dodgersfan
09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Anyone on this site got arrested?

Rudy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080923/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankee_stadium_theft

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
stupid people......

Saw something on the news where a guy was chipping away at the outside walls hoping to score a chunk of concrete......idiots. I hope they all get jail time.

momen55
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
the place is getting razed, big deal. the yankees would rather stiff someone by selling stuff overly priced than letting fans get something for free. all that is getting torn down and recycled. let the fans have something. so much freakin greed. if it wasn't for the fans, there would be no team to watch.
i was hoping thousands of fans would storm the field like they used to do in the 70's. what was the security going to do then? arrest everyone? mlb gets away with highway robbery all the time but a fan is arrested for taking something. how ridiculous. the yankees have more money than they can shake a stick at and are worried about someone taking a piece of an old seat or dirt? what are they going to do, put the old stuff in the new place? how pathetic!

BULBUS
09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I heard people were detained/arrested for taking paint chips from the foul pole. The foul poles at Yankee Stadium probably have a hundred layers of paint and paint chips are plentiful.

metsbats
09-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Man, I"m appalled. What kind of degenerate would chip off paint chips off a innocent stadium wall :rolleyes:

David

godwulf
09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
They should have done something really classy - for the Yankees, I mean - like giving each person coming into the stadium a small chunk of concrete in a cloth, drawstringed bag, like the souvenirs of the Berlin Wall people were selling back in '89. That probably would have satisfied the average fan, and gone a long way toward cutting down on the "vandalism".

kylehess10
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Did anyone see on ESPN people taking rocks and things like that to chisel away pieces of the outer part of the stadium? They showed a shot of it before the game, and the announcer even said "bring whatever you can to chisel away a piece of the stadium" (or something like that) and they showed some guy breaking off a piece of the stadium, on a side of it that you could tell had already been torn apart by several fans already. Why were THOSE fans detained?

David
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Taking chunks from the wall of a building at any point it's standing isn't a good idea and should be prohibited. Though these offenders will probably get fines not jail times. In sentencing judge will be well aware there was no permanent damage to a wall that will be demolished.

David
09-23-2008, 01:17 PM
There was a recent case in my local newspaper where a teenager was mad at her relative. As revenge, or innocent joke as she claimed, she put an ad in craigslist saying her relative was tearing down the house and the public was welcome to take whatever they wanted. The relative came home one day to see about everything missing from the house, including windows, screen doors, lead pipes, etc. Needless to say, the teenager was in a bit of trouble.

ryan4fregosi
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
The foul poles were repainted every half-inning, as per the Yankees' agreement with Steiner Sports.

David
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
One last comment that sums up the situation.

As my mom would say, "It's not yours to take."

metsbats
09-23-2008, 01:50 PM
The foul poles were repainted every half-inning, as per the Yankees' agreement with Steiner Sports.

They actually changed the flag poles every 3 innings too so there are 6 flag poles available for sale from the last game.

David

OaklandAsFan
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm surprised the Yankees didn't change uniforms after every pitch to flood the market with last game Uni's as well.

godwulf
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Wonder how many flags, pennants and banners they hauled up and down various poles during the game.

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 08:05 PM
the place is getting razed, big deal. the yankees would rather stiff someone by selling stuff overly priced than letting fans get something for free. all that is getting torn down and recycled. let the fans have something. so much freakin greed. if it wasn't for the fans, there would be no team to watch.
i was hoping thousands of fans would storm the field like they used to do in the 70's. what was the security going to do then? arrest everyone? mlb gets away with highway robbery all the time but a fan is arrested for taking something. how ridiculous. the yankees have more money than they can shake a stick at and are worried about someone taking a piece of an old seat or dirt? what are they going to do, put the old stuff in the new place? how pathetic!

So people should be allowed to vandalize something just because its going to be torn down? The building still belongs to someone and what they do with it, profit or not, is not cause for others to plunder it.

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Did anyone see on ESPN people taking rocks and things like that to chisel away pieces of the outer part of the stadium? They showed a shot of it before the game, and the announcer even said "bring whatever you can to chisel away a piece of the stadium" (or something like that) and they showed some guy breaking off a piece of the stadium, on a side of it that you could tell had already been torn apart by several fans already. Why were THOSE fans detained?

I dont think he was saying it as an invitation for others to drive to the stadium with tools. I think he said it in a sarcastic, after the fact tone.....hey, come to a game, bring a chisel, tear down the wall, that's the spirit! (sarcasm)

chicagoglen
09-23-2008, 10:45 PM
First off, this is not intended as an insult to Yankee Collectors but rather a ranting at the greed of MLB and the Yankees. It makes me sick that fans go to jail so Steiner can make another buck. If you don't agree, than let me hear it, but right now I am just furious.

All of this Steiner game used crap will be worth about as much as a 1984 Topps Don Mattingly RC card one day. Steiner is killing the hobby with $1100 gamers like dealers were in the 80's with Mattingly, Bonds, Canseco, and McGuire rookie cards.

Don't waste your money!

Fact:

If Steiner sells every Rodriguez and Jeter bat to the public. Their bats are NOT rare. What do you think will increase their value?? There are going to be a lot of 600 HR Hitters. They don't win Championships anymore. The number of players on OTHER teams with BETTER numbers are staggering! Sure the Yankees are the Yankees but I feel sorry for people spending Steiner money for this crap.

GS

chicagoglen
09-23-2008, 10:47 PM
I heard Yankee Stadium was rehabed and built with mostly Tax Payer money! Hey New Yorkers! How much are you getting from the fire sale???

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
First off, this is not intended as an insult to Yankee Collectors but rather a ranting at the greed of MLB and the Yankees. It makes me sick that fans go to jail so Steiner can make another buck. If you don't agree, than let me hear it, but right now I am just furious.

