PDA

View Full Version : Again Why Was My For Sale Thread Deleted??? Admins??

suave1477
09-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Dear Admins,

I am not trying to be a pest but I listed some items yesterday to come to find out again it has been deleted. To the best of my knowledge I have followed all the forum rules.

I didn't list any over the $500 rule and cannot think of what else I could have missed.
I checked to make sure I didnt list anything over $500 and as I know you are not commited to answering why you would delete my thread, I would still like a courtesy answer please, since being a member of this forum for such a long time.

I understand it must be frustrating to see a member miss one of your rules but it is also just as frustrating to take the time out to list items just for it to be erased the next day.

Especially if I do not know what rule I overlooked so this way I wont repeat the same mistake.

Admins please help me understand what I did wrong????

Kid4hof03
09-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Jason,
I believe that the problem is that you are considered a dealer. They were pretty clear that anyone that was a dealer and not just a collector would not be permitted to sell on that forum.

Abe

kylehess10
09-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Jason,
I believe that the problem is that you are considered a dealer. They were pretty clear that anyone that was a dealer and not just a collector would not be permitted to sell on that forum.

Abe

Dealers can be collectors too. If it was someone like Steiner coming on here and selling, then I'd understand; But another collector? Isn't suave a collector of Darryl Strawberry?

trsent
09-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Dealers can be collectors too. If it was someone like Steiner coming on here and selling, then I'd understand; But another collector? Isn't suave a collector of Darryl Strawberry?

According to the rules, dealers are not to post in the Collector to Collector Classified. I collect items, and I have a business.

If a person has a web site or an eBay store selling memorabilia, they are a dealer - It doesn't matter if Steiner Sports is selling stuff or if I am selling stuff - Everyone collects something - But Chris made it clear the new group was not for dealers.

How can we determine who is a dealer - collector every time? It is impossible, but at the same time it is often clear who is a dealer of some nature.

I would like to post there, but I don't because of rules that don't make sense to me but are present.

intheminors
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Any response on this?

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger... I e-mailed one of the admins directly a couple of weeks ago and got no response. I posted to have one of the admins call me on my cell (yes, included my cell number) on 8/25... no response.

On that same note, what makes the following different than suave's situation (because I know some of this stuff is over $500). I guess if you post and say you have stuff available along with your phone number, it's different.:

Game Used Universe has been widely recognized in the sports memorabilia industry as a leading source to help collectors determine the potential legitimacy of game used items. Now Game Used Universe is proud to announce it will be an exclusive distributor for Cowboys-Steiner collectibles.

The Dallas Cowboys are one of sports' most widely- recognized franchises. Its newly formed partnership with Steiner Sports, one of the largest and well-known companies in sports memorabilia, will create an exclusive source for authentic, game used memorabilia directly from Texas Stadium, and each item offered will include certification attesting to the item's legitimacy. Additionally, any items purchased through Game Used Universe will include a Game Used Universe certification as well. .

Through the newly formed partnership, there will be a variety of Cowboys-Steiner products offered through the program including, but not limited to, Dallas Cowboy game used jerseys, helmets, pants, footballs, locker room chairs, locker room nameplates, equipment bags, stadium seats, stadium signage and stadium turf.

Game Used Universe will be making some of these products available at the Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, CA on July 26-27 as well as at the National Sports Collector's Convention in Rosemont, IL July 30-August 3. If you are interested in learning more about Cowboys-Steiner collectibles, you may also contact Game Used Universe by calling 925.552.8023 or emailing sales@gamuseduniverse.com.

ndevlin
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
collector, non-collector, what gives? How can you tell? Maybe Im a collector? Will I get deleted also?

This site is sandpaper to the skin at times.

whatupyos
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm an independant party here. I am not trying to pick a side but just state what I interpreted from the classified section rules. But in reading the rules of the classified section, didn't it state that threads would be deleted if the rules were not followed and that the classified section was or is supposed to be independant of the admins and that no one would be given a response as to why something was deleted. At least thats what I read into the understanding. I don't know if I made any sense here. I just understood it that whatever you post, it would be deleted and no response would be given. It was a do at your own risk kind of a thing without any feedback from any admins under this section.

Just my understanding of how it was going to work. If I were you I wouldn't expect to hear anything back.

But good luck anyway, its worth a try, understandably.

Aaron

mvandor
09-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm an independant party here. I am not trying to pick a side but just state what I interpreted from the classified section rules. But in reading the rules of the classified section, didn't it state that threads would be deleted if the rules were not followed and that the classified section was or is supposed to be independant of the admins and that no one would be given a response as to why something was deleted. At least thats what I read into the understanding. I don't know if I made any sense here. I just understood it that whatever you post, it would be deleted and no response would be given. It was a do at your own risk kind of a thing without any feedback from any admins under this section.

Just my understanding of how it was going to work. If I were you I wouldn't expect to hear anything back.

But good luck anyway, its worth a try, understandably.

Aaron
I think a valid point is a little communication would go a long way. If the now for-profit, corporate oriented admins would message or email the offender telling them their post is being removed and why, it would go a long way toward both eliminating the mystery and soothing the ruffled feathers.

Mr.3000
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't list things for sale, but I know I would like to hear how this site can distinguish, with 100% certainty, who is and who is not a dealer.

The best thing said in this whole debate is - Dealers can be collectors too.

