PDA

View Full Version : A genius of biblical proportions

kingjammy24
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
so i was perusing the current vintage authentics auction and i was floored by the incredible diversity of items authenticated by lampson. here's a small sample of items that lou authenticated for their current auction:

Baseball
1974 Catfish Hunter Game Used jersey
1979 Carlton Fisk Game Used jersey
1998 Todd Helton Game Used Batting Practice jersey
2006 Ryan Howard Game Used jersey
Late 70s-Early 80s Greensboro Hornets #35 Game Used jersey
Early 70s BYU Cougars Game Used Jersey
Ken Griffey Jr. circa 1995-1997 Game Used Fielders glove
Late 40s-Early 50s St. Louis Browns Game Used hat
2007 Ivan Rodriguez Game Used cleats
2004 Joe Nathan Game Used hat
Ivan Rodriguez Game Used chest protector
Josh Hamilton Game Used batting gloves

Football
1986 Tommy Kramer Game Used helmet
1975-77 Fran Tarkenton Game Used jersey
Mid 1980s St. John's #13 Game Used Jersey
1994 Dan Marino Game Used jersey
2003 Torry Holt Game Used jersey
1995-96 Isaac Bruce Game Used shoes
2006-07 Kenny Phillips Miami Hurricanes Game Used cleats
2006 Brandon Jacobs Game Used gloves

Basketball
1994-95 Michael Jordan Game Used Full Uniform
1984 Michael Jordan Pre-Olympic Game Used USA Full Uniform
1987 Tony White Chicago Bulls Game Used jersey
2007-08 Kevin Garnett Game Used jersey
1991-92 Michael Jordan 1991-92 Game Used shoes
Late 90s Nick Van Exel Game Used shoes
2008 Kansas Jayhawks Game Used shoes
1980s BYU Game Used Warmup Jacket
1990-91 Johnny Dawkins Game Used Shooting Shirt & Full Warmup suit
2005-06 Deron Williams Game Used Warmup jacket

very subtle lou! i'm guessing they couldn't find any kitchen sinks for him to rubberstamp. simply gauging from this single auction, lou has expertise in MLB gamers from all teams and all players from the 70s until present, MLB warmups from all teams, college gamers, minor league jerseys, gloves, cleats, hats, chest protectors, football helmets, NFL jerseys from the 70s until present from all teams and players, college cleats, gloves, olympic basketball, NBA jerseys from all teams and players from 80s until present, college warmups, NBA warmups from all teams and years, game used shoes from all college and NBA teams for the past 20 yrs. 8000 photos to support jerseys, shoes, warmups, gloves, helmets from every MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA, and minor league team from the last 30 yrs.

i think back to barry meisel's recent comment: "We do not authenticate all game-worn jerseys, because we do not consider ourselves experts on all aspects of all sports within the game-worn hobby, and we do not try to waste collectors' time and money if we do not believe we can help." Lou apparently has no reservations about wasting peoples' time and money.

rudy.

trsent
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
so i was perusing the current vintage authentics auction and i was floored by the incredible diversity of items authenticated by lampson. here's a small sample of items that lou authenticated for their current auction:

Baseball
1974 Catfish Hunter Game Used jersey
1979 Carlton Fisk Game Used jersey
1998 Todd Helton Game Used Batting Practice jersey
2006 Ryan Howard Game Used jersey
Late 70s-Early 80s Greensboro Hornets #35 Game Used jersey
Early 70s BYU Cougars Game Used Jersey
Ken Griffey Jr. circa 1995-1997 Game Used Fielders glove
Late 40s-Early 50s St. Louis Browns Game Used hat
2007 Ivan Rodriguez Game Used cleats
2004 Joe Nathan Game Used hat
Ivan Rodriguez Game Used chest protector
Josh Hamilton Game Used batting gloves

Football
1986 Tommy Kramer Game Used helmet
1975-77 Fran Tarkenton Game Used jersey
Mid 1980s St. John's #13 Game Used Jersey
1994 Dan Marino Game Used jersey
2003 Torry Holt Game Used jersey
1995-96 Isaac Bruce Game Used shoes
2006-07 Kenny Phillips Miami Hurricanes Game Used cleats
2006 Brandon Jacobs Game Used gloves

