PDA

View Full Version : I cried tonight...

Vintagedeputy
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
when Yogi stood behind the plate....
when Whitey took the mound....
when Bernie smiled from the dugout....
when the crowd chanted Tino, Tino, Tino....
when I heard Bob Sheppard's voice announce Jeter....
when the Murcer family took the field....
when Larson scooped up some dirt....
when Thurman's son stepped onto the grass....
when Chambliss beamed that flashy smile....
when Willie slid into second....
when Wells and Cone and Louisiana Lightning looked like they go nine...

I cried tonight.....

AWA85
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I am the farthest thing from a Yankee fan, but it is weird watching this game as a baseball fan.

metsbats
09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I missed a portion of the ceremony but was anyone there representing Joe DiMaggio. I don't believe he has any living relatives except brother Dom.

-David

skyking26
09-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I cry every day and night when I have to watch a Tigers game thru completion...

AWA85
09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I cry often when Dusty puts Cory Patterson and Paul Bako back to back in the batting order for the Reds.

How many days till opening day?

corsairs22
09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Attending the last game at Forbes Field wasn't so tough on me. But seeing it get knocked down was bad. Still brings me a chill, to quote the poet.

gingi79
09-21-2008, 11:25 PM
As a New Yorker for almost 30 years, goodbye old friend......

bigtime59
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I didn't.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

allstarsplus
09-22-2008, 10:03 AM
ESPN's coverage was great. Having Whitey and Yogi in the booth was great. They also found a young boy holding back the tears at the end of the game.

My favorite moment was Julia Ruth Stevens throwing out the "final" ceremonial 1st pitch.

Noticeably missing was Roger Clemens on the field and the video. OUCH!!!!

I also didn't see any relative to Lou Gehrig (maybe there isn't any).

cjw
09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I enjoyed the game but was upset that my local sports channel providing the ESPN feed srewed up and missed the firts 15 mins! They "connected" just as the last of the starting lineup was being called. What am I pying these montly cable charges for?

Iit was weird watching a Yankees game all the weay through, that didn't have my team (Toronto) invloved or wasn't a playoff game. I am a baseball fan, but as such, I can appreciate the history of the franchise but still can't root for them..not when the Jays reside in the AL east.

Seeing the formaer players remined me of the interactions I have had with the Yanks over the years. Have met and chatted with Bernie (total class act), Arod (he was pleasant but had several female fans distractiing him from our conversation...I wish I had that issue to deal with :)), Clemens (the guy is much-malligned but always was totalling accomodating and kind during our many, many interactions), Wells (not someone I want hang out with), Cone (great guy!..very pleasant), Donnie (excellent guy too!).

All in all, in an alternate universe, I could see myself being a Yankee fan (possibly). chris

skyking26
09-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I enjoyed the game but was upset that my local sports channel providing the ESPN feed srewed up and missed the firts 15 mins! They "connected" just as the last of the starting lineup was being called. What am I pying these montly cable charges for?

Iit was weird watching a Yankees game all the weay through, that didn't have my team (Toronto) invloved or wasn't a playoff game. I am a baseball fan, but as such, I can appreciate the history of the franchise but still can't root for them..not when the Jays reside in the AL east.

Seeing the formaer players remined me of the interactions I have had with the Yanks over the years. Have met and chatted with Bernie (total class act), Arod (he was pleasant but had several female fans distractiing him from our conversation...I wish I had that issue to deal with :)), Clemens (the guy is much-malligned but always was totalling accomodating and kind during our many, many interactions), Wells (not someone I want hang out with), Cone (great guy!..very pleasant), Donnie (excellent guy too!).

All in all, in an alternate universe, I could see myself being a Yankee fan (possibly). chris
Where are you at? I'm about 3 hours outside Toronto by Port Huron, MI. Love Toronto, one of my favorite cities to be sure.

cjw
09-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I live in Vancouver, BC now, put lived for 38 yrs in Toronto and worked for 10 years at the Skydome Hotel. Got to meet and get to know many of the greats , from Hank Aaron and Stan Musial to Ali, Gordie Howe, Clemens and Reggie Jackson. Hammerin' Hank was the best of them all. Got to sit and chat with him for over an hour. Had dinner with Robbie Alomar and Cal Ripken Jr. which was amazing, but Cal was on his pnone for a while and couldn't get to talk to him very long.