ChrisCavalier
09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
While I believe this topic was already addressed in a previous thread, the purpose of the collector to collector forum is exactly what it is stated to be. It is a forum intended for "collectors to sell among themselves. It is not intended for dealers, businesses or professional teams looking to sell their merchandise but simply a collector forum."

Basically, if you have a website or business that is dedicated to the sale of sports memorabilia you will likely be considered a "dealer". In addition, the listing of massive amounts of inventory on the forum, as well as and the attempt to refer people to another website with items for sale, is also likely another indication that the listing party is a dealer.

Notably, we will be launching another forum soon which will allow dealers to offer their items on GUU if they are interested. We will provide the details for those parties wishing to use it when the platform is released.

b.heagy
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Mr Cavalier,
I have no idea what it takes to create the new platform. With all the new policies and fees that ebay has made, I think it would be a great time for you/the forum to roll out with the new platform. If you can create a platform cheaper than ebay I beleive you have a great shot at making something huge out of it. I personally list on ebay and the fees are deeply cutting into what profit is left. I for one would gladly participate here rather than ebay if your fees are reasonable. With the knowledge and traffic you have here on this forum you have the opportunity to make this forum a huge success. Just my opinion. With Respect, Bill

b.heagy
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
forgot to mention. when I listed items for sale on the old platform in this forum I would have more views here than on ebay.

ChrisCavalier
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Mr Cavalier,
I have no idea what it takes to create the new platform. With all the new policies and fees that ebay has made, I think it would be a great time for you/the forum to roll out with the new platform. If you can create a platform cheaper than ebay I beleive you have a great shot at making something huge out of it. I personally list on ebay and the fees are deeply cutting into what profit is left. I for one would gladly participate here rather than ebay if your fees are reasonable. With the knowledge and traffic you have here on this forum you have the opportunity to make this forum a huge success. Just my opinion. With Respect, Bill
Hello Bill,

Thank you for your feedback. We have actually worked on developing a platform and it is just about ready to rollout (we did some QA testing and are making a few modifications before it goes live). Notably, we also have a number of other things going on right now that has caused this to take longer than expected. However, it should be ready soon.

Thanks again.

mvandor
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I think a valid point is a little communication would go a long way. If the now for-profit, corporate oriented admins would message or email the offender telling them their post is being removed and why, it would go a long way toward both eliminating the mystery and soothing the ruffled feathers.

I see Chris passed right by my comment. Chris, if you or yours are going to nuke posts don't you think the courtesy of communication with the poster as to the act and why it was taken is in order? Seems like a minimal courtesy.

TFig27
09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Jason,

I sent you an email about one of your items.

Thanks a lot
Tom

TFig27@aol.com

ChrisCavalier
09-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I see Chris passed right by my comment. Chris, if you or yours are going to nuke posts don't you think the courtesy of communication with the poster as to the act and why it was taken is in order? Seems like a minimal courtesy.
Hello Michael,

The following has been stated in the user agreement "This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members."

If a post is removed, the poster can simply read the user agreement, which is their responsibility to read before posting, to know why.

eGameUsed
09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Suave,

I feel your pain! You stand to be competition to the owner's of this forum. Something has been bugging me for a few months as I have watched a great idea of a "collectors forum" turn into a dwindling business proposition. I am 29 years old, and even though young, I have had some unique business experience. I have always lived by a theory that there are two key ingedients to a "good" business - asset management and people.

First, asset management. Well, this site is relatively cheap. I have partial ownership in multiple storefronts and shopping centers. You want to talk about major operating expense, then just pay a annual franchise fee or landlord's square foot rent. Ouch! Also, if you were very eager to develop a platform for selling by all, then do it. Bill Gates, Mark Cuban, and Michael Dell didn't develop Windows, Yahoo, or Dell overnight, not over a year, but we are talking about a simple selling platform. Come on guys! Either do it or don't do it; roll it out with kinks, that is what a new version or upgrade or patch is for. Don't over promise and under deliver! If you are going to hype the asset, make it happen!

Second, and most importantly, people. Chris Cavalier has financed and developed a great idea into what is here today. Apparently, they operate successful auctions and have the ability to develop relationships that we all know about through spam (i.e. Cowboys/Steiner). However, Chris and others would be looking for something else to do if it wasn't for all of us that started with the small annual fee. If it wasn't for US bringing all of the knowledge to the table, this forum would be as worthless as any other chat room. With that being said, when was the last time any of us have gotten a thank you for contributing? Instead, we deal with a high and mighty attitude, egos of the admin (Sorry Chris, most of your posts come off as condescending).

Isn't it ashame that as I finish writing this, I realize it will probably be deleted by the owners of this site. But, the good news is that they read it, and will eventually realize the mistake they have made. Oh well, I am just a 29 year old "young kid," but I have made my first Million for a reason. And I assure you it wasn't for selling $15 bats!

Good Luck,

both-teams-played-hard
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh well, I am just a 29 year old "young kid," but I have made my first Million for a reason.
Chris
We're all very impressed. I may be broke, but I have a really hot wife.

sammy
09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Chris,

This is also stated in the user agreement. Perhaps the administrators should adhere to that part too.

"nor will Game Used Universe moderate this forum"

We had a nice forum here before Eric sold it to GUU. It was actually for collectors and dealers, or anybody that wanted to contribute.

Now it is just another business that makes a profit off of someone else's work and knowledge.

mvandor
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hello Michael,

The following has been stated in the user agreement "This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members."

