PDA

View Full Version : Mondesi "Game Used" Jersey in Vintage Authentics Auction

bigtime59
03-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Items like this make me wonder if a MEARS LOA is worth any more than a Lampson! is. At the Cleveland National, there was a dealer with a PILE of correct Mondesi, Stewart, Koch and other Blue Jays jerseys...the Mondesis even had custom sleeves! I bought a bunch, sold 'em as "authentics" and made a few bucks. Other people bought a bunch, sold 'em as either "game issue" or "game worn", and made potloads of money.
Now, here, most likely, is one of those jerseys, listed as "game used" with a MEARS letter that says "light game use." Anybody want to tell me what "light game use" is supposed to mean???
In 2001, the Jays used the same fabric for their jerseys that the Orioles did (and still do). It pills like no tomorrow if you look at it funny. Any notation of that on this jersey? None that I saw. And where, oh where, is the strip tag that should be in the collar? And, how about a Blue Jays LOA, the only one you should really trust on Blue Jays jerseys?
Every day, I get closer to selling off my collection, and getting out of this stupid, corrupt hobby. I'm really getting fed up. Anybody got a reason why I shouldn't bail? I'm waiting...
Mark Sutton
bigtime59

kingjammy24
03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Most troubling I believe is the absence of the strip tag.

I'd like to see a Jays COA as well but to be honest, I've purchased 90's era Jays jerseys without their COA. I believe my purchases lacked the COA because they "went out the back door". As well, I believe they went out the back door prior to the time that the Jays started issuing their COAs.
I imagine a good handful of Jays jerseys made it out during the 90's and during the time when the Jays weren't selling to the public and thus weren't issuing COA's. My jerseys are completely up to spec. Of course, this VA Mondesi is from the time that the Jays issued COAs and is not up to spec.

However, none of this really matters Mark because if you look at the MEARS letter, it does not state "game used". In fact, it doesn't state much beyond a description of what the jersey looks like. That's the beauty of an A5. You can't tell what it is and MEARS doesn't tell you. Nowhere on that letter does it state "game used" or even "game jersey" or "retail jersey" or anything. The only thing MEARS calls it is a "home button down". By essentially refusing to state what the jersey is, they've not only absolved themselves of any sort of liability but also of the responsibility to actually do some real research. No strip tag? Doesn't matter since we're not calling it a game jersey! We'll just note it down in the comments and let people interpret it however they like while we stay out of the fray.

Rudy.

mphcollectibles
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey Rudy,

You hit the nail on the head when you talk about liability of authenticating game-used pieces. I personally only like game-used pieces given straight from the players hands. Not everyone has access to doing so, but it is the only way I will buy game-used pieces. MEARS, LAMPSON, and all other authenticators are giving you an opinion. MEARS, specifically states that at the top of their letter. I bet in most auctions at least 25-30% of the game-used memorabila is not truelly game used.