PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of ebay seller madison7798?

Falcon
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
He sells a lot of nice stuff at some good prices. Everything has reputable COA, but just curious. Bought a Matt Ryan autographed Falcons helmet from him w/ Falcons team COA, but just thought I'd throw it out to the forum of experts! Thanks in advance for your insight.

http://stores.ebay.com/madison7798

Falcon
09-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Anybody? Anyone able to post some insight by looking at his website...

trsent
09-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Anybody? Anyone able to post some insight by looking at his website...

Other than free advertising for this seller's eBay listings, I am not sure what you are asking.

Anyone can see this seller appears to sell authenticated memorabilia. They have a feedback rating of only 618 since 2000, so they have not been very active on eBay. Their Detailed Seller Ratings are fine, with 245 responses.

So, what did you want anyone to tell you about this seller you couldn't find from their feedback or does this seller just want free publicity to their listings? There are a lot of sellers on eBay, maybe they should all come on here and have someone ask about their listings so their auction get more views.

ndevlin
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Other than free advertising for this seller's eBay listings, I am not sure what you are asking.

Anyone can see this seller appears to sell authenticated memorabilia. They have a feedback rating of only 618 since 2000, so they have not been very active on eBay. Their Detailed Seller Ratings are fine, with 245 responses.

So, what did you want anyone to tell you about this seller you couldn't find from their feedback or does this seller just want free publicity to their listings? There are a lot of sellers on eBay, maybe they should all come on here and have someone ask about their listings so their auction get more views.

Yikes, I'd feel bad if none of that was the case. Or some youngster just wanting to check up on things. Im not saying it is or isnt, but come on, lets lighten up on people, because we dont know everything.

Made in Motown
09-18-2008, 10:01 AM
So, what did you want anyone to tell you about this seller you couldn't find from their feedback

Anybody with the slightest bit of intelligence knows that ebay feedback is a joke. It is very important for people to do their own research on ebay items, which might include asking for help from a board full of people who may have a great deal of experience/insight/expertise.

trsent
09-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Anybody with the slightest bit of intelligence knows that ebay feedback is a joke. It is very important for people to do their own research on ebay items, which might include asking for help from a board full of people who may have a great deal of experience/insight/expertise.

Sorry, just looks like someone hyping an eBay seller to me.

eBay feedback is pretty straightforward and seeing everything certified looks good to me. As a buyer, PayPal protects you, so there should be no issues.

By the way, I did place a bid on one of the seller's items.

jdr3
09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
You did it again, Joel. Congrats.

Falcon
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Wow, never really thought of it that way, that some here would think I was trying to advertise for this seller. But looking back, I can see how someone could be suspicious of that...

Honestly, I only asked that question because in the past, while lingering around this forum, I've learned so much and figured, hey, if I'm nervous about a seller, why not ask you guys? Really, I have no idea who this guy is. He's an australian dude in New York...I live in Hawaii.

I noticed that he had some really nice stuff w/ solid LOA's but what caught my eye was that he had so many different items w/ LOA's from different companies. Is that unusual? I'm new to this hobby and just assumed it was. Also, a lot of his listed stuff sold for a lot less (he accepted lower offers), so again, with the limited knowledge I have, I thought that posting it on this forum was a good way of "doing my homework" which I know is preached here a lot.

If I broke any forum rules, I apologize. Just simply looking to get some help from you guys who know way more about the subject than me.

Falcon
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry one more thing. I noticed a lot of the LOA's he had didn't have holograms. So wouldn't it be possible for someone to basically fund their collection buy purchasing items w/ solid LOA's, than making, say a fake autographed helmet of the same player, and selling the fake item w/ the actual LOA? Sure, he'd be losing the LOA for his item, but who cares, he basically has an authentic autographed item for free.

What would stop someone from doing this?

trsent
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, never really thought of it that way, that some here would think I was trying to advertise for this seller. But looking back, I can see how someone could be suspicious of that...