If a post is removed, the poster can simply read the user agreement, which is their responsibility to read before posting, to know why.

Well, Chris, if you're too busy trying to make a profit off the GUU forum community to abide by common forum courtesies (user agreement notwithstanding), then let me suggest as a 54 year old businessman navigating the waters of the service industry for the past 25 years, that you might benefit from some customer service training.

Removing forum posts without any communication is bad form in a non-profit environment, let alone in a business one. Not to mention it produces unnecessarily bad PR.

eGameUsed
09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Chris

BTPH,

Good point! I guess I am fortunate to have both; especialy considering I found my wife before I figured out how to make money! I guess she loves me for more than money, or was just hoping my brains were going to pan out!

allstarsplus
09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
BTPH,

Good point! I guess I am fortunate to have both; especialy considering I found my wife before I figured out how to make money! I guess she loves me for more than money, or was just hoping my brains were going to pan out!

C - That may be one of the better responses I've seen in a while!

Beauty, brains, bucks ($,$$$,$$$), brawn (?), and balls,

and bats---lots of bats! Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, etc.

Living the American Dream!

eGameUsed
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Andrew! Haha! Like that. I might get criticized for not having an accurate count of how many houses . . . I mean bats . . . I own. Haha! Just kidding, I just have one house. I am disappointment to the Grand Old Party!

metsbats
09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
C - That may be one of the better responses I've seen in a while!

Beauty, brains, bucks ($,$$$,$$$), brawn (?), and balls,

and bats---lots of bats! Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, etc.

Living the American Dream!

Wow. You just gave a new meaning to the Killer B's!

trsent
09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Chris

ME TOO!

Here she is at a boring Cardnials-Pirates game that we made it through the 6th inning before leaving. The hot dogs and cupcakes in the club lounge were really good.

Billyu40
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Suave,

I feel your pain! You stand to be competition to the owner's of this forum. Something has been bugging me for a few months as I have watched a great idea of a "collectors forum" turn into a dwindling business proposition. I am 29 years old, and even though young, I have had some unique business experience. I have always lived by a theory that there are two key ingedients to a "good" business - asset management and people.

First, asset management. Well, this site is relatively cheap. I have partial ownership in multiple storefronts and shopping centers. You want to talk about major operating expense, then just pay a annual franchise fee or landlord's square foot rent. Ouch! Also, if you were very eager to develop a platform for selling by all, then do it. Bill Gates, Mark Cuban, and Michael Dell didn't develop Windows, Yahoo, or Dell overnight, not over a year, but we are talking about a simple selling platform. Come on guys! Either do it or don't do it; roll it out with kinks, that is what a new version or upgrade or patch is for. Don't over promise and under deliver! If you are going to hype the asset, make it happen!

Second, and most importantly, people. Chris Cavalier has financed and developed a great idea into what is here today. Apparently, they operate successful auctions and have the ability to develop relationships that we all know about through spam (i.e. Cowboys/Steiner). However, Chris and others would be looking for something else to do if it wasn't for all of us that started with the small annual fee. If it wasn't for US bringing all of the knowledge to the table, this forum would be as worthless as any other chat room. With that being said, when was the last time any of us have gotten a thank you for contributing? Instead, we deal with a high and mighty attitude, egos of the admin (Sorry Chris, most of your posts come off as condescending).

Isn't it ashame that as I finish writing this, I realize it will probably be deleted by the owners of this site. But, the good news is that they read it, and will eventually realize the mistake they have made. Oh well, I am just a 29 year old "young kid," but I have made my first Million for a reason. And I assure you it wasn't for selling $15 bats!

Good Luck,

Great post and very well said!

whatupyos
09-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I have to agree with the above reply. Very well said Chris. It reminds me of something very near and dear to all Americans who love this country. "We the people"!! My how we forget we all have the power and you're right. Where would this site be without any and all who contribute?

Aaron

suave1477
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
First I would like to say to all the members that made a comment THANK YOU!!! It was refreshing to see the thoughts of members on this topic with out an argument being started and with intelligent comments that forced me to think more into all this.

Yet the Admin (Chris Cavalier) as much as I appreciate you stepping in and making a comment all you really did was hide behind your blanket rules and I was a bit dissapointed by that.
If you want to say in the rules you do not have to respond to why my thread was deleted that is fine.
But instead you post that it could of been one of 2 possibilities which I don't understand how that makes things anything better. Because your not stating it is one of 2 definites but possibilities.

Now you say I am being classified as a possible dealer and that is fine I can live with that, but yet how did you come to this conclucsion if you dont want to answer and hide behind the rules of the forum answer this how did you classify me as being a dealer???? You said because I have a lot of inventory to sell??? That makes me a dealer a (collector) is not allowed to have a lot of things???

Since answering a question as to how you classify people is not in the forum rules I would expect an answer to this?

As far as this being a forum for collectors. GUU has made an agreement with Steiner/Cowboys and has also started GUU Auction which is for profit, to me that classifies you as being a dealer. So are you saying the admins of the forum are going to stop advertising since GUU has become in itself a dealer of sports memorabilia????

camarokids
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I have said it before and will say it again.

The admins lack of communication is quite bothersome, and shows a lack of respect for its members.

The lack of communication and hiding behind your little rules has a ring of being too good, high and mighty or even a dictatorship.

First it was the lack of updates about when the for sale section would come out.

Now they cannot have the common courtesy to respond to your members questions.

Others have said this as well, without the forums members , where would GUU be????

