PDA

View Full Version : Can you possibly destroy a nice Gwynn gamer any worse?

hblakewolf
03-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Forum readers-
I personally am not a fan of autographed jerseys. I think the autograph detracts from the jersey. Based on this, I don't need to tell you my thoughts on this Gwynn jersey currently on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Gwynn-AUTOGRAPHED-1998-Game-Used-Hit-2922-Jersey_W0QQitemZ8781792605QQcategoryZ27264QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

I know some Forum readers have asked about removing an autograph from a jersey. Anyone familiar with removing embroidery from a jersey?

OUCH!!!!!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ryan4fregosi
03-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Q: Can you possibly destroy a nice Gwynn gamer any worse?

A: Sure! All you need is a greedy card company and a sharp pair of scissors. Presto!

BaseballGM
03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I generally like auto's on game used items but that thing looks like a bad billboard now. Way too busy and lost in all of that distraction is the fact that Gwynn actually wore it.

suave1477
03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME IS THIS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont mind an autograph i think it can add eye appeal especially the one on this jersey, BUT HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU FOLLOW UP WITH RUINING THE JERSEY BY ADDING THAT GOD AWFUL EMBROIDERY STITCHING.

I HAVE HALF A MIND TO EMAIL THE SELLER AND ASK HIM WHAT HE WAS THINKING!!!!

DONT ASK ME ABOUT THE OTHER HALF TRSENT

Just as advice for anyone here by adding that embroidery to the jersey actually declines the value of the jersey!! By a lot, a jersey is not considered premium value if it has been altered in anyway other then by the team or the player himself.

Yankwood
03-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't know, I kinda like it.

trsent
03-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Upper Deck Authenticated likes to embroider jerseys and have the player sign them. I never liked the concept, I just couldn't figure it out. These were just pro-cut jerseys, and it really ruined the jersey every time I felt.

The worst thing is they keep doing it. The editions generally sell below UDA wholesale cost, and they ruin a nice jersey. I know why they do it. They have to have their athletes autograph a certain number of items each and every year, so they keep coming up with new items to have autographed.

Taking a nice jersey and having this done really doesn't work, but they have been doing it for about eight years now.

RobSteinmetz
03-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Alicia Gwynn had game used "hit" jerseys embroidered like this and sold them to the public. Love it or hate it, the jersey was likely originally purchased from the Gwynn's exactly like this. Not the way I would prefer a Gwynn gamer, but it's not something the seller did.

Swoboda4
03-20-2006, 11:13 AM
I would have preferred(IN THIS ONE CASE-IF this is the way the Gwynn's are going about it..)to have the embroidery smaller and horizontal above the label(at the bottom-not in the middle of the jersey) with the autograph horizontal above the embroidery. The jersey should stand on its own but with all the fakes out there if this is the Gwynn's attempt to make the jersey unique I think it's an idea but not like this!

silverschmidts
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
This one doesn't bother me. I'm a big Gwynn collector (he's my favorite MLBer of all time). I think the thing that makes this one different (and more acceptable) is the fact that so many Gwynn game used jerseys were made available by his wife, especially the ones counting down (or should I say "up") to his 3000th hit. IN other words, Gwynn gamers from 1998 and 1999 are not at all rare, so who cares if a few of them are decorated like this? It's not as though someone altered a Babe Ruth or Joe DiMaggio or Johnny Unitas jersey. I think it's a very personal thing, and it could be that the particular date or game in question has real significance to someone so that it's understandable that they would like to have that data highlighted right on the jersey itself. --Steve

suave1477
03-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Silvershmidts as much as i agree with your saying of these jerseys that there is a plentiful out there of them. No matter what it still decreases that value no matter what way you cut the cake. Altering a jersey is Altering a jersey. Even if there is a lot out there and your interested in buying one now you might have one less opportunity at picking one up cuz this particular date stitched on to the jersey you could careless about!!!

Think of it like this Mickey Mantle being gone and everything he signed tons of baseballs and there is so many on the market like if he was still out there signing today, but a good amount of them are personalized I would not buy a baseball autographed by Mantle saying "Hey George happy birthday" my name isnt george and my birthday is irrelevant to the sport.

samething with altering a jersey with personalized stitches from an outside handler.

It would be another story if Gwynn did it himself but i got a good feeling Tony has better things to do then sew jerseys all day.:rolleyes: