PDA

View Full Version : Shea Stadium memorabilia prices

Swoboda4
09-13-2008, 11:01 AM
As I took in my last game at Shea Stadium last Sunday night,I looked around with my son and wondered what piece of the Stadium I could afford. I couldn't afford to purchase seats but there is so much that can be sold I didn't worry. As I left that night I noticed the hanging directional signs at the bottom of the ramps with the Mr Met logo. The sign that so many times directed my father and I, and now me and my son to our seats. I knew I had found the item. I guessed with an eye of someone who knew of these things that this item may go for around $300-$600. When the price list was made available yesterday,that particular sign(with Mr Met)was listed at $1,995. To be fair there are many affordable items,but none that perfectly memorialize my interaction with the Stadium. I'll pass on the $50 napkin holder and the large concourse player banners that can't hope to fit in anyones residence. I guess as far as the Stadium is concerned it's already gone. Like someone you visit at the hospital for the last time. And as far as taking memories,we already have them.

costas
09-13-2008, 11:42 AM
congratulations on picking this up. While the price might look steep, the sentimental value is priceless. Your son will appreciate this as much, when he passes it down to his children and sharing the warmth stories and memories he shared with you at Shea.

Swoboda4
09-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I apologize for not making my point clear. I COULDN'T afford the ramp sign as I couldn't afford the seats. I was surprised at the high price.

costas
09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you for clarifying Swoboda. While it is none of my business to ask about your financial status, perhaps you could make some adjustments in your other expenses so you're able to save enough funds to purchase this piece. Really, you're probably going to only spend this much once and it is a well invested piece because of the sentimental association with it.

Vintagedeputy
09-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll pass on the $50 napkin holder .

I thought that the napkin holders were only $35........

When you consider how many fans last year grabbed a napkin from those holders to wipe away the tears during the collapse, I think the price tag is quite a steal.......

:)

BarryMeisel
09-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi everybody,

Those of you who have already dealt with MeiGray already know ... or I hope they know ... that we are collectors who are very sensitive and very respectful of everyone's opinions.

I started this company because of my love for memorabilia and my desire to improve the integrity of hobby, the quality of authentication, and the professionalism of a service that does ask quite a lot of money for these unique items.

I say this so you know I don't often jump into public threads to comment. But I wanted to share with you some of the realities of the Shea Memorabilia Project so you understand how we come to our procedures, and pricing, etc.

One of the major hurdles to making this work was the incredibly tight window between Shea closes, and when it must come down. Because Citi Field cannot be completed until Shea gets demolished, there is only 15 days between the final out (whenever that is) and the day that Shea begins to come down.

Because of that reality, the cost to preserve, remove, authenticate and distribute the relics is enormous. MeiGray was faced with that reality when it elected to partner with the Mets.

We felt it was worth the cost for a team of contractors (we expect to have at least 50 union members working 10 hour-days for 15 days removing, inventorying, authenticating, packaging and trucking) to work solely to preserve the artifacts that we are offering.

I am not making excuses for our pricing. I just felt it a good idea to try to offer a little insight into the scope of the project.

And this project will ensure that items are protected for Citi Field, for donations to charity, and for other worthy causes.

Thanks for reading,

Barry

metsbats
09-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Just to put things into perspective, there are approximately 41 turnstiles available at $1500 a piece. Just compare the rich history of these turnstiles which were used at the stadium during the course of 44 years verses a Alex Rodriguez or Derek Jeter game used bat from one single year of which of there may be 40+ legit gamers with really great use and typically sell for $1500-$2500 by Steiner and other dealers.

As Barry states there are additional costs built into the cost to market the turnstiles and other pieces of stadia which are definitely not involved in getting these game used bats to the consumer.

While we all cannot afford the real high end pieces (myself included) I was glad to be able to pick up some napkin holders which I hopefully will not have to use wiping tears away in 2 weeks.

David

Vintagedeputy
09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I was glad to be able to pick up some napkin holders which I hopefully will not have to use wiping tears away in 2 weeks.

David

David - I hope you are right! I'd like to see the Mets make it this year.

Swoboda4
09-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Barry-
You're right about the realities and nothing today is the way we would prefer it. But the same union worker removing the $1,995 sign is getting paid the same to remove the $500 one. Your total costs are not more for removal of the 371 outfield pad as opposed to the regular one. This situation is not unlike a funeral. A loved one passes and time is a factor. The funeral director gives you prices that are unexpected,there's no where else to go...and union people wait impatiently with shovels.

metsbats
09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Swoboda4,

I agree the cost may be the same but can make an argument that they may not in some cases. The contractors/workers who is charged with removing a Men's room door sign of the Napkin holders have a much easier task than the ones who has operate the crane or climb up the Stadium to retrieve the Giant "S" in "Shea" from the roof. I would think their pay grades reflect the skill set and difficulty of tasks.