If you all keep pissing enough members off, soon you won't have any members to piss off.

Then we all can go on other sites or start new ones!

I do not post nearly as much on this forum and will continue to not do so.

Don't forget about the people who made this site what it was a few months ago and what it could be today!

Will I be banned now for speaking my mind?

b.heagy
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
My take on the situation is this. For sale section was closed originally for the 1st auction (understandable). It was supposed to be brought back after the auction closed, however the owners of the forum decided to have a new platform (great !). Leaving the old for sale section closed. It was closed for a LONG time. Members wanted the for sale section brought back, it happened after a long period of time. Brought back for the convenience of the members at the members request. Perhaps the old section was still closed because the admins did not have enough time to police it as it seems to be the issue now (takes alot of time to babysit when you have other priorities). But with that said the for sale section is now open, it has listed rules for all to see. I do not understand how you can classify every person as a dealer or collector (I would not want to try). I look at both sides of the argument. I see an opportunity to have the for sale section open and left for all to enjoy, I aslo see that the door can be closed too. Just my take.

ndevlin
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree with just about all of what everyone is saying! Ive said this before-

This site is like sandpaper to the skin at times! Its run at a very unprofessional manner.

ChrisCavalier
09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

Let me try to be as clear as possible. If you look through previous posts, you will see numerous times where we have said the members do make this site great and we have often thanked people for the contributions they make.

With that said, we have also mentioned that GUU is a business and will need to generate revenues to exist. I know some people have expressed the desire for GUU to continue to invest in building the site and have everyone involved with the site to work for free but that is simply not possible. In creating a model to generate revenue we have chosen one that allows people to use the forum for free and where we will attempt to generate revenue through a transaction model that we believe is an improvement over existing models and one that is greatly beneficial to the collecting community. Among other things, it is our way of offering something to the collecting community and we are very happy that collectors don't need to pay anything to use the forum. In fact, I think a number of people on this thread (eGameUsed, mvandor, sammy, whatupyos, etc.) will attest to the fact that they are complimentary members and we have not charged them a dime for the use of any of the services on this site despite the costs involved with running it. We believe setting things up this way has allowed collectors to benefit from more and more people using the site and freely sharing information with one another. We also believe that is one of the reasons this site has been so influential in creating change in the hobby for the better.

As far as the ability to sell on the site, we have also set up the collector to collector classifieds section free of charge to collectors. Thus, collectors can use the forum for free as well as the classified section without any charge whatsoever. As with the use of the forum, we are happy to offer this service to collectors and hope they enjoy using it.

Where GUU will attempt to generate its revenues is through the transaction models that we believe also provides unprecedented benefits to collectors. For example, in our consignment auctions, not only do we do all the things other auction houses do (evaluations, write-ups, etc.), we also created custom software where people can ask questions publicly and those questions could be answered by publicly by anyone with substantiated information. While we thought collectors would be thrilled to have such a system available to them when considering an item for purchase, we were surprised to see that some have tried to accuse us of using "free labor". With all due respect, when you look at things objectively, we are doing all the things any other auction house does prior to allowing collectors to answer questions, etc. While we thought it would be a great system where we not only do all the things others do but also allow anyone who wishes to participate in the process to do so, it seems some have tried to paint a picture of us trying to exploit the members. Quite simply, that picture is erroneous and misguided.

In fact, I think that seems to be the issue overall. While we provide a number of things to collectors that I think few others offer and we are creating systems that allow the community to provide help to each other, there are some who simply will not like the fact that not everything is going to be free in perpetuity. We have invested a great deal of money to get the site to where it is today and we believe we are helping collectors in enormous ways. We will give everything we can to the community but, at the same time, we will need to generate income to continue. We believe this can be done in ways where both parties benefit. It’s really not more complicated than that.

Here is the bottom line equation. Everyone wishing to come here can use the forum for free if they so chose. We believe setting things up that way is allowing for greater participation and more benefits to collectors. Collectors also have the ability to use the collector to collector classifieds and we won't charge them a dime. Businesses and dealers can also use the forum for free. However, if they wish to sell through GUU they can use the consignment auctions of the platform that we will be rolling out (the target date for the platform rollout is September 15 but I don't want to make a promise in case there is a hold-up). We believe it is a structure where the collecting community can benefit in unprecedented ways and GUU can also exist as a business. We believe it is a win/win situation for all who wish to participate and it will help the hobby continue to move in a positive direction.

suave1477
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

Let me try to be as clear as possible. If you look through previous posts, you will see numerous times where we have said the members do make this site great and we have often thanked people for the contributions they make.

With that said, we have also mentioned that GUU is a business and will need to generate revenues to exist. I know some people have expressed the desire for GUU to continue to invest in building the site and have everyone involved with the site to work for free but that is simply not possible. In creating a model to generate revenue we have chosen one that allows people to use the forum for free and where we will attempt to generate revenue through a transaction model that we believe is an improvement over existing models and one that is greatly beneficial to the collecting community. Among other things, it is our way of offering something to the collecting community and we are very happy that collectors don't need to pay anything to use the forum. In fact, I think a number of people on this thread (eGameUsed, mvandor, sammy, whatupyos, etc.) will attest to the fact that they are complimentary members and we have not charged them a dime for the use of any of the services on this site despite the costs involved with running it. We believe setting things up this way has allowed collectors to benefit from more and more people using the site and freely sharing information with one another. We also believe that is one of the reasons this site has been so influential in creating change in the hobby for the better.

