PDA

View Full Version : Misrepresented AROD baseball

joelsabi
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250290008771

this baseball was only used on that game.

trsent
09-03-2008, 09:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250290008771

this baseball was only used on that game.

That is scary. Doesn't the LOA state the item is a "Home Run" ball? So Elite may have also misrepresented it also if your claims are correct. How did you determine the ball only to be used all game and not a home run ball as advertised?

joelsabi
09-03-2008, 09:47 PM
That is scary. Doesn't the LOA state the item is a "Home Run" ball? So Elite may have also misrepresented it also if your claims are correct. How did you determine the ball only to be used all game and not a home run ball as advertised?

elite has had these types of balls for sale in the past but describe them as a baseball used in that game. the certificate were similar. they were not misrepresented by elite.

joelsabi
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Hologram number MR250288 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS - OAK@TEX 6/25/03
Game: OAK@TEX 6/25/2003

trsent
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
elite has had these types of balls for sale in the past but describe them as a baseball used in that game. the certificate were similar. they were not misrepresented by elite.

Here is a picture of the COA from eBay, it looks to me like the COA is not 100% right on as it is confusing and I see where the seller has confusion. It clearly says: "Alex Rodriguez Home Run #317 Game Used Baseball 6-25-03" which makes the seller think this is the actual home run baseball.

mvandor
09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Here is a picture of the COA from eBay, it looks to me like the COA is not 100% right on as it is confusing and I see where the seller has confusion. It clearly says: "Alex Rodriguez Home Run #317 Game Used Baseball 6-25-03" which makes the seller think this is the actual home run baseball.

I believe Elite has been playing that game with the shaded wording for awhile. Obviously the intent would seem to be to mislead to inflate value of the item.

Would love to hear a response on the subject from them.

Nino
09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I am the seller of this ball, This is the actual Home Run ball! I have been through this all before, I was doing exactley what all of you are doing before and when I bought the ball. I called Elite and talked to them for a good half hour, The Auction House said they purchased it from the fella who caught the ball, and he got it authenticated from Elite! And also Palmeiro had 2 Home Runs that game when he was already in the 500's , wouldn't it say Palmeiro's name if it was just a game used ball. If you don't fell comfortable bidding on the ball then you don't have to but trust me this is the actual ball !

trsent
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I am the seller of this ball, This is the actual Home Run ball! I have been through this all before, I was doing exactley what all of you are doing before and when I bought the ball. I called Elite and talked to them for a good half hour, The Auction House said they purchased it from the fella who caught the ball, and he got it authenticated from Elite! And also Palmeiro had 2 Home Runs that game when he was already in the 500's , wouldn't it say Palmeiro's name if it was just a game used ball. If you don't fell comfortable bidding on the ball then you don't have to but trust me this is the actual ball !

...and that is a great relpy!

joelsabi
09-04-2008, 04:19 PM

glad you are member of the forum. i have seen these certificate before on other balls and they were sold by elite as baseball used on the particular game but not the actual homerun ball.

as i asked you in a email can you supply me with the auction house that you bought the ball from. i email you at your aol account but it bounced back.

thanks in advance.

joelsabi
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Hologram number MR250288 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.

Also this is the information in the MLB database from the hologram information you provided me. There is no mention that it was an actual homerun ball.

Nino
09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
As bad as this sounds I dont remember, At one point I was buying stuff like crazy from all these high end auctions (stuff such as game use joe namath helmets, game used joe namath jerseys, autographed baseballs, and so much more, My WHOLE HOUSE is a Museum ! I sell some of the stuff I bought in the past all the time on ebay ! But please ask as many questions as you need !

joelsabi
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I see 6 balls authenticated from that specific game.

MR250284-MR250289

All of them have the same description:

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: June 25, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

So I will leave it at that. I hope you remember what auction house because I think you will be disappointed in what sum of money you get on ebay as opposed to what you paid.

trsent
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I see 6 balls authenticated from that specific game.