When I had work done in my home I observed that the electricians and plumbers were more expensive than the guys who came in to plaster the walls.

Irregardless, we need to look at the type of items that are being costed out. It would make sense that the items that come off the playing field, items which has the name "Shea Stadium", items that are rarer or one of kind would be higher priced than others.

David

Swoboda4
09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
David,
The Mets just announced on TV that "ALL" procedes from the sale of Mets artifacts from Shea are going to charity. Does Barry know this?
Robert

metsbats
09-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I"m sure that means all proceeds net after contractors and MeiGrey are paid out. It is most likely that the Mets proceeds are going to their charity is my guess.

I'm sure Barry can talk to this.

David

melotime
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
how much is a seat?

Swoboda4
09-15-2008, 11:49 PM
melotime,
Hello. MeiGray is not selling the seats and for that we can be thankfull. The Mets alone are selling them and two (2) go for $869. Go to Met.com for details.The Mets ,who probably don't have the time or inclination to deal with the other items teamed up with The MeiGray Group to handle the removal and selling of everything else of value. Because two entities are involved in the items other than the seats the prices are twice as high,and then some.
MeiGray on this thread sited construction,union,packaging and time constraints as the reason for their higher prices while maintaining their high level of product.I want to say here in fairness that the main concern for collectors is authenticity, and Meigray is in my estimation of the highest entegrity,the best in the hobby and leaps and bounds ahead of Steiner,when it comes to that.
But the Mets who are facing the same problems ,at the same time and the same place didn't see the need to gouge us(The seats at Shea are rusted to the ground and will be impossible to unscrew in one piece after all this time. Couple this with the fact they have to take the lead paint off and repaint, package and ship-they have the harder job).
Now for those who are buying the two foul poles and two dugout removed as intack as possible,along with the letters atop Shea Stadium, all bets are off . But again,if the Mets can offer a high end item under the same conditions with a fair price what did we need MeiGray for?

MRMusial
09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
how much is a seat?

$869 a pair plus applicable taxes.

www.mets.com/shea (http://www.mets.com/shea)

www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18485 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18485)

metsbats
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
melotime,
Hello. MeiGray is not selling the seats and for that we can be thankfull. The Mets alone are selling them and two (2) go for $869. Go to Met.com for details.The Mets ,who probably don't have the time or inclination to deal with the other items teamed up with The MeiGray Group to handle the removal and selling of everything else of value. Because two entities are involved in the items other than the seats the prices are twice as high,and then some.
MeiGray on this thread sited construction,union,packaging and time constraints as the reason for their higher prices while maintaining their high level of product.I want to say here in fairness that the main concern for collectors is authenticity, and Meigray is in my estimation of the highest entegrity,the best in the hobby and leaps and bounds ahead of Steiner,when it comes to that.
But the Mets who are facing the same problems ,at the same time and the same place didn't see the need to gouge us(The seats at Shea are rusted to the ground and will be impossible to unscrew in one piece after all this time. Couple this with the fact they have to take the lead paint off and repaint, package and ship-they have the harder job).
Now for those who are buying the two foul poles and two dugout removed as intack as possible,along with the letters atop Shea Stadium, all bets are off . But again,if the Mets can offer a high end item under the same conditions with a fair price what did we need MeiGray for?

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the Met-MeiGray relationship is not just for the Shea Stadium sale but will be the partnership which will replace the Met-Steiner relationship starting in 2009.

David

Swoboda4
09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
God help us then. David,if MeiGray had the seats to sell they would be $2,100 each(all the problems I sited as coinciding with their removal would be placed squarely on us.)The Mets are removing 2 seats and it's costing $869 MeiGray is removing various items and somehow costing roughly three times as much. Whats also disturbing is that Meigray is a member of this Forum,albeit more to monitor as a dealer than participate as a collector. Couple that with people from this Forum with a "arm around the shoulder" of MeiGray introducing them to us with this endeavor,as if some favor is going to be done for us.
Explain to me and I'll give this a rest,how can the Mets offer the prime collecting item at such a favorable price and MeiGray sells signs and street banners for thousands? Dont say their are difficulties elsewhere because if you buying a foul pole YOU and YOU alone should pay the total price it shouldn't trickle down to ramp signs. Why should a ramp sign cost more than 2 seats?
Getting mad in my old age but everyone whose an experienced collector knows this is true.

metsbats
09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
God help us then. David,if MeiGray had the seats to sell they would be $2,100 each(all the problems I sited as coinciding with their removal would be placed squarely on us.)The Mets are removing 2 seats and it's costing $869 MeiGray is removing various items and somehow costing roughly three times as much. Whats also disturbing is that Meigray is a member of this Forum,albeit more to monitor as a dealer than participate as a collector. Couple that with people from this Forum with a "arm around the shoulder" of MeiGray introducing them to us with this endeavor,as if some favor is going to be done for us.
Explain to me and I'll give this a rest,how can the Mets offer the prime collecting item at such a favorable price and MeiGray sells signs and street banners for thousands? Dont say their are difficulties elsewhere because if you buying a foul pole YOU and YOU alone should pay the total price it shouldn't trickle down to ramp signs. Why should a ramp sign cost more than 2 seats?
Getting mad in my old age but everyone whose an experienced collector knows this is true.