As far as the ability to sell on the site, we have also set up the collector to collector classifieds section free of charge to collectors. Thus, collectors can use the forum for free as well as the classified section without any charge whatsoever. As with the use of the forum, we are happy to offer this service to collectors and hope they enjoy using it.

Where GUU will attempt to generate its revenues is through the transaction models that we believe also provides unprecedented benefits to collectors. For example, in our consignment auctions, not only do we do all the things other auction houses do (evaluations, write-ups, etc.), we also created custom software where people can ask questions publicly and those questions could be answered by publicly by anyone with substantiated information. While we thought collectors would be thrilled to have such a system available to them when considering an item for purchase, we were surprised to see that some have tried to accuse us of using "free labor". With all due respect, when you look at things objectively, we are doing all the things any other auction house does prior to allowing collectors to answer questions, etc. While we thought it would be a great system where we not only do all the things others do but also allow anyone who wishes to participate in the process to do so, it seems some have tried to paint a picture of us trying to exploit the members. Quite simply, that picture is erroneous and misguided.

In fact, I think that seems to be the issue overall. While we provide a number of things to collectors that I think few others offer and we are creating systems that allow the community to provide help to each other, there are some who simply will not like the fact that not everything is going to be free in perpetuity. We have invested a great deal of money to get the site to where it is today and we believe we are helping collectors in enormous ways. We will give everything we can to the community but, at the same time, we will need to generate income to continue. We believe this can be done in ways where both parties benefit. It’s really not more complicated than that.

Here is the bottom line equation. Everyone wishing to come here can use the forum for free if they so chose. We believe setting things up that way is allowing for greater participation and more benefits to collectors. Collectors also have the ability to use the collector to collector classifieds and we won't charge them a dime. Businesses and dealers can also use the forum for free. However, if they wish to sell through GUU they can use the consignment auctions of the platform that we will be rolling out (the target date for the platform rollout is September 15 but I don't want to make a promise in case there is a hold-up). We believe it is a structure where the collecting community can benefit in unprecedented ways and GUU can also exist as a business. We believe it is a win/win situation for all who wish to participate and it will help the hobby continue to move in a positive direction.

Chris I do apologize if you take this as any offense BUT!!!

It was a very interestinging explanation you gave by selling us how great this site is.
Yet you still ignored my questions???
I started this thread with questions for you and/or any other admin who would care to answer.
You have so far now come on here twice and with the second answer elaborately selling me on how great this site is and all the wonderful advantages this site provides.
At any point can you please answer my concerns / questions?

Example: your trying to sell me a car with out an engine and im asking you about the engine and you keep going on telling me how great it has a sunroof and stereo

If you do not care to answer my question directly that is fine but then just say so........ dont avoid it by telling me what great features this site offers.

ChrisCavalier
09-03-2008, 01:00 PM

It was a very interestinging explanation you gave by selling us how great this site is.
I started this thread with questions for you and/or any other admin who would care to answer.
You have so far now come on here twice and with the second answer elaborately selling me on how great this site is and all the wonderful advantages this site provides.

Example: your trying to sell me a car with out an engine and im asking you about the engine and you keep going on telling me how great it has a sunroof and stereo

If you do not care to answer my question directly that is fine but then just say so........ dont avoid it by telling me what great features this site offers.
Hello Jason,

I believe the post was considered as coming from a dealer because it listed 43 items and opened with the following statements:

"Dear Members here is a small portion of our Inventory if there is anything your interested in please ask.

GREAT ITEMS AT LOW PRICES

WE HAVE TONS MORE IN STOCK JUST EMAIL ME!!!"

Among other things, I think your reference to "inventory" and "tons more items in stock" is what qualified you as a dealer.

Does that answer your question?

ndevlin
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
While we're on the subject:

With this new platform coming on the 15th, what effects will the upcoming fall auction have on this new platform, as well as the classified section we have now?

trsent
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Jason, don't you have a web site selling memorabilia?

CollectGU
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

With that said, we have also mentioned that GUU is a business and will need to generate revenues to exist.

Chris,

Just to be clear, you need to generate revenue to make money for yourself and the owners of GUU. You make it sound like the site couldn't exist without being a business, when in fact, it would exist and thrive without being a business just as it did when Eric ran it. You don't need to do what you are doing to keep the site up, you choose to do it to try and make money, which is fine. This site could exist without an auction and fee based for sale section.....

Regards,
Dave

mvandor
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Chris, let's be honest with each other here. I've said before I don't take issue with GUU becoming a for profit entity. I HAVE taken issue, as a forum member (I assume as a free member I'm entitled to voice my opinion) with the recent modding of the forums, which have a non-profit past history.

The style of modding has become heavy handed and frankly insensitive, generating a backlash from me and others. All of this can be EASILY resolved if you and your admins would take a few seconds to politely COMMUNICATE your actions to people.

Case #1 was suspension or termination of forum membership for a generally well regarded and liked member who made a mistake and apologized for it. I never saw if he was reinstated after some time off, rather it seemed your approach to dealing with the uproar in that thread became "ignore it and it'll go away".

Case #2 was Suave's items being pulled from the 4 sale forum (which you've now explained and I certainly agree makes sense) without the courtesy of notification to him. The issue isn't the removal, it's the lack of communication.

There simply seems to be no regognition on your part that these actions were handled with no concern as to PR, there just seems to be a "my way or the highway" attitude around here lately.

