PDA

View Full Version : OT: Signer you've been waiting to surface

godwulf
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
We frequently see threads on here asking what item you've been waiting to surface on the market. How about a signer?

What brings this to mind is that I just found out that Steve Garvey is going to be signing in Phoenix in September. About five years ago, Pete Rose was here and signed my copy of that famous photo of him standing at First after his record-setting hit - the photo which, of course, also features Garvey standing to one side, smiling. I've been waiting for Garvey to surface ever since, so he can sign the photo, too.

I'm used to going to these signings weighted down with bats and jerseys and all manner of stuff, 'cause they're always guys that I collect. It's gonna be weird going up there with just one item. Maybe I'll get Garvey to sign a ball for me, too, for the heck of it. The signing tickets are only twenty bucks.

allstarsplus
08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I would like to see Babe Ruth do a public signing even though I heard he died in August 16, 1948. He seems to have signed more balls since that date than before that date. :mad:

I'd like to get Albert Pujols and Mark McGwire at a public signing if prices were reasonable as well as Barry Bonds---if he would sign all items as he has a habit of turning away legit items.

DonTheLegend
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
although the prices for some of these players would be sky high, i would probably pony up for at least one of them.

Sandy Koufax
Mark McGwire
Carl Yastrzemski
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Ichiro Suzuki

.....and Ray Lankford (the bastard has went into hiding apparently)

just my short list.

skipcarayislegend
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I would like to see Babe Ruth do a public signing even though I heard he died in August 16, 1948. He seems to have signed more balls since that date than before that date. :mad:

You're in luck, Andrew. Ruth, Gehrig, Mathewson, Jackson, Plank and Anson are all doing private signings in Souderton, PA next month, and the month after that, and the month after that. I think SCD's doing a story about it.

yanks12025
08-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I would like to see Chris Chambliss to do some signings by were i live. I have one of his bats and also his game used yankee ERA hat that i would like to get signed. I also want to ask him if he remembers how many hats they were issued each year.

Mr.3000
08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I hope Cal Ripken woul dbe signing locally sometime soon. I'd like to get him to sign my 3000 Hit Club ball. He's one of 11 I still need to sign it.

I need:

Yount
Brett
Winfield
Murray
Molitor
Gwynn
Boggs
Ripken
Henderson
Palmeiro
Biggio

ironmanfan
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Ripken's next public signing will be in northern Jersey in mid December as part of MAB's "Magic Monikers 2" show...

Mr.3000
08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Ripken's next public signing will be in northern Jersey in mid December as part of MAB's "Magic Monikers 2" show...

Anyway you could email me the details? I'd really appreciate it, I'd love to attend.

platinum1
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Well this one is easy Carl Everett and Dustin Hermanson. I started a White Sox 2005 world series ball and only wanted the 25 man roster plus coaches. I dont think im ever going to get Hermanson.:(

pjbmd
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
alfonso soriano would fill a need for a few items for me
pjb

bigtruck260
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
although the prices for some of these players would be sky high, i would probably pony up for at least one of them.

Sandy Koufax
Mark McGwire
Carl Yastrzemski
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Ichiro Suzuki

.....and Ray Lankford (the bastard has went into hiding apparently)

just my short list.

Yo Donny -

Get a hold of me. I drive past Ray's house daily...

ironmanfan
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Anyway you could email me the details? I'd really appreciate it, I'd love to attend.

http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-108-magic-monikers-2-december-13th-14th-2008.aspx

Mr.3000
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-108-magic-monikers-2-december-13th-14th-2008.aspx

Thank you. I'm ordering my ticket tonight :D

JCC1968
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi

I had Steve Garvey sign a 1974 game used All Star baseball (orginally signed by Ed Sudol as game used for the 1974 allstar game) for me through his agent two yrs ago. Her name was Carol and she meets with Mr. Garvey alot and best of all it was free!

Jason

kylehess10
08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Mike Hampton!

I've never heard of him signing before. I still need his auto on a 2005 Braves Banner I have. I think there's about 30 sigs on it so far, but I still need Hampton, and he NEVER signs

godwulf
08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I would like to see Babe Ruth do a public signing even though I heard he died in August 16, 1948. He seems to have signed more balls since that date than before that date.

Babe's adopted daughter was at a Diamondbacks game earlier this year. They showed her on the big screen, and of course she got a nice ovation, but by the time I got down to the section she was in, she'd left. I was gonna ask her to sign a ball for me. Figure I'll never own one signed by the Babe, and that was about as close as I'd likely ever get.

Even farther off-topic, on the subject of ballpark appearances and ovations...Misty May-Trainor, fresh off the plane from Beijing, was at a game the other night (her hubby's team, the Marlins, were in town) and got a huge ovation from the 44K+ in attendance...then she reached into her bag and held up her gold medal and the crowd really went nuts. She reportedly signed autographs for folks all through the game.

godwulf
09-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Well, I saw Steve Garvey yesterday and got my photo signed. He was really very nice, and sure looks good for a guy who's gonna be 60 in a couple of months.

When Rose signed the photo, five years ago, he inscribed it "#4192". I told Steve, "Feel free to sign it just as big as Pete did", and he said, "Sure, there's room...and I think I'll put this in, too", and under his signature he wrote "#2599" - his career hit total. I thought that was a nice touch!