Basketball
1994-95 Michael Jordan Game Used Full Uniform
1984 Michael Jordan Pre-Olympic Game Used USA Full Uniform
1987 Tony White Chicago Bulls Game Used jersey
2007-08 Kevin Garnett Game Used jersey
1991-92 Michael Jordan 1991-92 Game Used shoes
Late 90s Nick Van Exel Game Used shoes
2008 Kansas Jayhawks Game Used shoes
1980s BYU Game Used Warmup Jacket
1990-91 Johnny Dawkins Game Used Shooting Shirt & Full Warmup suit
2005-06 Deron Williams Game Used Warmup jacket

very subtle lou! i'm guessing they couldn't find any kitchen sinks for him to rubberstamp. simply gauging from this single auction, lou has expertise in MLB gamers from all teams and all players from the 70s until present, MLB warmups from all teams, college gamers, minor league jerseys, gloves, cleats, hats, chest protectors, football helmets, NFL jerseys from the 70s until present from all teams and players, college cleats, gloves, olympic basketball, NBA jerseys from all teams and players from 80s until present, college warmups, NBA warmups from all teams and years, game used shoes from all college and NBA teams for the past 20 yrs. 8000 photos to support jerseys, shoes, warmups, gloves, helmets from every MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA, and minor league team from the last 30 yrs.

i think back to barry meisel's recent comment: "We do not authenticate all game-worn jerseys, because we do not consider ourselves experts on all aspects of all sports within the game-worn hobby, and we do not try to waste collectors' time and money if we do not believe we can help." Lou apparently has no reservations about wasting peoples' time and money.

rudy.

I do not understand, the guy (who I am not a fan of) writes "Letters of Opinion" for items. What has he done wrong by giving an opinion on items he considers himself an expert over?

I believe if you find any inconsistencies with any of his opinions, you can contact Vintage Authentics and they will investigate.

otismalibu
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
My opinion is that Joel is an auction house brown noser.

trsent
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
My opinion is that Joel is an auction house brown noser.

I have no business with Vintage Authentics. I do not believe I am personally a registered bidder and I have no consignments with them. I also do not work for Ryne Friedman's company who promotes auction houses. I believe I last spoke to Steve Jensen about four years ago, but it may have been three.

I believe people such as yourself and Rudi like to overdue everything in this industry. For some reason, you do not like a person who writes a "Letter of Opinion" which is what Lou Lampson does. I do not like his history or his availability for questions (unlike MEARS who is always available to investigate their opinion) but Rudy blindly listing every item (or is it a partial list?) that he wrote a letter on and then questioning his opinion without actually investigating issues with any items is just the usual unfair witch hunt that too many members of Game Used Universe abuse.

He has the right to write LOOs on anything he wants. It is his professional OPINION that he is giving. If Rudi or yourself has any issues with any items, they should be addressed individually. I know Lou knows a lot of stuff, and I also doubt he can 100% (Authentic? - Pun) know everything, but calling him out on knowing too much is really not a fair argument.

Finally, my nose is none of your business to judge it based on the color of it.

otismalibu
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Finally, my nose is none of your business to judge it based on the color of it.Joel,

You're right. That was racially insensitive of me. Nose color should never enter into the equation.

I noticed you tend to post the same thing over and over again. In an effort to save you some time, I created the following. Just bookmark this page and copy and paste the bold sections whenever you’re ready to respond to a post. No need to thank me…just pay it forward.

Did anyone contact the auction house? I’d be interested to hear what they have to say.

Why didn’t we think of that? That’s some serious out of the box thinkin’. With all the excitement caused by the pink bats, it never crossed our minds. Kidding. We used to contact them, but no longer. Have you ever gotten Lampson on the phone? What a chatty Cathy! And if you ask Grey Flannel or American Memorabilia a question about an item, the next thing you know, your inbox is full of photos and video clips that conclusively support their opinions.

Isn’t it possible that (insert superstar name here) wore this jersey?

All things are possible with Christ…and Joel. Yes, it’s possible that they wore this jersey that is the wrong style for that year, has the wrong NOB and doesn’t have the proper tagging. It’s also possible that Mother Teresa wore this very jersey while roasting a fatty at the Playboy mansion. It could be the very same jersey that James Caan unsuccessfully tried to get her to slip off when he invited the future Noble Peace Prize winner to join Angie Dickinson and himself for a 3-way in the grotto.

I was just talking to a major authenticator/I just received an email from a big time collector/I was just playing poker with a well respected memorabilia dealer.

The late Dick Schaap and I were driving (in my classic Mustang) to a Black Panthers rally, back in the late 60s, when he said to me, “Otis, the key to name dropping is to actually drop names.” Sound advice, indeed!

