PDA

View Full Version : Yankees 2008 Old Timer's Day jerseys

costas
08-28-2008, 07:19 AM
since Steiner says they never received any, just wondering if these are legit because they have no provenance or other letters of authenticity. thanks

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions.asp?aucsearch=old+timer+yankee+game&AucListType=all&TitleDesc=0&period=&tfm_orderby=&tfm_order=

hblakewolf
08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Although the Gamble looks correct, I'd like to see a photo of Rivers and Bloomberg from this recent game to determine if their shirts were void of the black armband.

If memory serves correct, all players had the black armband when they took the field.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Although the Gamble looks correct, I'd like to see a photo of Rivers and Bloomberg from this recent game to determine if their shirts were void of the black armband.

If memory serves correct, all players had the black armband when they took the field.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

The following link has some great photos from the 2008 game, however, not one player's jersey is void of the black armband.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yanksoldtimersday2008-pg,0,7480735.photogallery

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
since Steiner says they never received any, just wondering if these are legit because they have no provenance or other letters of authenticity. thanks

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions.asp?aucsearch=old+timer+yankee+game&AucListType=all&TitleDesc=0&period=&tfm_orderby=&tfm_order=

If I was going to bid on these, I would contact American Memorabilia and ask how the two jerseys are void of the black armbands. Maybe they were removed? Who removes back armbands?

I did some photo searching, and I couldn't find any pictures of players without the black armband from the 2008 game.

costas
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
thanks all for the help. all the players did have black armbands in tribute of Bobby Murcer and I was also wondering why some of these don't have it. Shouldn't the sleeve show some sort of imprint had the armband been removed?

costas
08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
looks like the ones with no Bobby Murcer memorial armbands have been revised to game issued uniforms

I'm still wary of the Gamble one, here look at the screen caps from the Old Timer's Day Game and notice the location of the buttons on the jersey and how the interlocking NY differs in relation to the pinstripes from what is being auctioned. Anyone else think it's different?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4668/og1hi5.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/945/ogol6.jpg

and of course, his jersey number from the Old Timer's Day :eek:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/245/og2pa4.jpg

hblakewolf
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
How can these be labeled “game issued”? What game were these issued for? Was there another 2008 Yankees Old Timers game that I’m not aware of that outfitted the past greats in 2008 home jerseys void of the black armbands? Based on EVERY available photo, all players wore jerseys with armbands. As such, how could these be “issued” or prepared for use during this event when they are void of the band? If these had the bands, and were backups or intended to be worn for the 2008 Old Timers Game, then indeed the new description of “game issued” may be a correct description. Possibly “authentic replica” with yeartags and sleeve patches is more fitting?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 06:12 AM
so what do you all think of these jerseys, they're very strange indeed. what about the collar tagging with the name, number and year - was that something consistent with this year's Old Timer's jerseys? does anyone have a legit one to compare these to? thanks

costas
08-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Possibly “authentic replica” with yeartags and sleeve patches is more fitting?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hi Howard, why would you consider those as "authentic replica", they have year tags and 0062 wash tagging per the description - doesn't that qualify as an official game jersey designed for on field use like what current players wear? thanks

hblakewolf
08-29-2008, 07:38 AM
hi Howard, why would you consider those as "authentic replica", they have year tags and 0062 wash tagging per the description - doesn't that qualify as an official game jersey designed for on field use like what current players wear? thanks

"Game issued" is the key question. Would the Yankees actually order more than one set of jerseys for an Old Timers game? If so, why? It's not as if Reggie or Goose may rip their jersey during play, and need another. And if this was the case, and these are the backups, why no black armband? Likewise, if the backups or this second set of "game issued" jerseys was tapped into, why can't we locate a single photo of any player wearing a jersey void of the band?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 07:47 AM
those are excellent points Howard, I'm curious to know as to the source of where American Memorabilia obtained these jerseys from.

costas
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
searched around and found another one that sold on Ebay and this tagging looks the same as the others on American Memorabilia now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160272187069&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 160272187069%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

hblakewolf
08-29-2008, 08:04 AM
those are excellent points Howard, I'm curious to know as to the source of where American Memorabilia obtained these jerseys from.

I sent an email regarding these jerseys directly to Vic at AMI yesterday, however, have not heard back. I suggest you send you questions/concerns to the folks at AMI and update this thread once you hear back.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I sent an email regarding these jerseys directly to Vic at AMI yesterday, however, have not heard back. I suggest you send you questions/concerns to the folks at AMI and update this thread once you hear back.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

likewise Howard I sent a message to them but also have not heard back as of yet. Will let you all know once I do. thanks

hblakewolf
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I have a customer seeking one of these 2008 Yankees Old Timers jerseys, and he just called me with an interesting question and concern. He noted that when these were originally listed in the auction, all 3 jerseys were noted as GAME USED. Then, when it was noted that the 2 jerseys were void of the black armbands, the description at American Memorabila changed within 24 hours to read "GAME ISSUED". Although the Rivers description has been changed to "GAME ISSUED", the description of the jersey reads "Tail tagging includes: Majestic (softened), “2008” (washed out somewhat) and size." My customer asked me if I've ever seen "GAME ISSUED" jersey tagging that exhibits this type of use? Not only have I never seen this on "GAME ISSUED" jerseys, I have no idea how a shirt that is "GAME ISSUED" and was not worn in the 2008 Old Timers game could possibly have tags that are "softened" and "washed out somewhat".

