PDA

View Full Version : ebay bidders! Stop the insanity!

Vintagedeputy
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Stop bidding up things that I want to buy cheaply days and hours before the auction ends......

This is killing me!

I feel better now, thank you..............:)

Frink
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Ha ha. Man, this kills me. I don't touch stuff until seconds before an auction's end. There's just no sense to it. It just drives the price up.

FastLane80
09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Stop bidding up things that I want to buy cheaply days and hours before the auction ends......

This is killing me!

I feel better now, thank you..............:)Ignore this post

<-----has stuff on eBay :p

ndevlin
09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
No joke! People dont understand that they will get the item cheaper if they hold off and bid on the item about the time it ends. Its annoying. I notice that happens with Zanes bats a lot. Usually has a 10 day auction. With 9 days left, the item is at $150. Makes no sense.

markize
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
what people on ebay don't seem to understand is that the WINNER is the person with the highest bid at THE END of an auction. there are no points awarded to the person who was the leading bidder for 4 out of the 7 days an auction was listed for.

mark

cards-bats
09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I enjoy it as a seller when I have multiple items with a starting price and a BIN & people get in bidding wars that go higher than the BIN. I don't understand that one!

Vintagedeputy
09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
what people on ebay don't seem to understand is that the WINNER is the person with the highest bid at THE END of an auction. there are no points awarded to the person who was the leading bidder for 4 out of the 7 days an auction was listed for.

mark

+1 well said!

jayt1234
09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Is the bidder who bids days before an auctions ends and then for good measure places an additional higher bid right away...As if to say "sorry guys auction over"..."I have two serious bids on this auction and you do not want to test me"....It always ends up being like $30 higher than the posted bid...I too cannot see the reason of bidding any earlier than a few minutes before the auction ends.

Jay

b.heagy
09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I too cannot see the reason of bidding any earlier than a few minutes before the auction ends.

Jay

Sometimes it helps to show the seller that there is interest in an item. Otherwise the item may be ended early for fear of low final selling price or for private sale

BergerKing22784
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Well I have a few reasons for bidding early.

1. I know the buy it now does not automatically go away anymore like it used to once the first bid was made but I did it to make that go away so an impulse buyer couldnt take an item away from me that I was watching.

2. Sometimes items are price high enough of an opening bid to where that may or may not be the only bid that is made and on that item. For example the guy who I buy most my Braves game used items from prices his jerseys at $99.99 I have noticed if I bid on them I normally win them for opening bid. If I do not bid somone else bids on it for that price than I notice I really dont want to bid any higher than the opening bid so I shy away from it.

3. Also bidding the minium is my way to "watch" an item rather than clicking watch this item.

4. Sometimes when I am exployering ebay I find something that if I can win for basically the opening bid I will throw a bid out there and if I come back and in a few days I won something for very cheap it is a pleasant surprize. I have countless items that I was like oh cool I won an item i bid on 6 days ago, for good prices.

skyking26
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Bidding early to me might mean opening the bidding. My way of saying, "hey I'm interested in this and will see it thru to the end." I usually don't bid beyond that til the near-close, as has been discussed - you are bidding the thing up.

allstarsplus
09-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I suffer from memory lapses so I get a low bid in early so I can keep track of the items I am interested in.

I am still living in the 1990's and don't have a snipe program so if I know I will be gone I make my top bid in the morning the auction ends.

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2008, 06:15 AM
I dont have an issue with someone who places an opening bid...

Its the 15 bids over 7 days that raise something from 9.99 to 200+ that makes me insane.....

3arod13
09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
What's also bad. There are people who just bid to up the price and have no plan on bidding again to win.

I also don't understand bidding on an item during an auction when I know for a fact I want the item. Last 10 seconds, I bid.

3arod13
09-17-2008, 06:31 AM
On the other hand, as a seller, I love those who bid alot during the auction. If everyone waited until last second, you really wouldn't have an idea what the item will potentially sell for.

Jags Fan Dan
09-17-2008, 07:14 AM
I have two modes on eBay:
"Really have to have it" mode, in which I will set a snipe for the absolute maximum I will pay.
"Will take it for $xx" mode, in which I will bid my maximum bid whenever and if I win it, I win it and if I don't, no biggie.
I have, however, intentionally bid items up on people who place multiple bids on top of their own bids. For some reason, that practice really annoys me.

markfd
09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I suffer from memory lapses so I get a low bid in early so I can keep track of the items I am interested in.

I am still living in the 1990's and don't have a snipe program so if I know I will be gone I make my top bid in the morning the auction ends.

I agree Andrew, if it is not on my active bidding list I forget it is on my watchlist!!

Mark
---------------------

Always Collecting Yankees and Nationals Game Used Items

allstarsplus
09-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree Andrew, if it is not on my active bidding list I forget it is on my watchlist!!

Mark
---------------------

I used to use the Watchlist option but didn't like it because unless I delete it from "My eBay" it seems to stay in my history for a long time.