PDA

View Full Version : 1940 American League Champioons Detroit Tigers...

Larry Pelliccioni
09-06-2008, 08:55 AM
A very unique item has come my way. It is a heavy silver serving tray with a likeness of team owner Walter Briggs etched in it and around this likeness are the signatures of the manager Del Baker, coaches Bing Miller and Merv Shea, players Billy Sullivan, Al Benton, Tommy Bridges, Floyd Giebell, Johnny Gorsica, Fred Hutchinson, Archie McKain, Hal Newhouser, Bobo Newsom, Schoolboy Rowe, Rudy York, Earl Averill, Bruce Campbell, Pete Fox, Hank Greenberg, Barney McCoskey, Tuck Stainback, Tom Seats, Clay Smith, Dizzy Trout, Bob Uhl, Birdie Tebbetts, Dick Bartell, Frank Croucher, Charlie Gehringer, Pinky Higgins, Red Kress and Dutch Meyer and unknown persons GF Nemitz, Denny Carroll, Clair Berry and Spike Bugg. I would be happy to email anyone who could post up a picture for me but I am trying to determine a value.
It also has etched in it the American League 1940 champions.
Any and all help is deeply appreciated.

md
10-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm interested in this piece. My grandfather is Clair Berry and my family had a serving platter exactly as you described many years ago that went missing.I'm curious to know if there was more than one created?

buc
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Every member of the team was given one. Hunt Auctions (I believe) sold another about two years ago. They had an estimated value on it of between $1000-1500.