PDA

View Full Version : Collections

ahuff
09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I was wondering. . .has anyone seriously considered just selling it all off? Or did you sell off a major portion of the collection?

If so, what made you do it, and did you have any regrets about selling it all off?

Thanks.

Vintagedeputy
09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Not my game used, but sportscards and autos.

I hate to think about the stuff I sold. Nothing Earth shattering, but some real nice vintage cards and autos that couldnt be replaced. The first time, I was about 20 and sold a bunch of my cards. Got pennies from the store owner who robbed me bkind. I had no idea what it was worth.

Second time was when we were planning our wedding and I liquidated some things. One of the pieces I'll never see again was an Air Force flight report form signed in pencil by Gus Grissom and 2 other astronauts. Had quite a few John Glenn autos and others...Mattingly, old Dodgers, etc....

breaks my heart to think about that stuff......

3arod13
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I was wondering. . .has anyone seriously considered just selling it all off? Or did you sell off a major portion of the collection?

If so, what made you do it, and did you have any regrets about selling it all off?

Thanks.

I had a really nice Juan Gonzalez collection, which included a 1992 Game Used Signed Fielding Glove, 1992 Game Used Signed Jersey, 1992 Game Used Signed Bat, 1992 Game Used Signed Batting Gloves, and 1992 Game Used Signed Cleats.

I then started to collect Alex Rodriguez when he was a rookie. Sold off my Juan Gonzalez collection for spending money to build up my Alex Rodriguez collection. A decision that turned out to be a great one. I was able to sell of my Juan Gonzalez collection and make good money from it, just before he started getting hurt a lot.

FastLane80
09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Selling off my vintage card collection now...kind hurts but it all goes away when I look at my "play money" :D I was just moving on to something new. I'm having a hard time parting with my Dodgers cards though.

If you want to capitalize, sell everything separately. If you have any Dodgers stuff, let me know first ;)

ahuff
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Very interesting. It is nice to get other people's input on this. I've sold tons of stuff, in the past, but have always kept a few pieces. I can't say that I miss too much of it, either.

Anyone else?

dcgreg25
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Personally, it has certainly crossed my mind with two young kids but I have not pulled the trigger yet but may sell off some of my non-Indians collection.

Given what happened yesterday on Wall Street, I think you are going to see more and more memorabilia hitting the market as people pull back their spending and try to get more liquid.

This is an interesting thread as this can be a very expensive hobby- making selling it all compelling when you add up what you could do with the proceeds.

bigtruck260
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I have thought about it several times...and changed the course of my collecting interests to accomodate it.

Being in a middle class family with 1 and 1/2 (pregnant wife) kids at home, the times are tough. There is not as much disposable income as there once was.

The only problems with selling everything is that I would probably stay away from boards like this where the temptation is there to buy something on impulse...and the fact that if I sold now, I would lose my a$$. Prices are just not where I would want them to be.

So - For now, I plan on holding onto everything and only buying what I need for my collection - and selling things that no longer fit into my interests.

All of the garbage from my closets are going on eBay to make more space for our daughter who is arriving in February.

ahuff
09-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Excellent points by all. I agree. I think the current economy certainly will play into it. I'm in the same boat as many of you. Young kid at home, wife, and tighter budget than we had 5-10 years ago. Not only that, but it seems that there are many more people now in the hobby/market. At least for the stuff I collect. So, it seems that this is driving prices beyond what an item will actually sell for down the road. I think there is a topic that touches on this - http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18839

Another thing that concerns me is the amount of items that teams are beginning (and have been doing over the past 10+ years) to issue. It makes me wonder if this is similar to the 80's and 90's of baseball cards. I collect minor league stuff, primarily, and I can't believe that I'm seeing them using multiple home jerseys. I've talked to several teams that have 3-10 sets of their stars' uniforms. That is crazy for single A teams. It leaves me wondering, if they are doing that many, how many sets are other (larger) teams putting out there. I've seen the Blue Jays in the 20 range. Does anyone know what year really began to see the boom in the number of uniform sets that teams were issuing to players?