PDA

View Full Version : ??Wanted??

skyking26
10-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Human nature to want. Desire is like the air we breathe. I like so many post the same wants about every 10 days to the same audience, and so do so many others. With that said, are we really going to find what we are looking for???

RK

TNTtoys
10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I'll chime in... Going back to my wants lists here, I'll try to cover the "wish list" items I have been consistently looking for in the past few years, and whether or not I actually found it (if so, where). Sadly, the "wanted" section hasn't helped much, but we keep posting there with the hope that some day it may pan out...

1. 1982 Mets blue alternate jersey: FOUND (but not here... found at the National hidden under another jersey at the table of a sports card dealer)

2. 1983 Mets blue alternates: not found

3. 1983 Mets blue road BPs: FOUND (but not here... purchased from Ball Park Heroes)

4. 1994 Mets blue road BP: not found

5. Keith Hernandez game used bat showing good use: not found

6. Game used Robin Ventura nickname bat "Stumpy": not found

7. 1999 Turn Ahead the Clock Brewers "barrel man" cap: not found

8. 1987 Mets road and road BP jerseys: have found many over the years from many different sources, but these are not exactly rare items.

BergerKing22784
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I think it really depends on the item(s) you are looking for. I will admit I reposted my wants all the time just to keep it fresh in peoples minds.

I think sometimes it is easy for people who have items you want to miss post.

I am a pack rat and I just can not bring myself to sell anything I own but I have seen things other people are looking for that I own but I know if I ever do decide to unload some things I probaby wont be going through post to track who wanted it down so I would advise every so often reposting what your looking for.

It is funny though how i wont "bump" my post but someone else will and all of the sudden I will have like 7 emails from people about my want list and what they have for sale and I am like why all the sudden are people offering me things I asked for months ago? I come on here and see someone bumped it to the front for me.

To me its worth the few mins required to make a want post if by some chance someone new may see it or if someone has an item I want finally decides to sell. I am only losing couple minutes of my life that I would probably have wasted doing nothing besides looking at the same espn main web page anyway.

Yankwood
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I have posted wanting Rochester Red Wings flannel jerseys for a few years now and I have come up with 1 as a result. They are like gold and very tough to come across and if I told you what I paid for it you would have me institutionalized, but it's what makes it so much fun. There are many leads but not many pots of gold at the end of the rainbow....

jwasserman
10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I picked up a Gooden glove and had another user contact me with a jersey I never thought I'd get a chance to own. This site has been very good to me. I've also used the wanted forum to contact users to alert them to pieces I thought they might be interested and where they could pick get them.

skyking26
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
My wants must be specialized: Kingman/Thome/McGwire/Dunn/68 and 84 Tiger bats. I get very little response. No complaint mind you as this is a free thing. I'm just surprised at lack of overall response, or quite possibly the items reside in a collectors home and they want to keep them, or finally the reach by the forum just does not get a wide enough sample...

ultimetfan
10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'll chime in, since I had dealings with two of the members in this thread.

I used to collect all things Mets. After 20 years, I had to limit myself somehow. Lack of space, lack of funds ( I have since gotten married and had a beautiful daughter, that takes up most (read all) of my disposable income) and a general feeling that I can never collect everything, led to limit "the beast" in the following ways:

1. 1986 Mets Bat collection. It started with just the lineup. Then just the playoff roster. Now I am five bats short of every player who had an at bat or threw a pitch. I may never get those bats, but I never thought I'd get a Tim Corcoran, a Doug Sisk, a Stanley Jefferson, a Danny Heep and the three or four other bats I have gotten either directly through this forum or through tips from other members.

2. Mets Catchers. When I realized that I cant collect GU Items from every player, I tried to isolate a few that I would focus on. Gary Carter is my all time favorite player, with Mike Piazza, Todd Hundley, and John Stearns not too far behind. Notice a trend, here? I collect uni's, gear, bats, etc. from any player who caught, even only a game, for the Mets. Throughthis forum I have either directly, or from tips, picked up tens of items from my "wish list", and for that I am grateful.

Finally, this forum has connected me to three or four individuals that I have a genuine friendship with, and how can you put a value on that?

