PDA

View Full Version : AMI Steve Carlton

lund6771
09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about this Carlton warm-up?

Don't know much about baseball so any help would be appreciated!!!!

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=46321

hblakewolf
09-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about this Carlton warm-up?

Don't know much about baseball so any help would be appreciated!!!!

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=46321

Lund-

I’ve been collecting game worn Phillies jerseys for over 25 years. I purchased over 600 Phillies jerseys dating from the early 70’s through the mid 90’s directly from the team. Included were several dozen of these maroon pre-games.

I have provided a few photos of my 1980 game worn Carlton pre-game that I obtained directly from the team, to allow a comparison to be made to the jersey being offered by AMI

After a quick review of the photos of the AMI Carlton jersey, it may be easier to mention what’s correct with it as opposed to being questionable!

Here’s a quick summary of the problems with this jersey:

NUMBERS ON BACK: The numbers should be the block style as sewn on the sleeve. The numbers on the back are “curved” style only worn on the game jerseys, not these pregames. Note how the numbers on my jersey are the same style on the sleeve and the back.

NAME ON BACK: The vertical arch lettering is not correct for Wilson or the style used on the Phillies pre-games or jerseys. Specifically, note how the A comes to a point. Wilson style lettering should have a flat (not pointed) top, Likewise, the horizontal right leg on the R is incorrect.

WILSON TAGGING: The rectangular Wilson tag on the AMI jersey has the vertical red stripe. This tag was last used on Phillies jerseys in 1973!!! Likewise, the Phillies first wore these maroon pre-games in 1979. Not only is this tag questionable, but I’ve never seen the smaller Wilson tag sewn into any Phillies game or pre-game jersey. The correct Wilson tag is the standard tag found in the Phillies jerseys, pants, and jackets.

DATE OF JERSEY: The title reads “1970s Steve Carlton Game-Worn, Signed Phillies BP Jersey” however, the description contradicts this and reads “This was worn by the Hall of Famer in the early to mid '80s.” Based strictly on the tagging, it would have to have been worn by Carlton during his first two seasons with the Phillies, 1972 or 1973, however, these jerseys were first worn in 1979.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this gem!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net (hblakewolf@comcast.net)

P.S.-The autograph looks legit!

lund6771
09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Howard...

thanks for your opinion...

however, you obviously have limited knowledge on the subject....so I'm going to with 100% un-authentic analysis and say this Carlton has to be good

and my name is Homer Simpson...

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH