PDA

View Full Version : MeiGray's new Shea 410 ft Wall

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 12:35 AM
In David's thread on increased security at today's game at Shea he provided a photo illustrating his point. His photo also shows something else. It shows a brand new 410 ft outfield wall pad. The new pad is noticeably darker blue than the others that have been there all year bleached from the sun.
So who has the real 410 ft outfield pad? I hope the new one which looks flimsy, isn't going to a paying customer from this forum. Probably paying $10-15,000 for a outfield wall that was used one day.
They can't change it every three innings so it's a smart bet that it has been,and will continue to change,every single game from here on out. Increasing in price to hopefully a game 5 of the world series.
There could be roughly twelve(12)- 410 ft wall pads floating around soon. I did hope MeiGray wouldn't become a bigger version of Steiner but I guess the demand from Shea executives to players,to paying customers forced the issue.
Now,would you want the 410 wall that was there all year or the last one in hopefully game 5 of the World Series?
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/shea1-1.jpg?t=1222579982
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/shea1-2.jpg?t=1222580036

metsbats
09-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Robert,

Here's a photo from a game i attended on Aug 10.

The 410 panel blends in with the others therefore the panel in today's photo which seems to not blend would have to have been placed there afterwards or recently.

I also attached a photo from 2007 of the 410 panel.

Does my eyes decieve me or does the 2007 panel look different than the 2008 Aug version? The 410 seems lower in the 2007 photo.

David

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Outfield Wall Panel 338 with Foul LineFieldFieldOutfield Wall Panel Outfield Wall Panel 371FieldFieldOutfield Wall Panel Outfield Wall Panel 371 (Two Panels)FieldFieldOutfield Wall Panel

Oddly enough, the 410 panel does not even appear in the inventory list.

The 338, 371 panels do.

So where have all the 410 panels gone?

David

David

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Robert,

Here's a photo from the 9/25 Thurs game I attended.

Check out the 410 panel. It blends in perfectly.

What do you think?

David

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:23 AM
These AIG panels look new too. The panels which Endy made the leaping catch in 2006 are gone too. I think the reason had more to do with political correctness as we all know that AIG does not have "the strength to be there" anymore.

-David

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 01:31 AM
So glad their tearing that place down,its no yankee stadium.Hey swoboda if the mets are at game five of the world series they must be selling hot dogs at fenway.

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:36 AM
So glad their tearing that place down,its no yankee stadium.Hey swoboda if the mets are at game five of the world series they must be selling hot dogs at fenway.

yeah, Right next to Girardi's Gelato stand, Rivera's Ribeyes grill, and Jeter's Orange Julius stand:D

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Robert,

I sent an email to MeiGray asking them to comment on the appearance of the new 410 panel.

-David

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 01:37 AM
I see what you mean but if I had to guess I would say the '07 is the same as August. The "old" 410 rose higher off the ground than the small width pad to its right. Now in your photo from today the new 410 is noticeably longer practically touching the warning track. We can say now with certainty that its new. It's advertised on TV as if its available but yes,it has obviously been spoken for. I have a guess who has it. And I say 'has" now because it's already gone!
The 9/25 game had the old 410 wall still. There was only one used untill recently.
Any new 410 wall pad is "Steinered" in my opinion. But you have to admit these are the same types that change the bases every 3 seconds you think they are going to pass up on a $100 investment(wholesale cost of the wall pad)that can realize a $14,900 profit? I don't think so.
Come to think of it now,if they don't change the wall every game ,here on out that would be a bad business decision. Actually I would have every "number" pad changed and hologramed every game from now on and even if it doesn't sell right away,it will eventually. If they dont they're making a big mistake and should be fired with us replacing them. What do you think of them apples.
And we've heard nothing on who's possibly selling the turf. Have they forgotten the most wanted item next to the seats? Which can be cut into any size and price range. Fire them all I say.

metsbats
09-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I see what you mean but if I had to guess I would say the '07 is the same as August. The "old" 410 rose higher off the ground than the small width pad to its right. Now in your photo from today the new 410 is noticeably longer practically touching the warning track. We can say now with certainty that its new. It's advertised on TV as if its available but yes,it has obviously been spoken for. I have a guess who has it. And I say 'has" now because it's already gone!
The 9/25 game had the old 410 wall still. There was only one used untill recently.
Any new 410 wall pad is "Steinered" in my opinion. But you have to admit these are the same types that change the bases every 3 seconds you think they are going to pass up on a $100 investment(wholesale cost of the wall pad)that can realize a $14,900 profit? I don't think so.
Come to think of it now,if they don't change the wall every game ,here on out that would be a bad business decision. Actually I would have every "number" pad changed and hologramed every game from now on and even if it doesn't sell right away,it will eventually. If they dont they're making a big mistake and should be fired with us replacing them. What do you think of them apples.
And we've heard nothing on who's possibly selling the turf. Have they forgotten the most wanted item next to the seats? Which can be cut into any size and price range. Fire them all I say.

Given that the 410 panel was not on the public listing the panel was already sold. I totally agree with you on that one.

But why take it out 3 days before the final weekend series? Does the buyer know the 410 panel is not the one from the final games that he or she has?

I guess they can market the new panel as the last panel at Shea used for the last game.

Bases I can understand changing but large items like panels is overkill but profitable.

David

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Well in reference to asking MeiGray,it would be an issue if it was originally for sale but it's not. Still interested in their response though.
Again,they'd be making a financial blunder by not changing the numbered outfield pads from here on out. At least make a NLCS set a World Series Set,last home series set.
Let me undo the jinx I just did my mentioning the NLCS,and W.S......there,done.

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 08:27 AM
I would like a base but they are a $1000 on mlb :mad:

metsbats
09-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Are the Mets going to change the bases every three innnings or doing the same as the Yankees every half inning?

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
If they are changing wall panels it would nor surprise me one bit.I would like to know how many bases were collected throughout the season.If they did not change bases and do change them during the todays game that would give them 486 all together.Seems like a small number for the last season of Shea.A $1000 a clip the Mets have auctioned off some $486,000 seems like a nice profit.But I am sure the last game bases would be worth more.But say you change bases every inning that is 27.How did the Yankees use 53 that last game??

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Meigray is better than Steiner (didn't you get that feeling when you first became aware of them,handling the Texas Rangers jerseys?)so they're not going to make a financial blunder like not also changing the bases ,every half inning in what could be the last game at Shea.

By the by,would you purchase a seat if it was only in Shea for one game?

metsbats
09-28-2008, 09:08 AM
If they are changing wall panels it would nor surprise me one bit.I would like to know how many bases were collected throughout the season.If they did not change bases and do change them during the todays game that would give them 486 all together.Seems like a small number for the last season of Shea.A $1000 a clip the Mets have auctioned off some $486,000 seems like a nice profit.But I am sure the last game bases would be worth more.But say you change bases every inning that is 27.How did the Yankees use 53 that last game??

We need to hear from Meigray to determine if they are in fact changing panel. So far its only isolated to the 410 panel which was not even on the inventory. Should be a interesting story and I hope MeiGray tells us what that story is. Kudos to Robert's sharpe eye.

The last weekend series and particular special games (ie subway series player reaching milestones) carry a premium however regarding the milestone bases there was a Forum discussion if the milestone was say Delgado's 450's homerun was the base the actual base he stepped on during the milestone or just the other bases from that particular game.

The Yankees changed bases every half inning (sorry if i said inning). 6 x 9 = 54.

David

Vintagedeputy
09-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe some former player asked to buy it before the sale?

metsbats
09-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Maybe some former player asked to buy it before the sale?

I'm guessing it was taken by the Mets as part of their Museum at CitiField. They have to keep some artifacts themselves and why not the panel from the deepest part of the old ball park as one of them.

David

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Henpecked44-I'm glad you finally realize that it will be the Red Sox in the World Series. "You're" not even better than Tampa. You got to get rid of the old guys. Hey,did you ever realize how old Jeter looks compared to photos of just a few years ago? Seriously, his face looks fuller now and if you look at the Arizona series he looks thinner,leaner. How could someone,and the team, get that old that fast?
What is Stan's and The Tavern going to do with all that extra beer?

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 09:40 AM

A World Series Game :D.

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Are you guys going today??

metsbats
09-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Meigray is better than Steiner (didn't you get that feeling when you first became aware of them,handling the Texas Rangers jerseys?)so they're not going to make a financial blunder like not also changing the bases ,every half inning in what could be the last game at Shea.

I don't think MeiGray is involved with game day memorabilia and Amazing Memorabilia has been on the mets.com site selling the bases on auction and direct in conjunction with MLB.