It’s obvious you cannot debate like a mature adult, so I’m ending this thread.

Yes, if we’ve learned anything in the past few years, it’s that your arguments are sound and well thought out. From the direct quotes attributed to anonymous ‘players’, to the total lack of visual evidence to support your position. You are the measuring stick.

kingjammy24
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
joel, honestly i've never encountered anyone else who does such a tremendous job of instilling patience in others as you. kudos.

"What has he done wrong by giving an opinion on items he considers himself an expert over?"

therein is the entire gist of my post. joel, do you believe it's humanly possible for one man to genuinely have expertise in all of the different areas i've listed? for him to be a true expert in every NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA, minor league item from every team for the past 30 yrs? you believe it's possible, then our discussion is over. if you believe, correctly, that it's not possible then therein lies the problem: he's writing letters on items he doesn't have expertise in.

"..calling him out on knowing too much is really not a fair argument."

calling a professional out for giving opinions on things he isn't qualified to give opinions on isn't fair? i'm not calling him out on "knowing too much" joel. in fact, i'm calling him out on the opposite; on purporting to know things he couldn't possibly know. it's called negligence. misrepresentation. malfeasance. take your pick. it's beyond fair. just ask anyone who's ever been indicted for any of those things.

greg and i will stop overdueing it now.

rudi.

trsent
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Joel,

You're right. That was racially insensitive of me. Nose color should never enter into the equation.

I noticed you tend to post the same thing over and over again. In an effort to save you some time, I created the following. Just bookmark this page and copy and paste the bold sections whenever you’re ready to respond to a post. No need to thank me…just pay it forward.

Did anyone contact the auction house? I’d be interested to hear what they have to say.

Why didn’t we think of that? That’s some serious out of the box thinkin’. With all the excitement caused by the pink bats, it never crossed our minds. Kidding. We used to contact them, but no longer. Have you ever gotten Lampson on the phone? What a chatty Cathy! And if you ask Grey Flannel or American Memorabilia a question about an item, the next thing you know, your inbox is full of photos and video clips that conclusively support their opinions.

Isn’t it possible that (insert superstar name here) wore this jersey?

All things are possible with Christ…and Joel. Yes, it’s possible that they wore this jersey that is the wrong style for that year, has the wrong NOB and doesn’t have the proper tagging. It’s also possible that Mother Teresa wore this very jersey while roasting a fatty at the Playboy mansion. It could be the very same jersey that James Caan unsuccessfully tried to get her to slip off when he invited the future Noble Peace Prize winner to join Angie Dickinson and himself for a 3-way in the grotto.

I was just talking to a major authenticator/I just received an email from a big time collector/I was just playing poker with a well respected memorabilia dealer.

The late Dick Schaap and I were driving (in my classic Mustang) to a Black Panthers rally, back in the late 60s, when he said to me, “Otis, the key to name dropping is to actually drop names.” Sound advice, indeed!

It’s obvious you cannot debate like a mature adult, so I’m ending this thread.

Yes, if we’ve learned anything in the past few years, it’s that your arguments are sound and well thought out. From the direct quotes attributed to anonymous ‘players’, to the total lack of visual evidence to support your position. You are the measuring stick.

GREG FARAGHER, IS THIS A PERSONAL ATTACK AGAINST ME FOR VIEWING AN OPINION?

MODERATOR - WHY IS THIS USER ALLOWED TO ATTACK ME FOR GIVING AN HONEST OPINION ON A DISCUSSION? THEY ARE ATTACKING ME FOR WHAT? BRINING UP PAST ARGUMENTS? WHEN WILL THIS USER BE SUSPENDED FOR PERSONAL ATTACKS, SINCE THEY HAVE ATTACKED ME TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

JUST ANOTHER JOKE - OTISMALIBU PICKING ON JOEL FOR BEING THE ONE WHO DOESN'T PUT UP WITH THE CONSTANT WITCH HUNTS I FIND FROM TIME TO TIME ON THIS FORUM.

FINALLY - I DO NOT BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, HE IS NOT MY GOD AND DO NOT ASSUME WHAT GOD I DO OR DO NOT WORSHIP FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

trsent
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
joel, honestly i've never encountered anyone else who does such a tremendous job of instilling patience in others as you. kudos.