Honestly, I only asked that question because in the past, while lingering around this forum, I've learned so much and figured, hey, if I'm nervous about a seller, why not ask you guys? Really, I have no idea who this guy is. He's an australian dude in New York...I live in Hawaii.

I noticed that he had some really nice stuff w/ solid LOA's but what caught my eye was that he had so many different items w/ LOA's from different companies. Is that unusual? I'm new to this hobby and just assumed it was. Also, a lot of his listed stuff sold for a lot less (he accepted lower offers), so again, with the limited knowledge I have, I thought that posting it on this forum was a good way of "doing my homework" which I know is preached here a lot.

If I broke any forum rules, I apologize. Just simply looking to get some help from you guys who know way more about the subject than me.

You didn't break any rules - Just people on here assume the worst and I didn't accuse anyone of anything until someone had to step on my comments. I was just wondering why you asked a second time since no one seems to know this seller. They have really just started selling full time on eBay it appears.

I personally deal with Upper Deck Authenticated, PSA/DNA, Schwartz Sports, Mounted Memories, MEARS, and various others so, no, it is not uncommon to find someone with a mis-mosh of items from various authentication houses.

Falcon
09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
You didn't break any rules - Just people on here assume the worst and I didn't accuse anyone of anything until someone had to step on my comments. I was just wondering why you asked a second time since no one seems to know this seller. They have really just started selling full time on eBay it appears.

I personally deal with Upper Deck Authenticated, PSA/DNA, Schwartz Sports, Mounted Memories, MEARS, and various others so, no, it is not uncommon to find someone with a mis-mosh of items from various authentication houses.

It seems like just you "assume the worst"...not anyone else. People at this forum have generally been very helpful, that's why I came here for some help. If you noticed the second time I asked I worded it differently. While I assumed nobody knew the seller, I asked again to see if anyone minded taking a look at his ebay store for me to see if, in their more experienced opinion than mine, thought anything looked fishy. That's all man.

Thanks for your feedback though, I do feel a bit more comfortable bidding on his items now. Appreciate the help.

trsent
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
It seems like just you "assume the worst"...not anyone else. People at this forum have generally been very helpful, that's why I came here for some help. If you noticed the second time I asked I worded it differently. While I assumed nobody knew the seller, I asked again to see if anyone minded taking a look at his ebay store for me to see if, in their more experienced opinion than mine, thought anything looked fishy. That's all man.

Thanks for your feedback though, I do feel a bit more comfortable bidding on his items now. Appreciate the help.

Auctually, you asked for us to look at his web site, which is what confused me in the first place. I couldn't find any web site listed for this seller.

No big deal.

Falcon
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Auctually, you asked for us to look at his web site, which is what confused me in the first place. I couldn't find any web site listed for this seller.

No big deal.

Sorry my words were so confusing for you. By "website" I meant the sellers' ebay store. Didn't realize that someone would click on the link I left and then go searching for a website. My bad.

trsent
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Sorry my words were so confusing for you. By "website" I meant the sellers' ebay store. Didn't realize that someone would click on the link I left and then go searching for a website. My bad.

Sir, please stop. This shouldn't be an argument. I took my time, and looked for a link to a web site as eBay sellers are allowed to list a web site in their About Me page.

I am not a mind reader and this conversation is getting silly. You asked about a web site - Who would think that you meant web site to equal eBay store?

You and who else?

I gave you advise on the seller, they look fine and they try to be honest working with various accepted authenticators.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

Falcon
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Sir, please stop. This shouldn't be an argument. I took my time, and looked for a link to a web site as eBay sellers are allowed to list a web site in their About Me page.

I am not a mind reader and this conversation is getting silly. You asked about a web site - Who would think that you meant web site to equal eBay store?

You and who else?

I gave you advise on the seller, they look fine and they try to be honest working with various accepted authenticators.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

Okay...I'm sorry my knowledge and expertise about ebay isn't up to par with yours. Thought that's what the forum was for. Notice you're the only one who had the problem?

You have a nice day as well. Great forum...

simonoz@verizon.net
10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Morning Gents.