MeiGray is only involved with the selling of the pieces of the Stadium off the field like the panel we are discussing.

So whatever is decided about the base in todays game will not involve
MeiGray and only the Mets and MLB.

In my conversation with the MLB person on Friday he indicated they will be on the field after the last game (should today's game be the last game) starting to collect dirt.

David

metsbats
09-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Are you guys going today??

Unfortunately I have a wedding to go to today so my last game was yesterday. If I chose the Mets over going to a family wedding it would be hard for me to justify all the memoribilia I purchased from MeiGray:D

David

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Any word if the Mets are handling there items next season ??

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Vintagedeputy-I don't think former players,who are used to getting things for nothing,are getting the wall. The Yankees,of all teams,were told in no uncertain terms on the last Stadium home game,don't take anything except the jersey your wearing. To hear Bud Harrelson and Ron Darling recently hinting that they would "love to have their locker" (especially Harrelson)its almost sad and you know MeiGray and management never told them what we knew.

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately I have a wedding to go to today so my last game was yesterday. If I chose the Mets over going to a family wedding it would be hard for me to justify all the memoribilia I purchased from MeiGray:D David

Well at least you saw a great game yesterday.I was planning on going getting tickets and then the wife had to go away this weekend work related 3 days so I am home and its raining.She is my Mets companion so that went out the door...

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Not going today,spent all my money yesterday w/Ventura and besides, the family is yelling for me to get of the G-damn computer while my wife is screaming that we're "trekkies".

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 10:01 AM
No wife here a nice quiet day at home.But I have been there as far as the yelling part goes ;)

shafrancollectibles.com
09-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I saw this post and then picked up Newsday and noticed a small article about Meigray and Mets memorabilia - the end of the article mentions that Barry bought the 410 panel for himself. Let me see if I can get a link.

shafrancollectibles.com
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Here you go:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spbest0928,0,6627354.column

metsbats
09-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Here you go:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spbest0928,0,6627354.column

Thank you! Mystery solved.

metsbats
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
But this begs the question what is to be of the new 410 and why the original was removed prior to the last weekend series? There are now two panels with different significances.

David

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Obviously,Barry isn't taking any chances with the 410 wall disappearing in the middle of the night. I don't blame him and if I were in his position,I would also have taken it just in case. But I still believe the new one should be hologramed /photograped and changed every game (along with the other numbered pads)since we got to this point. Warehouse them and they will eventually sell if they don't what did you do,waste $100 in plywood and foam padding? If I'm Barry its changed at least every series if not every game,here on out.
I would put my Barry bashing aside and put my nickles together for a 3 foot piece of the right field foul pole,net and all I hope.

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
One last thing before I settle in for the game,
1-who's selling the turf? if not I'm following the dumpster like I did when the Yankees removed every blade of grass after losing the NLCS to the Red Sox and dumped it in a dumpster on River Ave(later I'll show photos of me picking the foul line turf(7 inches thick)and walking away. I still have the turf if there are any Red Sox fans who want the ground the Yanks choked on-photos will be included-its available.

2. Who's selling the main scoreboard or pieces from it?

costas
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
that's all he had to pay $5,000? wonder how much it would have went if it was for sale to the public?

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
One last thing,as Columbo says. Take an existing plain outfield pad and make that the "new" 410 ft wall. At least it would have been there all year and all you would have to do is paint the 410.

P.S. Did you know that the N.Y. license plate "410 ft" is unavailable and in use by someone?

enjoy the game see you later

yanks12025
09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Swoboda4,
I dont know if it was a joke or not but the yankees never played the red sox's in the NLCS.

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I meant 2004 ALCS. On Nov 5,2004 as I drove south on River Ave a dumpster was placed outside Yankee Stadium on the sidewalk F/O the roll down gates at the old bullpen in right. I looked inside and it was 1-2 foot squares approx 5 inches thick of sod. The field was completely bare. As if the Yankees wanted no part of the grass that the collapse happened on. I took 7 thick pieces one of which has a foul line stripe on it and still does. Only for a Red Sox fan.

yanks12025
09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Thats cool. When you get a chance i would like to see a photo of it.

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Just heard that the mets will be selling their whole stadium for a bag of game used baseballs and some relief pitchers.