I'm not so naive as to think GUU took over these forums as a public service, clearly you were in essence attaining an active customer base by taking them over. I do not understand how you feel these actions and your handling of them are not going to result in members departing and looking for somewhere else to post. From a strictly business standpoint, that's contrary to your business interests.

suave1477
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Jason, don't you have a web site selling memorabilia?

Joel as you know I am trying to be civil with you due to our past so I will answer your question as it is directly based on this topic/question.

Do I have a site? I own a site

As far as the site itself selling memorabilia it is not up at the moment due to some problems with the web designer I had hired.
It hasn't been up for some time due to me having priorites that come before this.

So as far as the website rule!!! Really would not apply to me since I do not have an active website that can be viewed by the public at this present time.

But I do own the name to the site and have the database for it.

trsent
09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Chris,

Just to be clear, you need to generate revenue to make money for yourself and the owners of GUU. You make it sound like the site couldn't exist without being a business, when in fact, it would exist and thrive without being a business just as it did when Eric ran it. You don't need to do what you are doing to keep the site up, you choose to do it to try and make money, which is fine. This site could exist without an auction and fee based for sale section.....

Regards,
Dave

I don't know about everyone else, but I assume everyone has bills to pay.

I do not agree with the new policy of policing who can or cannot post in the for sale section, but I understand it is a rule and I do not sell there. I do not understand how a rule can be so vague, but it is because there will always be dealers selling in the thread who no one knows are dealers.

I also find it wrong that those of us classified as dealers who are regular contributors to this forum are told we cannot sell as collectors in the new for sale section.

With all that being said, this site is a private business, and they can run it however they wish. I think it has come to the point where we get frustrated as do the moderators and then it appears to be a dictatorship (someone used that term earlier) because often there is so much silliness on this forum.

This site is like eBay. People complain about eBay all the time, but whenever someone tries to create competition, they fail because everyone flocks to eBay. Same with this forum. This place is the bomb and anyone who tries to create a new place for these discussions will find poor turnout.

I applaud Game Used Universe for providing us with this site and hopefully the new dealer selling forum will work to make everyone happy!

trsent
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Joel as you know I am trying to be civil with you due to our past so I will answer your question as it is directly based on this topic/question.

Do I have a site? I own a site

As far as the site itself selling memorabilia it is not up at the moment due to some problems with the web designer I had hired.
It hasn't been up for some time due to me having priorites that come before this.

So as far as the website rule!!! Really would not apply to me since I do not have an active website that can be viewed by the public at this present time.

But I do own the name to the site and have the database for it.

Thank you for answering my question.

So, yes, you own a web site to sell memorabilia.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow! How much GUU has changed since I found it a few years ago.

So much negativity today.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow! How much GUU has changed since I found it a few years ago.

So much negativity today.

Don't get me wrong. There are many valid points. However, it just seems to keep going on...and on...and on.

As I stated before...you can't please everyone.

sylbry
09-03-2008, 02:43 PM
If you are going to be in the business of selling memorabilia then you will also need an outlet to sell them. It is a necessary business expense. For some time dealers were able to list their inventory for free via GUU. GUU asked for nothing in return.

Now GUU, having a new direction in mind, cut the free listings for dealers. Afterall it isn't one business' job to subsidize another business' expenses. To that I say to the dealers, adapt, move on, or get out of the business.

And I reluctantly say it because the quality of items in the for sale section has greatly decreased which in turn affects us all.

GUU may want to think about adding a "dealer directory" where for a small fee dealers could have a link to their own websites. Just a thought.

I do believe a line needs to be drawn distinguishing a dealer to avoid all of this confusion. Personally I believe if you buy more items with the intention of resale than you do for your collection then you are a dealer.

Bottom line is GUU is a private business that can be run anyway the owners choose. They could turn the site into a Pez dispenser forum if they really wanted and no one can tell them differently. On that same note GUU must recognize that as a business they need to be clearer with their policies and provide better communication.

ChrisCavalier
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Chris,

Regards,
Dave
Hello Dave,

You are absolutely correct that we are running a business. However, I think your assumption that Eric would have been willing to continue to commit significant financial resources and all his personal time to run this site as a charity is a bit misguided. In fact, that is the reason the forum was sold to GUU as a business transaction. It was not given to us as a gift.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with Eric selling the forum as a business transaction. He invested a great deal of his time and money to get the site going. I don't think it would have been fair for him to invest significant time and resources without the hope of some return. That simply wouldn't be fair. I think the same is also true for GUU. We have invested a great deal of time and money to create something we believe is helping the collecting community. That is what good businesses do. They recognize an unmet need in a market and invest to create a product or service that will help people. If they achieve that objective the business should succeed.

Notably, the forum is still free to members the same way it has always been. We also have the collector to collector classifieds section which is also free to any collector wanting to use it. The real issue is that some of the members also want us to allow everyone to sell on the site for free and run the site as a charity. Rather than being thanked (like Joel graciously did in his post), we have been attacked for trying to run a business.

I agree with some of the recent posts about the negativity and complaining. If you really think it is fair to expect people to invest large amounts of their time and energy and run this site as a charity, you can do one of the following:

1) You can invest your own time and a great deal of money (this site has grown because we have spent a large amount of money not only on developing the site but also advertising it, going to trade shows, etc.) and set up your own site as a charitable entity.

2) You can buy the forum from us (the same way we did from Eric) and you can run it as a charity.