All of this Steiner game used crap will be worth about as much as a 1984 Topps Don Mattingly RC card one day. Steiner is killing the hobby with $1100 gamers like dealers were in the 80's with Mattingly, Bonds, Canseco, and McGuire rookie cards.

Don't waste your money!

Fact:

If Steiner sells every Rodriguez and Jeter bat to the public. Their bats are NOT rare. What do you think will increase their value?? There are going to be a lot of 600 HR Hitters. They don't win Championships anymore. The number of players on OTHER teams with BETTER numbers are staggering! Sure the Yankees are the Yankees but I feel sorry for people spending Steiner money for this crap.

GS

Steiner's prices are outrageous - no question, no arguement there.

No matter what they charge, no matter who owns the building - no one has the right to damage, steal, vandalize, etc something that doesnt belong to you...Robin Hood was a story, not a way of life. You cant steal from the rich to give to the poor. There is absolutely nothing that can be said in defense to justify a criminal act like this.

chakes89
09-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey VintageDeputy,

If you want to talk about a deal for the Zimmerman Uncracked bat I have available you can email me if you want.

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey VintageDeputy,

If you want to talk about a deal for the Zimmerman Uncracked bat I have available you can email me if you want.

email sent

nyjetsfan14
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
They should have done something really classy - for the Yankees, I mean - like giving each person coming into the stadium a small chunk of concrete in a cloth, drawstringed bag, like the souvenirs of the Berlin Wall people were selling back in '89. That probably would have satisfied the average fan, and gone a long way toward cutting down on the "vandalism".

So you wanted to give 50,000 + New York fans concrete chunks as they streamed into the stadium and straight to the concession lines to buy beer? Yeah, that would have been a great idea :eek:

metsbats
09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
So you wanted to give 50,000 + New York fans concrete chunks as they streamed into the stadium and straight to the concession lines to buy beer? Yeah, that would have been a great idea :eek:

They don't even trust us fans with the plastic bottle and metal bottle caps. These get removed by the concession and vendors before they hand the beverage to you!

nick1980
09-25-2008, 02:24 AM

Don't waste your money!

Fact:

GS

Welcome to America!

Like stated you can't knock someone who has a business that makes money off something just because you or someone else wants it for cheaper.

If you think about it everything we collect here is worth nothing more than the fabric it is made of but for some reason a dirty stinky jersey is worth thousands to some but trust me I know a lot of people who think I'm crazy and wouldn't pay $100 for something I would drop $2,000 on. This hobby is about what people will pay for something, remember we aren't collecting gold, nothing we collect has a absolute value and can change at anytime. I mean look at Bonds items a game used bat or jersey a few years ago was worth a fortune now it is worth 20% what it was.

The people who took things knew they were doing wrong, does that mean I wouldn't have wanted to do the same thing? NO, but if you know that it is wrong then you know you might/will get in trouble.

I hope you look at Wal-Mart the same as you do Steiner

godwulf
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

I'm talking about a little piece about the size of the end of your thumb.

I'm not sure even a New Yorker could figure out how to hurt somebody (or themselves) with a "rock" that size...unless they put it in somebody's beer and made them choke on it.

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm talking about a little piece about the size of the end of your thumb.

I'm not sure even a New Yorker could figure out how to hurt somebody (or themselves) with a "rock" that size...unless they put it in somebody's beer and made them choke on it.

When I was a kid, I watched a man at Yankee Stadium hurling stale bagels off the upper deck....

New Yorkers are a smart bunch...they can kill you with anything. :)

godwulf
09-25-2008, 04:18 PM
When I was a kid, I watched a man at Yankee Stadium hurling stale bagels off the upper deck....

What I hear, Philadelphia fans are a bit more passive, but every bit as bloodthirsty.

Bob Ueker tells the story of seeing a man fall from the upper deck of the stadium in Philly, and how the crowd booed him when he tried to get up. :rolleyes:

dodgersfan
09-25-2008, 04:48 PM
OMG!
That was funny!
I hope the guy was ok.

Rudy

What I hear, Philadelphia fans are a bit more passive, but every bit as bloodthirsty.

Bob Ueker tells the story of seeing a man fall from the upper deck of the stadium in Philly, and how the crowd booed him when he tried to get up. :rolleyes:

metsbats
09-25-2008, 11:13 PM

It's common knowledge that the average New Yorker can make a shiv out of any object including chunks of concrete. Why do you think we aren't allowed to have the beer bottle caps at these Stadiums?

B1SON
09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
You guys might just have to agree to disagree on this one! :D

jppopma
09-26-2008, 03:46 AM
As for the stealing...its a crime (right, wrong, or otherwise). If you beleive you have a "right" to it, then go and sue the Yankees for a piece of whatever you feel you deserve. Best of luck. Everyone has excuses for breaking the law, it gives them something to bitch about in jail about how they were wronged.

But there is hope....I hear Obama will offer pieces of the stadium as part of his entittlement plan.

cjclong
09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
So somebody wishes that fans had stormed the field. That's real class. What was was class was the fans staying in the stands and applauding the players when they walked around the field waving to them. Years form now that will look good and not like the mess we've seen at other games where fans ran out on the field. There was one guy who did run out and the fans around me were pretty disgusted with him. But i guess every group gets blessed with some brainless bozo.

whatupyos
09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
As for the stealing...its a crime (right, wrong, or otherwise). If you beleive you have a "right" to it, then go and sue the Yankees for a piece of whatever you feel you deserve. Best of luck. Everyone has excuses for breaking the law, it gives them something to bitch about in jail about how they were wronged.

But there is hope....I hear Obama will offer pieces of the stadium as part of his entittlement plan.

I love that last line!!! That is purely classic!!!! hahaha