PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Bat on Ebay

jboosted92
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Im sure this will get alot of attention...Bat experts, let me know what you think

http://cgi.ebay.com/1924-Detroit-Tigers-Ty-Cobb-Louisville-Slugger-Game-Bat_W0QQitemZ8782997435QQcategoryZ60596QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

ghostkid
03-27-2006, 10:36 PM
The Ty Cobb Hillerich & Bradsby bat on ebay sold for $5500. That's really a great deal if the bat is a 1920's Ty Cobb professional model bat with lathe marks and side writing. Anyone have thoughts about why the bat went for so cheap? I noticed the description mentioned the possibility that the knob had been shaved/sanded down to remove inch marks. It didn't look that way to me from the pictures, but pictures don't always tell the shole story. I tried to contact the seller for a full week but never did get a reply. Without getting answers to my questions, I decided not to risk a big wad of cash on the bat. That said, I'll kick myself if I see the bat sell in a Mastro auction for $80-100K later this year.

Kevin Kasper

MGHProductions
03-27-2006, 11:27 PM
The bat looked funny to me. First it looks like it was refinished at some point and I also think the lathe mark were not from the factory. The top of the barrel looks like to much of a curve and the last thing that bothers me is, that even though it was late 20's bat, almost all Cobb gamers that I have seen have the bigger bolder Ty Cobb Signature on them. Thats just my two cents. There were two many negatives for me to go after it. Plus where were guys like Zane and Dave?
I'm with ghostkid, I hope I didnt miss a good one.

jboosted92
03-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I thought the lathe marks were a little sketchy myself, in regards to patina. I have a 40k hand-turned cobb bat, (MEARS'ed) that has those marks, but you can tell its 90 years old...and didnt look like it was made yesterday..

ghostkid
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I thought the lathe marks were a little sketchy myself, in regards to patina. I have a 40k hand-turned cobb bat, (MEARS'ed) that has those marks, but you can tell its 90 years old...and didnt look like it was made yesterday..

I also have a 40K Ty Cobb bat from the 20's with fantastic patina. The problem with mine is that the knob has several scars. I'm fairly certain there are no inch marks, but the scarring makes it difficult to know for sure. I'm waiting until I have access to good equipment before I can be certain. Mine is exactly 34 inches and weighs close to 35 ounces. I'd love to see some pictures and hear about the specs of your 40K Cobb. My email address is kevinkasper@netzero.com

Thanks,
Kevin Kasper