Robert,

As you know I have no affiliations with GUU, MeiGray or the Mets. Additionally I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the prices here.

But to your query as to how can a ramp cost more than two seats.
It's the simple law of economics: supply and demand.

There are 55,000 seats of which say 30,000 can be sold as pairs, or 15,000 pairs. (this is my best guess) The Mets have to pay S&S seating to extract and restore and take their proceeds for charity. Two hands in the pot. You have a choice of orange,blue,red, or green. These are $869 a pair.

There are 28 ramp signs available. There are 2 variations of the signs "Thanks for coming to Shea", or "Thanks for being part of the Shea Experience" or 14 distinct signs. The Mets have to pay MeiGrey for their services, and contractors have to paid for their removal services, and again the Mets need to take their cut for their charities. Three hands in the pot. Each sign is $1995.00

David

metsbats
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Robert,

As you know I have no affiliations with GUU, MeiGray or the Mets. Additionally I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the prices here.

But to your query as to how can a ramp cost more than two seats.
It's the simple law of economics: supply and demand.

There are 55,000 seats of which say 30,000 can be sold as pairs, or 15,000 pairs. (this is my best guess) The Mets have to pay S&S seating to extract and restore and take their proceeds for charity. Two hands in the pot. You have a choice of orange,blue,red, or green. These are $869 a pair.

There are 28 ramp signs available. There are 2 variations of the signs "Thanks for coming to Shea", or "Thanks for being part of the Shea Experience" or 14 distinct signs. The Mets have to pay MeiGrey for their services, and contractors have to paid for their removal services, and again the Mets need to take their cut for their charities. Three hands in the pot. Each sign is $1995.00

David

Oh yeah. Let's be thankful we are not Yankee fans. Wait till you see the prices of the seats and Yankee Stadium memoriabilia.

They will make MeiGray and the Mets look like K-Mart

David

jwasserman
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
I was a little taken aback by the prices at first but, to their credit, there are also plenty of items for the more casual collector. I picked up three small signs and the infamous napkin holder and spent less than $200. They have also been incredibly responsive to my questions. I don't get to take home Gooden's old locker but I still get some nice pieces of my childhood ballpark.

metsbats
09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I was a little taken aback by the prices at first but, to their credit, there are also plenty of items for the more casual collector. I picked up three small signs and the infamous napkin holder and spent less than $200. They have also been incredibly responsive to my questions. I don't get to take home Gooden's old locker but I still get some nice pieces of my childhood ballpark.

I have to agree. Their customer service is great. And yes there are plenty of items prices for us lower end collectors.

I'd like to find out where the Dugout and Flag poles end up!

-David

HENMICK44
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
If They Don't Make The Playoffs The Price Of Items Should Be Alot Less.

metsbats
09-17-2008, 05:32 AM
If They Don't Make The Playoffs The Price Of Items Should Be Alot Less.

I don't think the Stadium pieces are affected in my opinion but I sure wouldn't want a game used jersey or player item if they repeat last years finish.

The only silver lining this year if re-choke occurs is that we all get our piece of Shea 4 weeks earlier.

David

Swoboda4
09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
If MeiGray sells everything at these prices I'm going to have to simmer down and say the market is there and I'm wrong. Are they our friend? No.
Are they savy business people? We'll see,but more likely yes. Do they look at us more like a group of prospective buyers then fellow collectors? Yes. Would I rather have a MeiGray LOA or Steiner,etc? I rather have a MeiGray. MeiGray is the best place you can obtain an item,aside from having to take a pension loan out to buy certain items.
"In conclusion",I knew the stadium was closing a long time ago. It's a little late to go looking for particular items now. I'm sure with $1,000(probably less) in hand two years ago, the 410 ft outfield pad could have been obtained,when it need to be replaced. It was slashed by a players clete at the end of the season and blue taped repaired and a new one would be,and was, in its place the following spring. I noticed. And I should have acted on it.
I'm glad Steiner is gone from the Mets(what situation made them leave?). And if MeiGray does take over, I hope they do it with the heart of a collector they advertise as being and not become a bigger version of Steiner. Oh,and thanks for discount offered to fellow Forum members on this recent Shea memorabilia sale.
Robert
bazil221b@aol.com