PDA

View Full Version : GU on Home Shopping Network?

Rob L
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
There's a Ryan 1990 jersey on eBay that was allegedly purchased from the Home Shopping Network. It's autographed and the 'graph is authentic. But when did the Home Shopping Network start selling alleged GU items?

ironmanfan
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
they never did; those are Scoreboard jerseys which people have attempted to sell as GU for years (also see Strawberry, Bo Jackson & others).

suave1477
09-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Rob L,

So far we noted a few players Scorboard Jerseys that were done at this time.

Nolan Ryan
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jose Canseco
Darryl Strawberry
Gregg Jeffries
Bo Jackson

There may be more I am not aware of.

These were the popular players at that time so as you can why you may find many of these players 90's jerseys floating around.

If you check past threads you can find out all about Scorboard jerseys.

Rob L
09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Ahh, this makes much more sense.

dabadestalbo69
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
you can add larry bird to that list

hippo916
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
These were originally sold in the late-1980s and early 1990s through full-page, sometimes two-page ads, in SCD by Scoreboard. And add the Will Clark Giants home jersey to the list. Autographed below the back "22" and flag tagged "1987" if I recall.

jwasserman
09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
is there an easy way to differentiate a scoreboard jersey from a legitimate gamer? the tagging to my amateur eyes looks perfect for what id expect from a jersey from this era

kingjammy24
09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
is there an easy way to differentiate a scoreboard jersey from a legitimate gamer? the tagging to my amateur eyes looks perfect for what id expect from a jersey from this era

not really an 'easy' way per se. they were made to spec by rawlings. most just entirely avoid the specific jerseys - eg: all 1990 home canseco jerseys labeled "2 90", all 1989 "set 2" home bo jackson jerseys.

the bo jackson scoreboard jerseys are easier to spot as they use a 1990-style rawlings tag with a 1989 flag tag. ordinarily it'd be a very rare occurance to have something like that legitimately happen. every single 1989 scoreboard bo jackson (they're all "set 2") has the 1990-style rawlings tag.

that said, i think some sellers have caught on to things and have swapped flag tags on their scoreboard shirts to make them appear different. ie: all of the bo jackson scoreboard shirts are "set 2". i believe some sellers have swapped them out with "set 1" flag tags as a way of showing that their 1989 home bo jackson jersey isn't a scoreboard shirt.

personally i just avoid them altogether. if i wanted a bo jackson royals gamer, i'd look for a road jersey. all of the scoreboard shirts were home jerseys. looking for road gamers from those players/years is a big step forward.

rudy.

Danny899
09-06-2008, 12:18 PM
they never did; those are Scoreboard jerseys which people have attempted to sell as GU for years (also see Strawberry, Bo Jackson & others).

Don't forget the 1990 Seaver Scoreboard Mets jersey. I actually purchased one directly through the company before I began collecting gamers. It was tagged on the inside with a strip tag and everything. Now you see them surface as game used "instructor's" jerseys on auctions and seller sites. Then when you ask the dealer about it, they usually get offended and tell you otherwise. When they then start identifying themselves as experts, that when the conversation usually ends for me. What kind of "expert" would sell a replica as a gamer? Weak. Especially since if I'm not mistaken Mr. Seaver worked for the Yankees in 1990 as an announcer. I just stay away from them all together.

David
09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Of side note, Shop at Home did have some game used stuff, mostly Steiner Yankees stuff with Steiner paperwork.