PDA

View Full Version : 67 bids on common 1995 Cubs jersey???

TNTtoys
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone out there other than me think that this is the most bizarre bidding they have ever seen for a common jersey?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-Game-Used-Cubs-Jersey_W0QQitemZ220276141938QQihZ012QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bigtruck260
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Looks like someone is trying to be as stingy as possible.

trsent
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Anyone out there other than me think that this is the most bizarre bidding they have ever seen for a common jersey?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-Game-Used-Cubs-Jersey_W0QQitemZ220276141938QQihZ012QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How can you bid in one-cent increments? I thought you had to bid for a cheap item such as this in $1.00 or $2.50 increments?

I remember in the early days of eBay when items that had over 50 bids would be on a hot list for more exposure. Then eBay realized items such as this Cubs jersey do not deserve any more exposure.

commando
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
The guy who bid in one-cent increments was already the high bidder. He's got lots of feedback, and I have absolutely NO idea what he was doing!!!

trsent
09-08-2008, 02:32 PM
The guy who bid in one-cent increments was already the high bidder. He's got lots of feedback, and I have absolutely NO idea what he was doing!!!

Oh I see, he was increasing his bid one cent at a time. Hoping to find the hidden reserve.

jppopma
09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe the bidder was just a little on the obsessive compulsive side.

intheminors
09-08-2008, 04:14 PM
How about two guys on one shirt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230286286428&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

bigtime59
09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Auctions like these are why I set a snipe, walk away, and wait for the email.
So much easier and less stressful than the alternative.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Vintagedeputy
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Auctions like these are why I set a snipe, walk away, and wait for the email.
So much easier and less stressful than the alternative.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Agreed. I cant understand why anyone bids on anything early anymore. It drives me crazy when I'm interested in an item and I see the bid rising days before it ends. Snipes are absolutely the way to go.

bigtime59
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Agreed. I cant understand why anyone bids on anything early anymore. It drives me crazy when I'm interested in an item and I see the bid rising days before it ends. Snipes are absolutely the way to go.

The only reason to bid early is on no-reserve, low-open items with Buy-it-Now...to kill the BiN.

trsent
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
The only reason to bid early is on no-reserve, low-open items with Buy-it-Now...to kill the BiN.

I don't know how it works, but part of the time these days the Buy-It-Now stays up until about half the price is met or something of that nature. When I list Buy-It-Now it disappears at the first bid, but often when I bid on stuff I still see it there.

Anyone know what is up with this?

TNTtoys
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't know how it works, but part of the time these days the Buy-It-Now stays up until about half the price is met or something of that nature. When I list Buy-It-Now it disappears at the first bid, but often when I bid on stuff I still see it there.

Anyone know what is up with this?
I can help with this one... If you have an auction with a buy-it-now, it will be removed upon first bid. If you have an auction with a buy-it-now and a reserve, the buy-it-now will only be removed when the reserve is reached.

trsent
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I can help with this one... If you have an auction with a buy-it-now, it will be removed upon first bid. If you have an auction with a buy-it-now and a reserve, the buy-it-now will only be removed when the reserve is reached.

Are you sure about this? I have bid in non-reserve auctions and the Buy-It-Now is still there after I bid. Maybe as the high bidder they still offer you the Buy-It-Now option and this is why I am confused.

bigtruck260
09-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Are you sure about this? I have bid in non-reserve auctions and the Buy-It-Now is still there after I bid. Maybe as the high bidder they still offer you the Buy-It-Now option and this is why I am confused.

Hey Joel -

I have 1000+ transactions on eBay, and I have never had that happen.
Maybe I am not paying attention, but I always thought that when I placed a bid on an item that had no reserve and a BIN - the BIN went away. I place phone bids sometimes though, so maybe I missed it.

BIGSTIG
09-11-2008, 01:29 AM
I sell on ebay, and Joel is correct it is wierd, sometimes our items which we set at say $99.00 starting bid with a $399.00 buy it now NO RESERVE the buy it now will stay until the bid hits $200.00. It has confused me for a while. Then the next day we can do the same auction the same way and when someone bids the $99.00 the Buy it now goes away. VERY STRANGE.

trsent
09-11-2008, 03:57 AM
I sell on ebay, and Joel is correct it is wierd, sometimes our items which we set at say $99.00 starting bid with a $399.00 buy it now NO RESERVE the buy it now will stay until the bid hits $200.00. It has confused me for a while. Then the next day we can do the same auction the same way and when someone bids the $99.00 the Buy it now goes away. VERY STRANGE.

How about no scheduled listings until they get the new prices set?

Then I am also told that eBay commissions are about to go through the roof - Something like between 9% to 6% on their usual declining manner.

kudu
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I pulled this from the ebay website:

" The BIN option will be available on an item till the current bid reaches or exceeds 50% of the BIN price.

Note: For reserve price auctions, the Buy it Now option will continue to be available till the reserve price is met. The price threshold is only applicable once the reserve has been met or exceeded. "

I'm not sure if this applies to all categories or not.