PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between 6200 and 0062

longball123
10-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I mainly collect Nba jerseys, but am starting to get into Mlb jerseys. From what I know 0062 wash tags are game issued/used and 6200 is a retail authentic. However my question is do they make retail authentic jerseys with velcro for the 3rd button? My understanding was if it has velcro it is game issued. Am I right? Because I have found 2 differnt jerseys with a wash tag of 6200, but the both have velcro for the 3rd button. So are they retal or issued? I hope someone can clarify.

Metsfan808
10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Having the velcro does not make the jersey game issued. Mets jerseys retail and authentic have the velcro, as do the Phillies, A's, and a couple of other teams that I can not think of off the top of my head.

Retail and game issued jerseys made for the MLB are exactly the same. the difference is that the game issued may get some alterations in legnth, sleeves or tapering that the retail authentics do not.

allstarsplus
10-06-2008, 07:03 AM
do they make retail authentic jerseys with velcro for the 3rd button

There are many good jersey/team stores and someone with sewing skills that can add velcro which doesn't make it Game Used/Issued and there are some stadium stores like the Mets and Phillies that sell them that way.

You always want to make sure that you have done the rest of your homework.

Vintagedeputy
10-06-2008, 08:49 AM
6138 :)

TNTtoys
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
If it helps, a very large number of retail authentics that I own have velcro between the buttons. This is very common on even the jerseys Majestic & other manufacturers send to the stores.

longball123
10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh ok thanks for your help with this! I am new the this form, but think I will come to it before I make my next buy.

Danny899
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I mainly collect Nba jerseys, but am starting to get into Mlb jerseys. From what I know 0062 wash tags are game issued/used and 6200 is a retail authentic.

Hello,
Do not believe the fiction story that only 0062's are gamers. This is an old theory of some that is just not true. While most 0062's are genuine gamers, providing they have decent provenance to go along with it, there are many 6200's out there that came directly from the player or his representative that are in fact game used by the athlete. Knowledgable collectors know this and also will realize that slight deviations in tagging, size, fonts or tailoring does not automatically mean a jersey is not a true gamer. Do some research and you may find a nice piece that someone else would pass over as having, "too many red flags." Hope this helps. Good luck!

wjonesIII
10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello,
Do not believe the fiction story that only 0062's are gamers. This is an old theory of some that is just not true. While most 0062's are genuine gamers, providing they have decent provenance to go along with it, there are many 6200's out there that came directly from the player or his representative that are in fact game used by the athlete. Knowledgable collectors know this and also will realize that slight deviations in tagging, size, fonts or tailoring does not automatically mean a jersey is not a true gamer. Do some research and you may find a nice piece that someone else would pass over as having, "too many red flags." Hope this helps. Good luck!

That is a very good observation. However, if you send a 6200 jersey to MEARS, they could very well determine the jersey unable to authenticate due to the jersey not being team issued. I have a friend that happened to, even though the player had already said it was worn in a game.

allstarsplus
10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
That is a very good observation. However, if you send a 6200 jersey to MEARS, they could very well determine the jersey unable to authenticate due to the jersey not being team issued. I have a friend that happened to, even though the player had already said it was worn in a game.

WjonesIII - I agree with you. I know someone too this happened to. The guy got it direct from the player for the purpose of reselling it so it got sent in to MEARs who rejected it due to the 6200 with no other provenance.

Does anyone know if that is in fact a MEARs policy?

wjonesIII
10-10-2008, 10:21 AM
WjonesIII - I agree with you. I know someone too this happened to. The guy got it direct from the player for the purpose of reselling it so it got sent in to MEARs who rejected it due to the 6200 with no other provenance.

Does anyone know if that is in fact a MEARs policy?

The worst part about it is that MEARS told my friend that it would be unethical of him to resell the jersey without mention of MEARS opinion, and described the use on the jersey as "fabricated", "fake", or something of the sort. Basically, even though the player confirmed the authenticity and signed the jersey, MEARS wants my friend to try to sell the jersey with a letter that falsely describes the use as fabricated. It's not right. Surely if the jersey makes it to auction without the MEARS paperwork, then MEARS will blast the item on their site. They have a right to their opinion, but it's no different that when JSA or PSA rejects a real autograph. Why should sell an autograph I got myself and tell people JSA or PSA said it's fake?