TFig27
09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I meant 2004 ALCS. On Nov 5,2004 as I drove south on River Ave a dumpster was placed outside Yankee Stadium on the sidewalk F/O the roll down gates at the old bullpen in right. I looked inside and it was 1-2 foot squares approx 5 inches thick of sod. The field was completely bare. As if the Yankees wanted no part of the grass that the collapse happened on. I took 7 thick pieces one of which has a foul line stripe on it and still does. Only for a Red Sox fan.

I am a Yankees fan, but was at game 5 in Fenway and game 6 + 7 at Yankee Stadium. If you really are selling pieces, I would be interested.

My email: TFig27@aol.com

Thanks
Tom

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 07:16 PM
SWOBODA-To bad we all get old looking.Jeter is still going to listed as one of the greatest Yanks of all time when all is said and done.He is a class act.When i see mets game end and that cancer Jose Reyes has his jersey hanging out before the last out it makes me sick.The mets(not all of them) could learn a thing or two from the Yankee organization like class,pride,and respect for the other team.Its two bad that alot of players today don't have any respect for the game. Showing up the other team,showing up your manager and of course not showing the proper respect when our national anthem is being played is all way to common now.Remember Lastings Milledge dancing around the bases last year,high fiving fans,and wearing a crucifix that was bigger then mr. mets head.You know where he learned that-from the mets (reyes)that were on the team already.At the end of the day i would rather my son grow up to be like a Derek Jeter and not like a Jose(ass clown) Reyes.Now i don't hate the Mets,i would have rather them made the playoffs,at least i could stilll have watched a NY team play, but the Mets have to overcome this end of season funk they go into in the last two years.Some of their players just get lazy and don't have that drive they are going to need to win.I know all of you will say the Mets are great, Yanks suck but the yankees have made it every year since 1995 and in 1994(strike year) they would have won it all.Thats a pretty good record. So in closing I hope the yankees and mets are in the world series next year so the yanks can crush the mets again. And i hope C.C gives Reyes some chin music and puts a stop to his dancing career.

dcrules01
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
So what happens to the jerseys the old players wore during the ceremony???It looks like Mitchell and Ness and Majestic did them...

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Its Boston vs Dodgers in the World Series.
Dodgers 4 Boston 2

I'm going to hang out in the Vintage Memorabilia Section for the duration of the winter and decompress from the changing the bases every half inning mentality. Excuse me while I walk into the cornfield.....back to 1969. See you in April at CitiField.(Oh,and henpecked44 your new Yankee stadium looks like your old Yankee Stadium,only 500 ft further north into the ghetto,that made a lot of sense.)
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16785918.jpg?size=67&uid={5d37c484-47ff-4bbf-a923-a90f55df8068}

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Just Remember Greatest Franchise In Sports History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How Come The Yankees Last Game Cermony Lastest Hours And The Mets Was For Twenty Minutes-oh Yeah The Yanks Have A History.

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh Yeah And Its Angels In 5.

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Your ceremony was a re-hash of the all star game with John Sterling screaming into the mike. The Shea ceremony was more emotional and as far as the few times we get into a Series,I wouldn't trade '69 or '86 for all the many wins that all look alike that you got. An '86 Met win is worth 6 of your B.S. world series titles. WOW beat San Diego in 4 straight what a celebration. Your titles are un-emotional. And you have to go to a history book to see them anymore. and what are you doing on TV anyhow? You know I get calls from back home ,they think you went batsh*t. Get that through your head you J#@mo%#er**%5er.

jppopma
09-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Why would Barry want them to change the 410 wall every game? He paid $5,000 for a one of a kind item and has control over the sales. Do you think he would pay that money for a one of a few 410 walls....

Barry is a very smart guy and I agree with the post saying that he likely removed it to make sure its safe from vandals or theft. I also doubt that the new 410 wall will even be offered, just to maintain the value of the one he bought.

Swoboda4
09-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I hope this last 410 wall will go to CitiField rotunda but everything has a price it seems. Enough,knock the Stadium down,make the parking lot and mark where home plate was and let us play on it already. Besides,I think we'll like the new park come April.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11142006/photos/news004.jpg

HENMICK44
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Excuse Me If I'm Wrong The Padres Were The Best In The National League In 1998.its Not My Fault The National League Is The Red Haired Step Bother Of Baseball.you Would Trade 26 World Series Championships For The '69,and '86 Mets-i Rest My Case You Honor.

