PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Bell Helmet

cohibasmoker
08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
If you want to see a classic football helmet, this is it because there aren't many of these babies in the hobby.

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380058153341&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=025

Larry Pelliccioni
08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
WFL ones are very tough.
I have 2 in my collection. A Southern California Sun and a Birmingham Americans. The Sun does not have the WFL league decal on back and I have been told that some did, some didn't.
The Americans is great and traceable to a starter on the line for the World Football League Champions.
Larry Pelliccioni

G1X
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
WFL items seem to be harder and harder to find. Larry Pelliccioni and I started collecting WFL uniforms after the league folded in 1975 and that is how we met. The stuff was easy to find back in those days, but it seems to have disappeared from the marketplace over the past few years.

I have a couple of helmets from my hometown team, the Birmingham Americans. One is running back Paul Robinson (AFL Rookie of the Year in 1968 with the Bengals), and the other is Dennis Homan (former Cowboys & Chiefs) who was a collegiate All-American and the favorite target of Snake Stabler at Alabama.

I'm always looking for WFL uniforms - mainly jerseys - so please keep me in mind if anyone is looking to sell or trade.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

aeneas01
09-02-2008, 07:01 AM
wfl helmets remind me of cfl helmets - very niche items that seem to have a small but extremely loyal fan base that's not shy with their wallets when these lids hit the auction block. yet, oddly, usfl helmets never seem to attract the same attention or dollars. personally usfl helmets have never really done it for me - never cared for the "usfl" facemasks. on the other hand i've always thought that wfl helmets were very nice - colored dungards, clear shells, suspensions, tak29, microfits, etc... the wfl just happened to open for business during a very interesting and transformative period for football helmets.

the ebay helmet that was linked to was part of a 6-10 helmet collection - all game worn by ted kwalick. the first time around the helmet hit $1,700 but the reserve wasn't met. this time around it hit $2,300 and sold. also listed were kwalick's raiders helmet, a couple of his pro bowl helmets, his penn state helmet, etc. - his raiders helmet hit $1,100 and his penn state helmet hit $1,700 but the reserve was not met on either. his pro bowl suspension helmets each sold for $600+.

speaking of wfl helmets, a beautiful southern cal suns clearshell just sold on ebay for $600+:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300253291469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=020

about a year or so ago i was emailed photos of a beautiful wfl helmet collection - 10 helmets in all from different wfl teams. definitely the nicest wfl helmet collection i've ever seen. the owner was looking to sell them as set. perhaps this collection belonged to larry or mark? i'm almost certain that the collection belonged to a forum member...