PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this bat please

metsbats
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
I just got this 68-70 Adirondack Cleon Jones thin ring signature model bat today. It measures 36 inches in length and has 276E stamped on the knob. If I had to guess it weighs about 34-35 oz.

I was able to style match the bat.

Anyone know if 276E is a pro model bat or did I just get a store model bat?

Thanks
David

metsbats
08-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I just got this 68-70 Adirondack Cleon Jones thin ring signature model bat today. It measures 36 inches in length and has 276E stamped on the knob. If I had to guess it weighs about 34-35 oz.

I was able to style match the bat.

Anyone know if 276E is a pro model bat or did I just get a store model bat?

Thanks
David

Here's a photo of the bat.

-David

MSpecht
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi David-- On certain Adirondack bats, the letter / series designation refers to the bat's length. An E series designation refers to 36 inch length, No E series Adirondack bat has been identifiable as a professional model game used bat to date by virtue of specific player markings or perfect provenance.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

metsbats
08-31-2008, 03:06 PM
HI Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Next time Jones is in for a signing I'll see what he thinks of the bat. I've seen Jones Adirondack model 197Vs but never seen an 'E' model bat.

Regardless of what it is I got it at a great low price of $38 and is a nice alternative to a real Jones gamer which would have cost met 15 times as much.

David

metsbats
12-28-2015, 04:54 PM
In response to a question about Adirondack E series bats and the thought that there are no known examples of these bats being made specifically for a major league player’s professional use, well this is something else about Adirondack bats I may find myself being the minority opinion on.

Consider this example:

Hodges, Gil, 1953, Model 106E, 36”,35 ½oz
Signature model, 1953 All Star stamping, PERSONAL MODEL above name LIGNINIZED below. MASTROs December 2003, Lot # 1354, page 140.

Tough to argue that this bat was not made specifically for Gil Hodges. If the thought is that Hodges did not use these special bats (AS and World Series), look no further than page 152 of Summer In the City: New York Baseball 1947-1957. Here you will find Hodges using an Adirondack World Series bat in the 1955 World Series.

Form you own opinion, but it was not long ago I was also told that C&D series bats were availabale in retail cataloges and made of less than professional grade lumber. It's been months since I published my articles on these issues and have yet to see any counter evidence or arguments.

Dave Grob

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************

I was doing some more research on "E" model vintage Adirondacks and came across this. Would this refute the theory that no known pro model "E" bats are made for players?

gorilla777
12-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Dave, so that's a '68 specific style ring on it, so wonder if store models would have been that style, in that year. How does the use look, legit?

Ben

metsbats
12-28-2015, 09:52 PM
The bats has nicks and some hit marks. I see no lace marks so in my opinion there not too much typical game use on it. There seems to be a lot of spots where the laquer has come off especially at the barrel end.

I'm more interested in determining based on Dave's post in MEARS about the pro model "E" Hodges if these "E" models could be pro model bats.

The original train of thought was the "E" models were not pro model bats made for players.