Any insight from either AMI or a Forum reader is greatly appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
that's another good catch, I thought it was the lighting and angle that the 2008 tag appeared faded but it does look like the jersey has been put through some use.

I still have not head back from them and am wondering if this is because they have no plausible explanation as to why these jerseys have such issues, such as the missing armbands, wrong Gamble number and faded Rivers tagging. Does anyone here know if someone from American Memorabilia reads the postings here and can address this matter? thanks

hblakewolf
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
that's another good catch, I thought it was the lighting and angle that the 2008 tag appeared faded but it does look like the jersey has been put through some use.

I still have not head back from them and am wondering if this is because they have no plausible explanation as to why these jerseys have such issues, such as the missing armbands, wrong Gamble number and faded Rivers tagging. Does anyone here know if someone from American Memorabilia reads the postings here and can address this matter? thanks

Within a few hours of my previous post and also sending an email to AMI with the same info, the descriptions changed from GAME WORN to GAME ISSUED. I sent them a copy of my post that addresses the questions with the tagging.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm somewhat disappointed with this, as I was looking forward to bidding and possibly owning a piece of something associated with the final Old Timer's Day game at Yankee Stadium but things are just not adding up with these jerseys. Since there's no accompanying official letter of authenticity, I thought I could have some peace of mind by photo matching these to the Old Timer's Game copy I have but none of these three match anything. I'm sorry to see some have already bidded on these and think they will be owning something special.

costas
08-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Howard,

You have a keen sense for detail and I'm just curious to know what your opinion is of the Old Timer's Day jersey that sold on Ebay? If you compare the neck tagging with the player name, sizing and date, the one on Ebay appears to be much darker/thicker stitching than the ones shown on the American Memorabilia auctions. Your thoughts? thanks

hblakewolf
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Howard,

You have a keen sense for detail and I'm just curious to know what your opinion is of the Old Timer's Day jersey that sold on Ebay? If you compare the neck tagging with the player name, sizing and date, the one on Ebay appears to be much darker/thicker stitching than the ones shown on the American Memorabilia auctions. Your thoughts? thanks

The embroidery style and overall "look" on the Ebay jersey is consistant with other Majestic jerseys/pants I've seen from previous years, and pants I've seen from this year. I have not seen this "thin" style embroidery before as shown on the Rivers/AMI jersey.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
thank you Howard. Now that the Ebay one looks to be a legitimate uniform, I wish I had picked it up then but it's way overpriced. Since all game used items this year from Yankee Stadium will be coveted, I wonder why Steiner wasn't able to obtain these jerseys as they would have been able to get some good prices on them. It's worrisome to think that others might take advantage of Old Timer's Day jerseys not having Steiner provenance, grab a blank 2008 jersey and just put an armband on the left sleeve with a number and claim it was used at this event.

Not that it matters now, but here are some caps from the jerseys Blomberg and Rivers wore during Old Timer's Day with the black armband on the left sleeve. thanks

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7134/blomuv2.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6357/riversmq5.jpg

hblakewolf
09-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

For those of you asking, as of this post, I have not heard back from either Vic Moreno or Tony Giese at AMI. I sent both of them my email, seeking information on how tagging on a a "game issued" jersey could possibly show wear? :confused:

Likewise, based on my conversations with experieinced jersey collectors over the last few days, no one has ever seen a "game issued" jersey being sold or auctioned that notes this type of tagging wear.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

costas
09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
thank you for keeping us posted Howard. Likewise, my requests for further information on these jerseys have not been addressed either. At this point I guess the only thing we can do is continue to inform the public to be careful and do their research before bidding on jerseys. For me at least, I won't be purchasing any Yankees related items now without Steiner provenance. thanks

trsent
09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
For those of you asking, as of this post, I have not heard back from either Vic Moreno or Tony Giese at AMI. I sent both of them my email, seeking information on how tagging on a a "game issued" jersey could possibly show wear? :confused:

Likewise, based on my conversations with experieinced jersey collectors over the last few days, no one has ever seen a "game issued" jersey being sold or auctioned that notes this type of tagging wear.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard, what does "game issued" really mean?

To you it may mean the jersey hung in a locker, but to the seller it may mean the same style of jersey issued to be worn. There is no real definition for this term, just what we believe to be in our best interest.

Personally, something about these jersey has smelled from day one, but the issue if they are game issued, game ready, pro-cut doesn't cut it for the argument. They have changed their description not to say they were game used.

Finally, why do you pick on Tony Giese? He doesn't run the show. He is a paid member of the AMI staff and he only follows orders. You have the ability to contact Victor and Keita personally, they are the ones who call all of the shots at AMI. Tony is a really nice guy, but he is paid a flat salary and he is not a trouble maker.

