PDA

View Full Version : Holy Grail's

skyking26
09-03-2008, 07:50 AM
This may have been done before. Have not seen it if it has. Most of us on here have been collecting for many years. In my case, coming up around 30. Anyway, I have a large collection - but my question is...if you had to pare it down to just one...what would it be?

BoneRubbedBat
09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
A Houston Buffs game used flannel jersey.

costas
09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Knicks 1995-1996 alternate game worn jersey

(now their current design)

Moustache Gang
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
1972 Reggie Jackson Oakland A's jersey in any color, green, gold or white. I have been collecting for 18 years and have never seen one come to market/auction. I have seen flannels from '68 to '71 and knits from '73 to '75, but no 1972s.

Mark

godwulf
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
The game-used and signed Randy Johnson fielder's glove.

skyking26
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
It would be hard to pare it down to one thing. Favorites include my Kingman 75-76 OF glove photomatched, 73 Giants home, 72 Giants Road flannel, 82 Mets home or my Giants helmet. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only keep "1" thing, I'd go with the 73 Giants home I guess...

RK

Mr.3000
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Any Pete Rose game used jersey showing good use.

costas
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
just to clarify do you mean something we already own or something we're currently wanting?

joelsabi
09-03-2008, 09:56 AM
just to clarify do you mean something we already own or something we're currently wanting?

that is a good question. i know its a matter of semantics but we all seem to have our own definition of what a holy grail is. is it the best item you own? is it the top item you are searching for? is it the item that once you find it you have completed your collection? is it the mystical item that you have heard stories about but dont know exactly what it looks like?

BoneRubbedBat
09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I think your Holy Grail is something you are seaching for. After you find it it becomes your "centerpiece."

cjmedina1
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Bob

This is a great topic. There is 1 bat I've been looking for.I know its out there cause I had a chance to buy it but passed on it to purchase my 2000 MAC bat aproxx 3/4 years ago.I think the seller wanted 8k for it.That was way out of my league. The bat I'm talking about is a 1987 Signed game used MAC bat and was gifted to Jose Canseco...Here is the cert number is c86361
psa/dna. If you want to see a pitcher and a small write up feel free to type in the cert number to see it...

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

harpt
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd really like to find a Gorman Thomas Bi-Centennial bat. I don't know that it's my ultimate Holy Grail per se, but it certainly always comes to mind when I think of things I would love to own.

both-teams-played-hard
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Any Kenny Reeves Bulls jersey...

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9170/whiteshadowcard1977eu4.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/979/whiteshadowcardartur6.jpg

BIGSTIG
09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I feel some are confused as I was with the topic.

The heading HOLY GRAIL = an object or goal that is sought after for its great significance (something you REALLY REALLY WANT!!)

But when skyking26 wrote "I have a large collection - but my question is...if you had to pare it down to just one...what would it be?"

By using the word pare in this sentence I believe he meant trim your collection down to one piece. I was confused as well.

Anyway, if we are talking about a HOLY GRAIL for me it changes weekly. But today I would say a 1972 Cubs road jersey of Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins or Billy Williams. (now being able to afford one.....that's a different story)

If we are talking about only keeping 1 item from our collection, that would be my Andre Dawson glove, with the Gold Glove label on it.

bigtruck260
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
In my Collection -

Walt Jocketty Signed 2006 WS Baseball. Stupid, right? I was finishing my masters degree at the time of the series, and I was a big fan of Jocketty's leadership style. Anyway, one of my instructors at Webster U. was former Governor Bob Holden (D) MO. Holden knew of my interest in Walt, and had a meeting with Walt regarding the downtown development situation the following weekend. Feeling stupid, I gave Holden the ball and asked him if he wouldn't mind asking Walt to sign it for me....it came back signed the next class. That experience changed my mind about the term "public servant". Holden was a great instructor, and a killer autograph hound.

If I ever came across a set of cleats from Vince Coleman circa 1986-89, I'd certainly consider that a grail. Maybe something from Ray Lankford's single AS appearance, but I'd have to call DonTheLegend first...:)

Wyldkrd
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I would get back Phineas from Godwulf...

skyking26
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I guess I should have said "centerpiece." However, let's do both, suggest centerpiece and holy grail. This is chat, why be confused. We are here to have fun...

boardburn
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
My grail is Yvan Cournoyer's '73 red Canadiens playoffs/SCF jersey. I'm not sure where it is (it could be in the Hockey Hall of Fame, for all I know). That was the first season that I actually paid attention to the NHL standings, and the Canadiens were dominant. I was 12 years old and he was my favorite player.... A little fireplug of a guy (maybe 5' 7") who had amazingly fast feet, hence the nickname "Roadrunner".

loumud
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Definitely Craig Biggio's last game used batting helmet! That thing was absolutely filthy, and I heard he had been wearing the same helmet since the 2000 season since he was so superstitious. I'm sure I'll never see it for sale, but if it were ever available I can just imagine what the price tag would be.

loumud
09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Also, there was a Ladainian Tomlinson game used powder blue jersey from the 2006 season (his MVP year) that sold on the NFL auction site about a year and a half ago for somewhere between $6,000 and $7,000 if I remember correctly. It was worn in a game in which he had 3 touchdowns and displayed outstanding use! Man, I wish I had sprung for it at the time, as I'm sure it will never go for that low of a sales price again, if it ever re-surfaces...

cigarman44
09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Id have to say my 1999-2000 Ankiel Game Used Rawlings fielding glove is my favorite piece.

Item I'd want is Jeff's Ankiel comeback Max bat he hit his first 3 homers with.

He told me unless I have Bill Gates money don't even think about it! :D

RKGIBSON
09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I just collect football. There are a couple players that I would like to have a helmet or jerseys from. One is John David Crow, 57 Heisman winner and St. Louis Cardinal player. The other is Jim Brown.

My collection has evolved to a point where I almost like every item about the same. I do not want to sell anything but, for the right amount they could be bought.

With that being said there is one jersey that I would not sell. It definately is not the most valuable but has some personal meaning to me. That is my 1998 Kevin Greene Panther jersey. It was worn all year and was given to me by Kevin. This jersey is what game used collecting is about to me. Used hard by my favorite player.

LouMud,
I have the Tomlinson jersey and helmet from the 06 game. They are among my favorite. If your ever through Missouri, come by and see it.

Roger
irestorecars@sbcglobal

metsbats
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
The centerpiece of my collection is Ed Hearn's 1986 road jersey.

My holy grail is a Ed Hearn 1986 home jersey.

David

murfsteve25
10-11-2008, 04:19 AM
Gotta be my David Justice game used world series yankees bat. Includes a gold ball mark on the barrel. Got it from steiner along with a few other Justice pieces.

earlywynnfan
10-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Not game used, but let me throw a twist at you. I would be hard pressed to name just one item to keep, but I know what I'd have the hardest time selling: an auto'd baseball from Ed Stevens. He was a minor Brooklyn Dodger, sent to the bench when Jackie was brought up. I got it signed through the mail when I was collecting Bums about 10-12 years ago.

I have no die-hard attachment to the Dodgers, or even Ed Stevens for that matter. But when he sent back the ball, he sent a nice note, and at the bottom, he wrote "PLEASE don't sell this." That's all, but I got the impression of an older man who does the right thing by signing autos for fans, and has watched those fans make money off of him. For some reason, it has really struck home with me, and I'd really have a hard time ever taking money for that ball.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

iceman13
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
1985 aqua Dan Marino jersey worn against Chicago on Monday night.