HENMICK44
09-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Swoboda-do You Wear The Same Suits As Ace Rothstein?

kylehess10
09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Enough,knock the Stadium down,make the parking lot and mark where home plate was and let us play on it already. Besides,I think we'll like the new park come April.

That's what the Braves did for old Fulton County Stadium. Right now it's a parking lot but home plate, the bases, basepaths, infield outlines, and outfield lines are all marked. You can go there and technically play on a real major league field if you wanted. No sliding though!

Swoboda4
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Our new field faces the water,the sunset and the New York Skyline yours faces Anderson Avenue with gunshot victims enroute to Bronx Lebanon hospital adult E/R.

Swoboda4
09-29-2008, 12:19 AM
That was for Henpecked44 in the Bronx, NOT Kylehess10 in Atlanta.

Swoboda4
09-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I hope they do that with Shea Kyle

jppopma
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey they can always just let it sit there and rot like old Tiger stadium. Creakheads need places to sleep anyway.

BarryMeisel
09-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi everybody,

Just returned from Shea after the first of what will be 15 long days removing Shea Memorabilia.

The 410 wall pad used Saturday and today was a new pad introduced by the Mets solely for the purpose of having an archival copy of the important artifact for their collection.

As the owner of MeiGray and the first person in line to purchase Shea Memorabilia (I've been a Mets fan all my life and first attended Shea in 1964), I bought the original 410 wall pad that had been used in all but the last two games.

It was an artifact I've dreamed about owning ever since I heard about plans for new CitiField.

We removed the 410 pad from the first master list so that Premiere Club Members did not think it would be available and be disappointed. And the Mets made it clear to me they had no intention of doing anything but using a second 410-pad so they could have one for their archives.

Hope this explains,
Barry

kylehess10
09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
I hope they do that with Shea Kyle

Yes.....it's very neat to have here in Atlanta. Here's a view of it from google earth:

metsbats
09-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi everybody,

Just returned from Shea after the first of what will be 15 long days removing Shea Memorabilia.

The 410 wall pad used Saturday and today was a new pad introduced by the Mets solely for the purpose of having an archival copy of the important artifact for their collection.

As the owner of MeiGray and the first person in line to purchase Shea Memorabilia (I've been a Mets fan all my life and first attended Shea in 1964), I bought the original 410 wall pad that had been used in all but the last two games.

It was an artifact I've dreamed about owning ever since I heard about plans for new CitiField.

We removed the 410 pad from the first master list so that Premiere Club Members did not think it would be available and be disappointed. And the Mets made it clear to me they had no intention of doing anything but using a second 410-pad so they could have one for their archives.

Hope this explains,
Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for posting and letting us know about this. Congrats on purchasing the 410 panel. I'm sure it will look great in your basement office!

It's also great that the Mets are taking the final 410 panel from the final weekend series at Shea and keeping it for themselves.

David

metsbats
09-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Yes.....it's very neat to have here in Atlanta. Here's a view of it from google earth:

That would definitely be a nice rememberance to Shea if the Mets maintained the footprint of the playing field in the new parking lot.

They have charity games in the parking lots yearly for people who are in wheelchairs and it can be used for that one event at least.

Thanks for sharing Kyle.

David

Swoboda4
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Kyle,that is absolutely great. I can only hope they do that to Shea. I pray to the god of demolished stadia that it happens just like that. The partial 410 area (made of concrete and painted)--parking lot lights painted and positioned where the foul poles stood. And painted blue silhouettes on the ground of Chavez,Agee and Swoboda marking the spot of their great catches. That's what I wish for Ray Kinsella. That's what I wish for. And is there enough magic in the moonlight to make that happen?
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/th_BurtLancaster.jpg

And to Barry, don't mind me it's been a bad month. Don't like to see the old girl go.

HENMICK44
09-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Don't Forget All The Fireworks That Were Thrown At Fans,and The White Powder First Base Line(i Hope Thats Chalk) For You '86 Mets Fans.

ChrisCavalier
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Hello Henmick,

Whether they are in jest or not, I am going to ask that you please refrain from making derogatory comments about the Mets on this thread. I know there are a number of Mets fans on the forum and it likely a very emotional time for them. With them knowing Shea is going away and missing out on the playoff on the last day of the season, I think the last thing they need right now are to see those type of comments about their team.

Thank you in advance for your compliance.