jpg

5) the strip tag is a joke. it's not a rawlings 80s style tag.

the ebay shirt is a complete monstrosity.

rudy.

write23
10-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Rudy,

Thanks for the specifics. Much more wrong than I initially thought.

Dave

momen55
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
this is what the seller says about this jersey:
Dear momen55,

Hi,
We have had some questions as to the authenticity of the jersey--including someone who stated that this particular front font was not used until 1990--I have photographic card evidence that the baby blue jerseys did use this same style on the front during this time period. I have a friend of mine who knows jerseys like the back of his hand going to take a look at it. BTW, this jersey came from an obsessive collector of Blue Jays items who had this from the mid-1980's--that's why I want my friend to weigh in before I come to any conclusions--I will also check this against any programs/yearbooks that are from this era as well--if my friend doesn't believe that it is legit, it will be taken off Ebay, as we have no interest in selling items that aren't legit. Thanks! Pat Blandford, Kevin Savage Cards

kingjammy24
10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
..including someone who stated that this particular front font was not used until 1990--I have photographic card evidence that the baby blue jerseys did use this same style on the front during this time period.

the particular font wasn't used on HOME jerseys (which is what the seller is offering) until 1990. the baby blues were the road jerseys and the seller is correct that the smooth-edged font was indeed used on the ROAD jerseys starting in 1979, however the road baby blues were made by rawlings. what relevance does the font on the rawlings road jerseys have on the wilson home jerseys? they're two different animals.

besides, the font is the least of his problems. the biggest, by far, is the neck and sleeve trim. it's in the complete opposite order that it should be, indicating that it's not even a toronto blue jays shirt of any sort. i'm eager to hear his friend explain that one.

rudy.

kingjammy24
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
seller has withdrawn the item.

if only grey flannel had done the same with their '87 mcgriff.

rudy.

hblakewolf
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM

rudy.

Rudy-As always, simply amazing insight on the Jays.

Can you further elaborate and post photos of the McGriff jersey you mention?

Thanks again.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM

rudy.

Rudy-After a quick search, I located your previous post with a photo of the 1987 McGriff you mention. How in the world could this be considered authentic with such flaws? You seem to have followed this jersey since it was originally listed by Grey Flannel (later offered by Historic Auctions) Are you confident Grey Flannel was notified that it was not legit, and if so, did they see it thrugh until the completion of the auction or pull it? Is it possible that the consignor was notified, had the jersey returned by Grey Flannel and then dumped it on Historic?:confused:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Rudy-After a quick search, I located your previous post with a photo of the 1987 McGriff you mention. How in the world could this be considered authentic with such flaws? You seem to have followed this jersey since it was originally listed by Grey Flannel (later offered by Historic Auctions) Are you confident Grey Flannel was notified that it was not legit, and if so, did they see it thrugh until the completion of the auction or pull it? Is it possible that the consignor was notified, had the jersey returned by Grey Flannel and then dumped it on Historic?:confused:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Here is the post:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5487

lund6771
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM

rudy.

Rudy... you let them know about it and they didn't do anything?

kingjammy24
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Rudy... you let them know about it and they didn't do anything?

mmhmm. but that's not exactly a shocker. i've notified them of several things over the years that remained up. there was nothing right about the mcgriff. i wonder if the same person is responsible for the bailor? i've seen a few other bad 70s/80s jays jerseys. usually the same issues; frankenstein pieces that someone cobbled together. dave miedema wrote about that specific mcgriff on the mears website. i can't find the article anymore but from what i recall i believe he said he had seen the mcgriff in person and it was clearly entirely homemade. i don't want to put words in his mouth but that's what i recall.

i imagine whoever bought it eventually realized it was bad and they dumped it into historic who in turn sold it again.

rudy.

lund6771
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
mmhmm. but that's not exactly a shocker. i've notified them of several things over the years that remained up. there was nothing right about the mcgriff. i wonder if the same person is responsible for the bailor? i've seen a few other bad 70s/80s jays jerseys. usually the same issues; frankenstein pieces that someone cobbled together. dave miedema wrote about that specific mcgriff on the mears website. i can't find the article anymore but from what i recall i believe he said he had seen the mcgriff in person and it was clearly entirely homemade. i don't want to put words in his mouth but that's what i recall.

i imagine whoever bought it eventually realized it was bad and they dumped it into historic who in turn sold it again.

rudy.

Just confirms that there was 0% sincerity, on their part, when they proclaimed how "thankful and appreciative" they were during their last auction...

Can't remember exactly how it went...."thankful to protect collectors" or some garbage when it was brought to their attention that there were issues with some of their pieces and they pulled them...maybe the only reason Ricky Ruzzek pulled them is because the FBI reads these boards?