It's sad I have to say that because I believe, and have heard in person from untold numbers of people first hand, that they think what we are doing is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the hobby. Not only is the forum free for people to use but the transaction models we have created are more transparent than collectors have ever seen while also allowing them to get all the answers they need for items of interest rather than solely relying on the opinions of a select few.

Personally, I agree that it is wearying to have to hear these negative comments. I think it would be much better to focus on how we can help each other the way the site is intended. On a separate note, as for us being "heavy-handed" we have allowed numerous personal attacks directed toward us while it would have been perfectly in our right to ban or suspend people in accordance to the rules. In fact, I have received quite a few emails and personal comments asking why we haven't banned some people from the site already. The answer is, that is not what we are about. We are about creating a community where people can contribute to the benefit of one another.

With that said, if you are going to continue posting here I think everyone would appreciate it if the focus was on how we can continue to help each other make the hobby better.

trsent
09-03-2008, 03:03 PM
With that said, if you are going to continue posting here I think everyone would appreciate it if the focus was on how we can continue to help each other make the hobby better.

For some reason, reading this would be better suited to have We Are The World playing in the background.

suave1477
09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Hello Chris,

Well again this is the 3rd time you have posted a response and have failed to answer any of my concerns/questions.

Yet I am the one who started this thread to get an understanding.

I even said to you if you want to consider me a dealer that is fine I can live with that but can you address my other concerns???

Especially since I am the one who started this thread!!!!

I am not giving any negativity I am just asking for an understanding which in your 3 responses you repeatedly keep ignoring.

b.heagy
09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Jason,
Chris responded to you. It seems you are considered a dealer. Tough to sort through all the posts but it is there. Not sure if that is the question you are seeking an answer for.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Are you guys for real? This is getting ridiculous. Enjoy what is offerred or move on.

What makes so many of you think you can dictate to the owners of this forum how to run it?

What I really don't care for is the rudeness and attacking comments made against the owners.

If I were them, I'd reconsider banning some of you!

mvandor
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Are you guys for real? This is getting ridiculous. Enjoy what is offerred or move on.

What makes so many of you think you can dictate to the owners of this forum how to run it?

What I really don't care for is the rudeness and attacking comments made against the owners.

Frankly, the business owner is bringing this on himself to a large extent by the way in which he's chosen to deal with the forum membership lately (interpret that as "prospective customers" and "sources of income" for GUU). It's simply rubbing some of us the wrong way, particularly those that cherish this place for what it was when it felt like a non-profit by collector for collector venue, rather than a prospect pool for an online auction biz.

It's less a matter of the site's policies and more the style in which they're being enforced the past month or so.

Jays1fan
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM

VERY WELL SAID !

Plus , People KNOW if they are a dealer or not.
Chris answered the original posters comments , they just were NOT what the poster wanted to hear so around and around and around we go.
If people dont like the way the site is being run NOW , then leave.

skyking26
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
The low-point of this forum are the people that come here to bicker, complain, attack. They appear not to be happy with the site, but yet return again and again to complain and cause arguments. Feel free to go elsewhere.

Earlier today I started a neat thread about holy grails. I guess by mistake my meaning was what would be the last thing you'd keep if you had to move everything but one - and right away I had at least 3 people complaining about my wording, etc. Sad.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
The low-point of this forum are the people that come here to bicker, complain, attack. They appear not to be happy with the site, but yet return again and again to complain and cause arguments. Feel free to go elsewhere.

Earlier today I started a neat thread about holy grails. I guess by mistake my meaning was what would be the last thing you'd keep if you had to move everything but one - and right away I had at least 3 people complaining about my wording, etc. Sad.

Skyking26, I agree. I've noticed, especially over the past year, that this forum has become more of a place where everyone just wants to complain, instead of talking about game used memorabilia.

I understand everyone's concerns. Many valid comments. However, we are visitors and participants in this forum. Not the owner.

Freedom of speech is a good thing. However, some just go way overboard.

Appreciate what this forum offers. Enjoy it. It's not all that bad.

yankees159
09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
For the critics of this website, why don't you invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars it takes to create such an online destination and make it free for everyone, with no chance to re-coup your investment and time it takes to manage it. I would imagine you would have to quit your job and dedicate at least 60 or more hours a week to it. IF your not willing to do this, then just be greatful you have a place to share your collecting interst and knowledge. For the dealers out there, how many of you have sold items here? Don't you think it is time to support something that is good for this industry?

Chris keep up the good work, you will never make everyone happy. For those who constantly complain about this forum, stop coming to this website.

TW

3arod13
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
For the critics of this website, why don't you invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars it takes to create such an online destination and make it free for everyone, with no chance to re-coup your investment and time it takes to manage it. I would imagine you would have to quit your job and dedicate at least 60 or more hours a week to it. IF your not willing to do this, then just be greatful you have a place to share your collecting interst and knowledge. For the dealers out there, how many of you have sold items here? Don't you think it is time to support something that is good for this industry?

Chris keep up the good work, you will never make everyone happy. For those who constantly complain about this forum, stop coming to this website.

TW

TW, well said! Without question, the best statement made!

Vintagedeputy
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Thus far, I've stayed out of this latest argument. Part of this is because I've already stated my opinion in prior threads. Part of this is also because I have no use for those gutless members that will send me a pm telling me to stop "F..king brown nosing" and then they dont have the 'stones' to accept pm's in return for my reply.