Just my .02 Thanks, Everyone.

Best
Jessie

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR METS CATCHER ITEMS and bats from: Bruce Berenyl, Ed Lynch, Randy Niemann, Rick Anderson, and John Mitchell

skyking26
10-02-2008, 08:14 PM
It hasn't been a total loss for me. No equipment connections, but alot of hobby friendships not limited to Rob Steinmetz, Roger Ward, Steve Burlison, Mike Specht, Carl Hicks, Jim Caravello and alot of continued relationships that I have known since the early 90's. Those you can't measure.

Actual collectibles not so much, but that is ok I guess...

RK

metsbats
10-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I posted for things that are impossible to find like any Ed Hearn gamers, Mets postseason bats from the previous years they've been in the post season, and a Carlos Delgado's 2006 1986 throwback pants.

I've received many tips from other members and have found a couple of items. When first joined the forum in just 1 month a member (whom I unfortunately forgot who it was) pointed me out to a Lenny Dykstra 1986 WS bat in a Vintage Authentics auction and thru a group bid this year with 4 other forum members I added a Carter 88 NLCS and a Auguliera 1986 NLCS bat to my collection. Jim (vintagedeputy) alerted me to an Ed Hearn gamer on ebay a while back too which I was able to get.

So I think with time and little bid of luck (ie being in the right place at the right time) one can find what they are looking for.

Now if i can only get those Delgado pants. I know they are out there somewhere.

-David

harpt
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM
It has been a moderate success for me in that I have picked up a few things. The biggest problem I have is that--like others--there is another person on here who collects the same things as I.

This guy posts in the wanted section like there is no tomorrow. Often he will post right after one of my posts asking for the same items. It gets frustrating, but I guess I could just do the same thing. The problem is, if I use the same tactics, this site will just be overrun with ads looking for brewers stuff. That wouldn't be fair.

Oh well, I'll take them when I can get them. The truth is, this site has been a lot more positive than not for me.

SkubeBats
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Scott,
I'm sorry that we collect the same team and items. I figure if I find any items that I already have I can always pass this information onto you. I don't make my posts to p-ss you off!! I'm just trying to find items that I collect. I hope you understand this and no hard fellings. GO BREWERS!!
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

harpt
10-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Jamie,

You have 3 want ads posted this week alone...and this is a slow week for you. I think any reasonable person could assume that the issue here is not that you collect the same thing as someone else.

Bottom line: You're not breaking any forum rules that I know of, and your aggressiveness probably gets you a lot of items. You're not here to make friends, you're here to get bats so go for it. However you decide to conduct your business is really none of my business...I was just sharing a frustration to answer the question in the thread.

And I agree...GO BREWERS!

Vintagedeputy
10-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Scott,
I'm sorry that we collect the same team and items. I figure if I find any items that I already have I can always pass this information onto you. I don't make my posts to p-ss you off!! I'm just trying to find items that I collect. I hope you understand this and no hard fellings. GO BREWERS!!
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

I wish that I had some Brewers stuff! Then you guys could get into a bidding war, and I use that money to buy more Brewers stuff, and so the vicious cycle continues! :) :)

SkubeBats
10-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Scott,
Yes I do have a couple of post under the wanted section but there all for different items. I know we collect the Brewers but my focus is on bats and yours is on powder blue jersey's. I hope we both can find the items were looking for. Like I said before if I come across any items I think you would like I promise to pass this information onto you and I hope you can do the same for me. Scott, I'm not only on this forum just for bats I'm also on here to from friendships with other forum member. I have made many friends on here over the couple of year I've been on this GUU forum. Tim (HOFBATS) is coming over to my house tonight to see my Brewers collection he is one of many poeple I've meet on this forum. His sister only lives ten minutes from my house. I hope the Brewers can pull out a couple of game and move on in the Playoffs. GO BREWERS!!
THANKS,
JAMIE

Larry Pelliccioni
10-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I have been very pleased with the results of my postings. In particular I would like to recongnize and thank Andrew Lang who responded to one of my wants and has become a source for repeated purchases. He is top drawer in my book and I would probably have never met him were it not for this Forum.
Thank you Chris and Andrew.
Larry Pelliccioni