Nathan
09-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Let me know if Dr. Mike Marshall ever signs again. I get the feeling that many on this forum will be six feet under before that day comes.;)

FastLane80
09-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Well, I saw Steve Garvey yesterday and got my photo signed. He was really very nice, and sure looks good for a guy who's gonna be 60 in a couple of months.Ahh no! I wish I would have seen this earlier! Where in Phoenix do they do signings and how do I find out about future events? I was in San Diego this weekend but I would have made arrangements to have a ball signed. Oh well :(

godwulf
09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Jeff Thalblum, of Free Agent Sports Marketing, is behind most of the events. You can email him at jeffrich1023@msn.com to be put on his email notification list for future signings.

Most of them are done, throughout the year, at the North Phoenix Baptist Church at the intersection of Central and Bethany Home Roads, but starting this Friday Jeff is opening his "holiday" store at 20811 North Cave Creek Road (I'm gonna have to Mapquest it, myself...I think it's up past Bell, near the 101). Adam Dunn and Max Scherzer are signing there on Saturday the 27th, 11-1.

Word is Jeff's gonna have Luis Gonzalez and Eric Byrnes in November, and he told me he's working on Chris Snyder.

Jays1fan
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
If any of these guys would sign for under $20 I would love to get them to Finish my Blue Jays "SGA" Card sets:

Devon White ( Need him 2x - 2 Different Cards )
Juan Guzman ( Need him 2x - 2 Different Cards )
Shawn Green
Charlie O'brien
Cito Gaston ( Might be able to get him next year Spring Training TTM )

There are 35 others I need , but wouldnt pay that much.

suave1477
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Well my first absolute most I am dying to get is

Jorge Posada he never ever signs - maybe once or twice he will stop by Steiner to sign a couple of things but never does an actual signing.

My next 2 do signings but if I am gonna cough up the money they are asking for I want it to be in person at least shake my hand or look at me when signing my item.
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriguez

Wish I could get Roger Maris:rolleyes:

FastLane80
09-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Very simple:

Eric Karros
Brett Butler
Orel Hershiser
Mark Grace
Matt Williams
Eric Gagne
Kirk Gibson

salukidave
09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Well this one is easy Carl Everett and Dustin Hermanson. I started a White Sox 2005 world series ball and only wanted the 25 man roster plus coaches. I dont think im ever going to get Hermanson.:(

FYI...Hermanson did a signing within the last year at a Rosemont, Ill., show. He signs through the mail...Everett is a bit tougher, but he did recently do a private signing.

I'm sure both will eventually resurface at a signing in the Chicago area.

godwulf
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Very simple:

Eric Karros
Brett Butler
Orel Hershiser
Mark Grace
Matt Williams
Eric Gagne
Kirk Gibson

Ever consider buying a ticket for the "Red Head" section at one of the DBacks games? If you wouldn't mind dragging whatever you wanted signed to the game, I understand that Gracey spends a lot of time up there and you could get an auto or two for free. They'll no doubt be doing it again next season.

Gibby did a signing last year, at the store Jeff used to have at P.V. Mall, and I think he might have been at the Fan Fest in February, maybe not. Even so, he might show up for next year's, assuming he's still with the team.

I've always got new Matt Williams finds that I want to get signed, and hope he agrees to do another appearance sometime soon. Since the last time I saw Matty, I've picked up a few more bats, two jerseys he wore while managing the Mobile BayBears (after Brett Butler's stroke) and three of his personalized golf bags.

cjclong
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
The in person signing I would go almost anywhere for is Sandy Koufax. Has anyone heard anything about him lately? I was a little surprised he was not at the All Star game in New York.

markfd
09-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Bernie Williams he is virtually impossible to get to sign anything.

Mark
-------------------------
markfd@hotmail.com
Always Collecting Yankees and Nationals Game Used Items

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Well my first absolute most I am dying to get is

Jorge Posada he never ever signs - maybe once or twice he will stop by Steiner to sign a couple of things but never does an actual signing.

My next 2 do signings but if I am gonna cough up the money they are asking for I want it to be in person at least shake my hand or look at me when signing my item.
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriguez

Wish I could get Roger Maris:rolleyes:

Posada would be great to meet if he ever did a signing.

I was lucky to get Arod a few years ago here in Richmond and he was reasonably cheap. Got him to sign two commemorative All Star game bats.

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
FYI...Hermanson did a signing within the last year at a Rosemont, Ill., show. He signs through the mail...Everett is a bit tougher, but he did recently do a private signing.

I'm sure both will eventually resurface at a signing in the Chicago area.

Everett is playing minor league ball in NY. I'm sure he signs there.

Vintagedeputy
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
The in person signing I would go almost anywhere for is Sandy Koufax. Has anyone heard anything about him lately? I was a little surprised he was not at the All Star game in New York.

When I was a kid living in NJ, Koufax did a signing at a card show. I had never heard of the guy but someone told me he was a good HOF'er so I got an 8x10 signed. I think the auto cost $15 at the time. Any more and I probably wouldnt have bought a ticket.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4232/koufaxbh6.png