PDA

View Full Version : O/T: I got screwed out of a jersey

whatupyos
09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
So I went to the A's game yesterday. The A's, as some of you know auction off game used pieces at their Saturday and Sunday auctions. They have had their Jackie Robinson jerseys there all year. I've gone to probably 12 games this year looking for one jersey in particular and yesterday they finally had it. Travis Buck's #42 jersey from JR day. As you all know, its a one of a kind jersey for this player. I'm a huge Buck fan because he went to my alma mater, ASU. Anyway, the bidding is silent auction style and ends at the last out in the 5th inning. The high bid was $125.00. I put in a bid at the very end for $605.00. I was nervous, hoping I would win and couldn't take the stress so I went and walked around the stadium while they check all the bids and write down the winning bid. When I came back, I was shocked to see the jersey was gone. I thought...there is no way someone out bid me. I will gladly overpay for an item I truely want. The winning bid was $175.00. I thought what the hell happened!!!

I brought it to the attention of the people holding the auction and sure enough they found my bid and said...oops. (Yeah no kidding oops). I had orginally wrote down 600, but changed the last 0 to a 5. The pencil eraser sucks and it was smudged sightly but totally legible. They realized their mistake. The nice lady said to talk to this other guy, whom I did. He said what can we do to make this up? Now, I wanted to get super pissed, because I feel I deserve the right to be pissed, but I kept my calm as getting pissed wont help the situation. I said, can you get me a Travis Buck game used jersey. They had already given my jersey out and it was their mistake that cost me the jersey I've been looking all year for. It still burns me up thinking about it too. And today was my birthday so I was trying to treat myself to a nice gift.

The guy said he couldn't promise anything but he'd try and talk to the equipment manager and get back to me. I don't see why they couldn't just go into the clubhouse and get me a jersey of his seeing as how it was the second to last game of the year, at home. I'm sure he has at least two home whites lying around. I haven't heard back from them as of yet. I rightfully won the jersey, and because of their mistake, I'm the one whos out of luck. I hope and pray they do the right thing and offer me a game used jersey of Travis Buck. I'm not asking for anything outrageous...just a replacment for the item I won!! And to hear, I can't promise anything, didn't sit quite well with me, but what can I do.

Anyone have any feedback on this...I'd appreciate it. Is there anything I can do legally? I don't want to bring a suit, but something I believe should be done to right a wrong that was on their part, not mine. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

I'm hoping this can be resolved soon. It really ruined my birthday. Just thought I'd vent a bit and see if anyone else had anything like this happen and what the outcome was. I wish I had a contact number to get to them, but I don't...its pretty much in their hands and I'm not expecting they're going to do anything, but I feel they should becasue its the right and fair thing to do. I'll even pay the $605.00 for it, the money goes toward charity, which I'm all good with, I just want my jersey.

Aaron
SunDevil2126628@aol.com

jppopma
09-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Typos,

Sorry to hear that you got screwed. Most of the team auctions that I see at the games require you to give your name and a phone number for them to contact you and complete the sale. Maybe you could talk to team into giving you the info on the guy that got it for $175.

I see alot of the bidding on these go very high, and notice that many of the buyers are just fans who could care less about the jersey two days later. With a little luck, you may get in contact with the guy and offer up a trade or a small profit for the guy and see how that goes.

Best of luck and think positive. You can try to get the number of the buyer as well as another home jersey to buy..and end up with two Bucks.

jppopma
09-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Sorry Aaron...spellcheck attacked your name.

ahuff
09-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Do you want to hear something crazy? I go to local minor league games and try to win jerseys on auction night as well. A very similar scenario played out for me not once, but twice this season!!!! Can you believe that? I hope they make it good for you, but my club pretty much just said I was screwed and "Sorry".

ironmanfan
09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
anytime, I've been in auctions like these, I "babysit" the bid....in other words, I don't leave the table until the auction is over and I'm assured I've won. If it was an item I really wanted, I would never put a huge number on it and leave assuming I'd win..

whatupyos
09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Ironmam Fan:

I know...I should have stayed. I usually do, but just couldn't take it and needed to walk off the stress. I'm kicking myself now.

Thanks for the input thus far. AHuff: Sorry to hear about that, they should have made right on their error. Its just good business.

Like I said, I'm holding out some hope that they make good on their mistake. But the team is on the road now, so who knows. I'm going to be a pain in the ass about this and will try and do what I can to get what I feel I deserve. I didn't even think to ask them to call the guy who won my jersey...I was sooo pissed that they screwed up that I couldn't even see straight and my brain wasn't working. The only thing I could think of was, yeah, you can get me another Buck jersey.

ironmanfan
09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you as I can tell you are upset...The other thing to keep in mind at these type of auctions is that the people running them or player's wives, team interns, etc. who have no idea as to memorabilia, values, etc...They probably saw the $605 and thought...'he can't really mean that'...Hopefully something will come good out of this from the club...