"What has he done wrong by giving an opinion on items he considers himself an expert over?"

therein is the entire gist of my post. joel, do you believe it's humanly possible for one man to genuinely have expertise in all of the different areas i've listed? for him to be a true expert in every NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA, minor league item from every team for the past 30 yrs? you believe it's possible, then our discussion is over. if you believe, correctly, that it's not possible then therein lies the problem: he's writing letters on items he doesn't have expertise in.

"..calling him out on knowing too much is really not a fair argument."

calling a professional out for giving opinions on things he isn't qualified to give opinions on isn't fair? i'm not calling him out on "knowing too much" joel. in fact, i'm calling him out on the opposite; on purporting to know things he couldn't possibly know. it's called negligence. misrepresentation. malfeasance. take your pick. it's beyond fair. just ask anyone who's ever been indicted for any of those things.

greg and i will stop overdueing it now.

rudi.

No, Rudi, Greg crossed the line - He was totally out of line and I want the moderator to remove his post and suspend him for another personal attack against me when I was just debating your post honestly and professionally. He has done this to me time and time again, and it is not professional - He is being immature.

I believe the guy (Lou) knows more than we can imagine as an authenticator. I have made it clear that I do not like his customer service policy - His lack of contact with the collecting community and his questionable track record.

I do not understand how you can list everything he gave an opinion on and say he can't possibly know all that - It is just not for you or I to decide since we have no clue what this man knows.

He gives an opinion. We believe he does not research his opinion as others (MEARS, you personally, MeiGray) may research, but he is allowed to give an opinion as his profession and that is what he does.

otismalibu
09-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Did I forget the smiley? My bad.

I just created a template to save you some time.

You don't need to use it. I just did some research and posted something I thought could help you out.

And really, isn't that what this forum is all about?

Peace & love, my brother.

otismalibu
09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
As a tribute to all the golfers out there, I will penalize myself for this foul.

One week suspension, without pay.

hblakewolf
09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
No, Rudi, Greg crossed the line - He was totally out of line and I want the moderator to remove his post and suspend him for another personal attack against me when I was just debating your post honestly and professionally. He has done this to me time and time again, and it is not professional - He is being immature.

I believe the guy (Lou) knows more than we can imagine as an authenticator. I have made it clear that I do not like his customer service policy - His lack of contact with the collecting community and his questionable track record.

I do not understand how you can list everything he gave an opinion on and say he can't possibly know all that - It is just not for you or I to decide since we have no clue what this man knows.

He gives an opinion. We believe he does not research his opinion as others (MEARS, you personally, MeiGray) may research, but he is allowed to give an opinion as his profession and that is what he does.

Moderators-

I concur with Joel, however, believe a tar and feathering is more in order for this continued and extremely serious abuse of Forum rules

Likewise, a second attack on Joel should not be tolerated and I for one suggest a public hanging!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Moderators-

I concur with Joel, however, believe a tar and feathering is more in order for this continued and extremely serious abuse of Forum rules

Likewise, a second attack on Joel should not be tolerated and I for one suggest a public hanging!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

...and they attack me for going off topic.

Nice picture!

soxwin1
09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
McCAIN in 08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trsent
09-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Otismalibu, Greg, and I have taken our discussion off the forum and have made peace in private emails. We are having brunch this Sunday if anyone would like to attend.

Just an update for those of you keeping score at home.

both-teams-played-hard
09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
McCAIN in 08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of Bullwinkle and moose everywhere...let's hope not.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8619/myfriendsbz8.jpg
Move the crowd, Johnny!

bigtime59
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
In the spirit of "if you can't say anything nice..." I'd like to commend Lou Lampson on his consistent, dogged advocacy of the exclamation point as America's favorite punctuation!

On the other hand, opinions are like...

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

I don't play poker...even on TV...nor do I watch it!
(Just thought you'd want to know...)

34swtns
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Seriously.......... best damned thread I've seen on this board in quite some time. Very entertaining, as always, Greg. Enjoy your self-imposed exile! Hell, I might even join you.
Except for the recent Sid Luckman thread the board has become quite a snoozefest of late.

trsent
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Seriously.......... best damned thread I've seen on this board in quite some time. Very entertaining, as always, Greg. Enjoy your self-imposed exile! Hell, I might even join you.
Except for the recent Sid Luckman thread the board has become quite a snoozefest of late.

Yes, but the Luckman thread, which the owner of the jersey has ignored my questions about their consignment terms (as he told us terms they would accept previously) the controversy was if I was trying to cause trouble by bringing up a fact that would be disclosed by American Memorabilia (I never doubted it would be) but I brought it up and people assumed I was looking for trouble.