From their web site, here is simple contact information:

Kieta@AmericanMemorabilia.com (kieta@americanmemorabilia.com)
Victor@AmericanMemorabilia.com (Victor@AmericanMemorabilia.com)

Auctions: 800-430-0667
Phone: 702-307-1148
Fax: 702-307-3514

costas
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
has American Memorabilia ever taken down an auction when the item being sold is called into question?

trsent
09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
has American Memorabilia ever taken down an auction when the item being sold is called into question?

Sure they have, but these jerseys have had their description changed so I doubt they will end these. I personally do not know how they originally authenticated these jerseys as game used, only once this forum started discussing the jerseys they decided they were not game used, not even close.

These jerseys are "pro-cut", "team issued", "game ready", whatever they wish to call it. They are similar to what was worn during the game they are advertised for.

I say it once, I say it every time - There is no dictionary for what these terms mean - People assume they mean what they want them to mean, but that is all these terms mean. I got so sick of reading people say the jersey had to hang in a locker room to fit one of these terms.

I posted contact information for American Memorabilia. I would recommend someone who gets along with them email them what the terms used in their description mean to them.

I do find it odd that they have ignored Howard's question how a "team issued" jersey shows game use. I have personally worn a "team issued" jersey, but that didn't show "game use". That showed "Joel use".

costas
09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I wonder why they're still calling the Gamble uniform game-used if he wore a different number in the actual Old Timer's Day game. they might as well label that as game issued like the rest.

hblakewolf
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
With 2 days remaining, I still have not received any type of response to my emails sent to Tony or Victor at AMI. Likewise, the Rivers description remains unchanged and is still offered as "game issued".

Photos on this thread and other photo sites clearly show Rivers wearing a jersey with a black armband, as opposed to the shirt being offered at the current auction void of the band.

I'd enjoy hearing a response as to how it's possible that this shirt could be labeled "game issued" and likewise, how the tags show wear on an "issued" and not "game worn" jersey???????

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
With 2 days remaining, I still have not received any type of response to my emails sent to Tony or Victor at AMI. Likewise, the Rivers description remains unchanged and is still offered as "game issued".

Photos on this thread and other photo sites clearly show Rivers wearing a jersey with a black armband, as opposed to the shirt being offered at the current auction void of the band.

I'd enjoy hearing a response as to how it's possible that this shirt could be labeled "game issued" and likewise, how the tags show wear on an "issued" and not "game worn" jersey???????

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

I posted phone numbers a few messages above, did you call them? If you are concerned, I assume your phone call will be answered. I also know Victor has a temper so he may hang up on you, but if you call and talk to Tony he is really a nice guy and would never hang up on you.

It appears you are genuinely concerned about these items, and if you are going to bid on them you should call already and ask your genuine questions. Since your emails have been avoided, for sure you shouldn't bid on them, right?

They run a full time business, so since your emails must not make it to their offices, you should call them tomorrow during business hours. I would call, but I have no desire to bid on these and Keita yelled at me and Victor threatened me last time I called them, and that was almost two years ago so I don't call them anymore.

trsent
09-18-2008, 06:27 AM
I posted phone numbers a few messages above, did you call them? If you are concerned, I assume your phone call will be answered. I also know Victor has a temper so he may hang up on you, but if you call and talk to Tony he is really a nice guy and would never hang up on you.

It appears you are genuinely concerned about these items, and if you are going to bid on them you should call already and ask your genuine questions. Since your emails have been avoided, for sure you shouldn't bid on them, right?

They run a full time business, so since your emails must not make it to their offices, you should call them tomorrow during business hours. I would call, but I have no desire to bid on these and Keita yelled at me and Victor threatened me last time I called them, and that was almost two years ago so I don't call them anymore.

Howard, I will guess you didn't call AMI over these jersey as I recommended.

I did make a call, because I was curious on your behalf. As I guessed, the term "game issued" does not mean they hung in a locker or were delivered to the team. They are issued just as a game jersey would be issued. They do not have to have all the characteristics of a game used jersey, but they are similar and tagged similarly.

What you find the definition of "game issued" to be along with what others find it to be may differ. Since you are concerned about these, I recommend not bidding on them since I do not believe you will be satisfied with the use of the term "game issued" to mean the same it means to others.

Danny899
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

If you're that cocerned about it, maybe you should just stay away and not bid on it. You said you contacted AMI and stated your concerns. Who cares if they don't get back to you? Were you expecting something different? It's not rocket science figuring out that there's a potential problem with the jerseys. The inescapable conclusion is simply not to bid on it.

jppopma
09-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Howard posted some valid points on these jerseys. This a forum and everyone is allowed to give their input. I'm pretty sure he (nor I) will be bidding on any of these jerseys...but everyone else is entitled to their own opinion and choices. I'm confused as to why Howard would be expected or want to dig deeper to solve something that is really a non issue. You read the good, and the bad, and then go back to the opinion that you already had in your head beforehand.