PDA

View Full Version : 54 bases used in final Yankee game!

skipcarayislegend
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Holy crap!

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/yanks-to-players-no-free-stuff-for-you.html

"If you buy a base from the game, you're not getting one of three. MLB authenticators changed the bases each half-inning, giving the Yankees 18 sets of bases to sell as memorabilia or give to VIPs. Every baseball used in the ninth inning was marked before being put into play in much the same manner as when a player is approaching a home run milestone."

allstarsplus
09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Every 1/2 inning???? I thought every inning for All Star games and World Series games were a lot (27 total) for a typical 9 inning game.

They seemed to be saving a lot of baseballs too which seems like a good idea.

Can't wait to see what the bases and balls and other pieces from the game fetch at auction!

TFig27
09-22-2008, 06:03 PM
No bottom of 9th..51 bases

shafrancollectibles.com
09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
It was hard to see as I was in the Tier down the 3rd base line but it looked like the 3rd base in the 4th or 5th inning was just a plain white base while all the others had the Yankee Stadium 1923-2008 logo on top. I was shocked to see them changing bases so frequently - I can't imagine the bases will hold value at $7,500 given that quantity. They must have taken at least 150 balls out of play as well.

On another note, it was truly special to be on the field before the game. I got Phil Hughes, Brett Gardner, Edwar Ramirez and Joe Girardi to sign a ball and shook hands with Mussina and Joba as well. Spent nearly an hour cherishing the opportunity to take it all in from the field!

yanks12025
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Scott,
You are right, for a inning or 2 they had just plain bases out their. Also every other inning they kept putting a cover on home plate when the yankees were warming up. I have no idea what that was for. Also if i knew you were going i could have bought some more 1970's yankee pants from you to add with the Blair and McCall i bought from you.

yanks12025
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Missed the part in your post about you getting autographs, the only one i got was Dave Eiland. Heres a good pic i took of Mussina's cleats and glove. Sorry guys for the giant photos.

shafrancollectibles.com
09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I was trying to figure out the home plate thing as well - they kept popping it on and taking it off.

I am down to just a few pants - I'll e-mail you a revised list.

Brad

cheardjr
10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Where does one go to buy the bases and items from Yankees and Mets final game?

allstarsplus
10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
You can go direct to Yankees-Steiner and call Bob Malandro at 888-265-8954

He is a great guy!