MR250284-MR250289

All of them have the same description:

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: June 25, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

So I will leave it at that. I hope you remember what auction house because I think you will be disappointed in what sum of money you get on ebay as opposed to what you paid.

So would you guess that these MLB Authenticated baseballs with Elite COAs that Elite told the customer was used for a specific home run cannot be validated by MLB Authenticated other than being used in the specific game?

How could Elite obtain a baseball and then have MLB authenticate it? The story is starting to sound fishier and fishier.

joelsabi
09-04-2008, 10:49 PM
So would you guess that these MLB Authenticated baseballs with Elite COAs that Elite told the customer was used for a specific home run cannot be validated by MLB Authenticated other than being used in the specific game?

How could Elite obtain a baseball and then have MLB authenticate it? The story is starting to sound fishier and fishier.

Elite never told customers that baseballs with these COA were used for a specific home run. I have seen several of these baseballs with these Certificates sold on ebay and each time the baseball was described as a ball used in a game in which rodriguez hit a home run.

granted, the certificate could be worded better but just because the COA is worded to be possibly construed as an actual home run baseball, whether intended or not, does not make the ball a home run baseball. The relative low price at which they sell reflect this. thats why i am curious what auction house he bought it from since the owner of the ball did not buy it directly from elite.

I imagine if it was an actual homerun ball, elite would have rodriguez sign it and sold it as a homerun ball. I imagine the MLB database would have noted that it was a HR ball too. This is what is see from my perspective.

Knowing what auction house the owner bought it from would clear this up.

trsent
09-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Elite never told customers that baseballs with these COA were used for a specific home run. I have seen several of these baseballs with these Certificates sold on ebay and each time the baseball was described as a ball used in a game in which rodriguez hit a home run.

granted, the certificate could be worded better but just because the COA is worded to be possibly construed as an actual home run baseball, whether intended or not, does not make the ball a home run baseball. The relative low price at which they sell reflect this. thats why i am curious what auction house he bought it from since the owner of the ball did not buy it directly from elite.

I imagine if it was an actual homerun ball, elite would have rodriguez sign it and sold it as a homerun ball. I imagine the MLB database would have noted that it was a HR ball too. This is what is see from my perspective.

Knowing what auction house the owner bought it from would clear this up.

So, since we cannot contact the auction house and it seems really unlikely that MLB would authenticate a baseball that a fan caught in a game and then sold it to Elite to write their own COA stating that it was a home run baseball which mlb.com wouldn't confirm.

I know the Elite COA is poorly worded, but for some reason the owner believes the ball is the actual home run baseball and he never said Elite would confirm this. He only said that the forgotten auction house confirmed such.

I am going to stick to your view, since mlb.com doesn't designate this as the actual home run baseball, I find no attribution that it is the rare ball.

Nino
09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
The fan himself got this authenticated and put it in an auction

trsent
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
The fan himself got this authenticated and put it in an auction

MLB offers this service? If this was the case, you need to contact mlb.com and ask them to update their web site that this is an actual home run baseball, as their iron-clad authenticity only authenticates that it was used in the mentioned game.

They are anal, so they would list it as such if it appears to be as such.

b.heagy
09-05-2008, 02:45 PM
if the guy that caught the home run ball had it authenticated by MLB consigned it to auction and you bought it at auction, how does elite fit into this?

Nino
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
He caught the ball, Got it authenticated by Elite, And put it up in an Auction. And I am going to contact MLB.com right now !

b.heagy
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I would investigate. Did you buy the ball at the same auction as the Namath helmet?

Nino
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I am not sure

b.heagy
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/08/06/is-alex-rodriguez-going-to-get-his-no-500-homer-ball-back/

interesting read.

b.heagy
09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
any update from MLB or Elite on this piece?

Nino
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I can not find a contact number for MLB.com, I called Elite around the time of the auction and they were positive it was the actual ball

joelsabi
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
wow a arod collector i recognize from collection ticket stubs bought the ball for over $600.