The point has been made here above by many others. If you dont like the conditions here, the treatment, the rules, the members, etc......LEAVE!

If you would like to discuss game used items in a manner befitting adults, then by all means stay.

My children whine less than some folks here.........

3arod13
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Thus far, I've stayed out of this latest argument. Part of this is because I've already stated my opinion in prior threads. Part of this is also because I have no use for those gutless members that will send me a pm telling me to stop "F..king brown nosing" and then they dont have the 'stones' to accept pm's in return for my reply.

The point has been made here above by many others. If you dont like the conditions here, the treatment, the rules, the members, etc......LEAVE!

If you would like to discuss game used items in a manner befitting adults, then by all means stay.

My children whine less than some folks here.........

Another comment well said. Hopefully, everyone will take a step back and rethink how they react and respond from this point on.

Let's turn this around and make it what it was designed to be. A place to learn about and discuss game used memorabilia.

I think everyone has their own ideas of what they want. That's fine. However, please respect those who run this forum.

I've read all their responses (owners) to such nasty comments about them, however, they always took the high road and responded nicely. Myself, I probably would have lost it and got nasty myself.

Please, let's all make this forum a good one to be a part of.

Tony

metsbats
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Can we just change the title of this thread to "Show us your hot wives" and move on?

David

3arod13
09-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Can we just change the title of this thread to "Show us your hot wives" and move on?

David

Sure we can...

cigarman44
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

David

Spiezio23
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM

I guess I'm one of the "sad" ones then. Every time I've seen the "Holy Grail" term used in the game used hobby is was about that one elusive item you're searching for, you know it's out there somewhere but you've not found it or haven't been able to get it for one reason or another.

I know the last piece in my collection I'd part with and in no way would I consider it a "Holy Grail" item. I have no "Holy Grail" items in my collection, so I didn't respond with that one last piece I'd sell.

You simply used a term that is typicaly associated differently, and you expect nobody to notice? I'm not attacking nor complaining just pointing out what I'm sure most people thought when you said "Holy Grail" and yes I know you outlined in your post what you meant it's just not common to do that.

Vintagedeputy
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM

David

Post of the year David, post of the year!!!!!!!

mvandor
09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
It's one thing to disagree with points being made by those that are questioning or even challenging GUU management over recent changes to the way the forums are being administered. It is wholly another to start telling others to in essence STFU - or to tell them to get in lock step or take a hike.

I would suggest to some of you that you might try and at least respect the differences of opinion or concerns of others, even if you don't agree with them personally.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
It's one thing to disagree with points being made by those that are questioning or even challenging GUU management over recent changes to the way the forums are being administered. It is wholly another to start telling others to in essence STFU - or to tell them to get in lock step or take a hike.

I would suggest to some of you that you might try and at least respect the differences of opinion or concerns of others, even if you don't agree with them personally.

Are you serious? People are going beyond expressing thier opinions or concerns. They are provided with the rules, but fail to want to accept them. Hence, being rude and disrespectful.

Give me a break!

Mr.3000
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Well said. Respect for others is one thing many people seem to lack online. But then again, many people lack it in the real world as well these days.

yankees159
09-03-2008, 08:01 PM

This is the first decent point you made. I applaud you. A challenge to you, if you are so pro collector and against guu profit, why don't you list some of your items in the upcoming auction and donate the proceeds to a charity? For you obvioulsy feel this website should be not for profit. I'm sure the powers to be would waive any fees charged.

If you are not willing to put your money were your mouth is then please stop responding to this thread.

ndevlin
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM

I think what he is saying is that everyone here has their opinion and is aloud to share it and not be criticized for doing so. Though a lot of people complain about pointless things on here, the fact of the matter is, this isnt about who makes profit etc etc... How about how the site is ran in general? And then what are these quotes? "If you dont like it, then leave?" Now what does that solve? How about we work on the things that need a fixin and and stop telling people to leave if they dont like it, thats childish and solves nothing.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I think what he is saying is that everyone here has their opinion and is aloud to share it and not be criticized for doing so. Though a lot of people complain about pointless things on here, the fact of the matter is, this isnt about who makes profit etc etc... How about how the site is ran in general? And then what are these quotes? "If you dont like it, then leave?" Now what does that solve? How about we work on the things that need a fixin and and stop telling people to leave if they dont like it, thats childish and solves nothing.

There's nothing to fix. The owners of this site have listened to the voices of this forum. They elect to do their best and make everyone happy. A task that's impossible. The set the rules and we should abide by them. If we don't like them, then LEAVE...MOVE ON! Nothing wrong with that being said.

ndevlin
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
If you say theres nothing to fix, you obviously havent read the threads in the last year.

3arod13
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
If you say theres nothing to fix, you obviously havent read the threads in the last year.

There's nothing to fix. We are visitors to this forum. We are particpants in this forum. We're not the owners. We're not partners.

Accept what is offerred. If you don't like it...LEAVE!

How difficult is that to understand. If I owned this website, I'd shut it down. Not worth the crap they are given.

ChrisCavalier
09-03-2008, 08:26 PM
At this point, I don't see any value in leaving this thread open. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email me directly. I will respond to emails either later this evening or by tomorrow morning. I'm happy to listen to any comments but I think this thread has run its course.

The original question has been answered (Jason it is post #34). At this point, I think it's time to focus on the forum rule that states:

It is expected that all posts are to be created with a sincere attempt to benefit the hobby.