Not sure the last time I was ever a topic of conversation - maybe when I was born...but its kinda nice - so thank you Falcon.

Joel - thank you for your words.

As for who I am - I am an Aussie 'dude' that moved here in '92, have a family in NJ and have worked at the same job ( recruiter ) in NYC since '93. Foreign born yes, any less legit - no.

My collection started about 10 years - but yes, I only started selling 12 mths ago - Why? - My wife, the economy, space...u name it.

I have a varied collection from most sports - because I like ALL sports. I'd say 95% of collection come from Steiner, UD, Mounted Memories, James Spence, Schwartz & PSA DNA - all with COA's & holograms.

The remaining 5% come from a few abstract places ( charities, live auctions, the sort ) which have LOA's but no holograms....sometimes its the cheapest way to find bargains.

Falcon - pls dont think that I have the smarts, or the time, to fabricate items with LOA's...I have a job and two kids, I'm lucky to sleep 6 hrs a nite LOL.

I started to sell 12 mths ago - and pride myself on being as honest as I can - and communicate as much as I can with everyone. Falcon - I gave you a Lifetime Guarantee mate - I'm not a business....I'm a guy trying to make a few extra bucks out if his attic at 10pm at nite - not sure what else I could have done for you.

As for accepting lower offers mate - its ebay, not a retail store - I told you that as long as I show a profit I'm fine - not in this game to rip anyone off.

In my day job - references are all the rage - not sure if the Memorabilia Biz has the same - but I have the Steiner Manager & the SAE at UD that would vouch for me I think.

So gentleman - thanks for hearing me out - have a great week even if Wall St keeps tumbling over - and enjoy this hobby of ours.........Simon

earlywynnfan
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey, Falcon, I don't know if you're still around after your rough treatment in this thread, but stick around. You'll learn to ignore some people, and you'll also find yourself reading threads that hold no personal interest to you, just because you'll be impressed with the person posting (Ex: Aeneas, or however he spells it.)

As for your original question, if anyone actually remembers it, NO, it is not uncommon for a seller to have items with many different COAs or even none. I have been collecting autos for almost 20 years, and I couldn't even count the number of different places I've bought items. Most of my items have no paperwork, as I've either gotten them in person or the mail. Many have no COAs because they didn't exist in any legitimate form 10 years back.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to learn by trial and error. We can all give you our personal favorites, but I'm sure EVERYBODY that sells auto's has someone with a bad opinion out there. So stay away from Coach's corner and everyone involved with them, don't believe JSA and PSA are infallible, find the nearly-universally liked sellers (Stinson, Keating, Altman, plus some others), and finally: EXPECT TO GET BURNED! You will, we all did. This is why nobody in their right mind starts off buying Babe Ruth autos.

My advice would be to pick one area you like best. (Packers, or Negro Leaguers, or Jewish Players, or whatever.) Then, watch as much as possible -- this is what makes ebay really great. You'll learn to spot the bad yourself.

Good luck, and have fun.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Falcon
10-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Earlywynnfan: Thanks for the kind words and info...Yes, I do still check out this forum because it is very interesting to me, obviously there's a lot I can learn from it, and most importantly, I'm trying to learn this hobby and this seems to be one of the best sources out there. Again, thanks again for the feedback.

I'd also like to mention that I kept the Matt Ryan helmet I bought from madison7798 (Simon) and LOVE IT! Also want to mention that he answered all of my questions and was very swift, patient and courtious doing so as well. Simon, hope you didn't take any offense to all my questions...just want to make sure I know everything about the item I'm purchasing. In fact, a lot of the questions I asked you are things I learned to ask from reading these forums.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my dealings w/ Simon were great and I encourage anyone to do business with him as he seems to be a real stand up guy.

Kyle

simonoz@verizon.net
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey Kyle,

I forgot all about this thread - just remembered and am replying just to say thanks mate....I dont use these forums much, and it looks like you were kinda bashed a bit......so apologies.....

Hope all is well with you mate, s.