PDA

View Full Version : 1988 "Vintage" Alomar Padres Jersey

BaseballGM
03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Any opinions as to the use or origin of this jersey? Although not listed as game used, the seller does state that it was made for Roberto Alomar. I'm waiting to hear from the seller as to whether he considers this to be game used. Thanks, Kevin

suave1477
03-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Well someone used it. it's been washed a few times!!!

hblakewolf
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I have sold many of this style Padres jersey, and none had this type of tagging, especially the small Rawlings tag in the neck. Likewise, it is missing the name on back and RAK on the sleeve.

My opinion? Pass.

Howard Wolf
hvblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
The Rawlings tag on the tail of the jersey is a retail tag. See how it's sewn on the left and right sides only? That's how Rawlings used to sew their tags on retail jerseys during the 80's and 90's. The "pro" tags were sewn via single-stitches on all 4 sides. In addition, it looks like it's got a zig-zag stitch. Rawlings used a straight stitch for their pro jerseys. Plus, although it's faded you can still clearly tell it's not a pro tag. It doesn't even look remotely like one.

Secondly, the tag in the neck confirms it's a retail jersey. "Pro" game jerseys didn't have that neck tag during that timeframe, only the retail jerseys.

Thirdly, (as if it matters at this point given the jersey is a retail jersey), it's missing a NOB as Howard mentioned.

As for the "RAK" memorial letters on the sleeve, I don't believe they used them in 1988? I believe they only used the RAK patch from 84-86.

As for the use and origins of the jersey, it's simply a retail jersey which was numbered and for some reason, they didn't have a name put on the back. The use was most likely incurred during hours spent running around the house or playing in the backyard with the family dog. The only possibility this jersey has of being legit is if the Padres grabbed a retail jersey from their team shop, gave it to Alomar and forgot to put a name on it. If a NOB was removed, then you'd most likely see the stitch marks and also the pinstripes that were previously under the letters would be a little darker from having been shielded from any sun fading. From the photo, I don't see any evidence of a NOB having once existed.

Rudy.

flaco1801
03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Rudy is 100% correct. if you had any incling that jersey was real, you better take the best advice this forum has to offer "do your homework".

hblakewolf
03-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Rudy-
As always, great work. You are correct, and I made a quick error. The 1988 Pad's jerseys did not have the RAK on the sleeve.

As for your statement, "Secondly, the tag in the neck confirms it's a retail jersey. "Pro" game jerseys didn't have that neck tag during that timeframe, only the retail jerseys", let me add to it.

Minor league jerseys made by Rawlings during the 1987-1991 era have the same collar tag as shown on the "Alomar". The tail tagging is different, however, on the minor league. It is the standard rectangular red Rawlings tag or the larger square Rawlings tag used in later years, not the white retail tag.

How about the poor sap that actually wins the "Alomar"-OUCH!!!!!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

BaseballGM
03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's the response from the seller. At least he did reply to the question. "no it has no tagging like game worns do".

If you want to take a look, it's number (8779398688 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8779398688&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1)) on eBay.

Thanks, Kevin