PDA

View Full Version : Glove Experts - OK, what did I buy?

Rob L
03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey all,

Just picked up this white leather glove. Any clue to the age? And no, their is no evidence that a web was attached.

Thanks,

Rob L

vintagesportscollector
03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Rob. OK. I was watching this auction and honestly I didn't think it was a non-web workman's glove. The seller says no evidence of a web, but the pictures are not clear, so you will need to assess that for yourself when you receive the glove. I am not a glove expert, but I am fairly knowledgeable.

A non-web workmans glove would date this to the 1880s. This does not look like an 1880s glove based on the design and features, IMO. The cloth piping, laced bottom, back strap with double button holes, lining and overall shape of fingers seem off. It is also big...a workmans glove would probably be small, not much bigger than a hand, and would be shaped more like a hand, taller fingers and more narrow.

This didn't go unnoticed, but I wouldn't trust the underbidders (I think they are far from experts and probably had doubt too). It's the "experts" that didn't bid that are conspicuously absent that further add to my doubt.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong...I think you'll have a better idea once you get it. (I hope I am wrong and you are rewarded for taking a chance :) )

-Joe

vintagesportscollector
03-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Rob- I am doing some more research, digging through photos, and I've come across some photos of non-web workmans gloves which have some similar features as this glove...specifically the backstrap and shape of fingers as this glove...so I'm thinking that it could possible this could be genuine. The gloves I've seen though have rolled piping and asbestos linings and generally look more 19th cent. Anyway, I'm probably not helping, but just wanted to let you know it's possible.

Rob L
03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi Joe,

I actually wasn't figuring this to be a non-webbed glove also, particularly because of the laced bottom. I was more interested in the white leather and was intrigued by the possibility that it might be non-webbed. I was thinking more along the lines of the 1900s, but I will check the webbing issue immediately.

Rob

Rob L
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Oops, I was mistaken regarding the lacing on the bottom of the glove. I was checking out the Smithsonian collections book last night and noticed that Gallagher has an 1890s glove that does have the same shape and lacing on the bottom of the glove.

Rob

vintagesportscollector
03-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Nice. I'm at work now but will check out the Smithsonian book when I get home. I sent Rob Mucha an email to get his opinion..figured he would know best. The more examples I see the more I think it could be 1890's...but the combination of features just seems to make it look more recent. Could it possibly be a more recent, say 1910s, hybrid glove that was made w/o a web? I don't think I have ever seen a webless from era. If it was truly made w/o a web then I think its very rare regardless of the exacy date.

Rob L
03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Joe, check out the spiral palmed glove in the Smithsonian. It is the glove that I was referring to.

I emailed the seller to let him know I sent payment and asked a few additional questions. There is apparently no obvious manufacturers mark on the button. I told him about the debate regarding the web and asked that he check the stitching tightness, seam gaps or an extra layer of leather within the seam where a web could have been cut. He indicated that the stitching is very tight and that there are no gaps in the seam or or extra leather between the seams. This is intriguing!!

Rob L

mjkm90
03-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Rob. I love a good glove mystery :D . It looks like a c.1910 glove based on the size of the thumb, width of the strap, width of the heal and heal lacing. I've seen laced heal gloves from the 1890 time frame, but they looked more workman like. It is a very nice looking glove in great shape. It could be a transition glove also.

vintagesportscollector
03-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Rob- I'd agree with Mike that it looks 1910s for the same reasons he described, but there are many exceptions/variations out there especially if this is some sort of hybrid/transtion glove. I looked at the spiral glove in the Smith book and it's hard to use that as a comparison,IMO. Who am I to question Gallacher(or Wong) but I'd question if that was really an 1890s glove without seeing an example in some catalog from that period.

Still continues to be a nice mystery...we need to dig up a catalog from 1890 - 1910 that shows some exampe of this type of glove. All I have are the old Spalding's online which don't show anything like this that is webless.

Rob L
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Hey guys, I would think this sounds right, I just can't get pass the webless thing that late. As far as the Galagher glove was concerned, I was only refering to the bottom lacing and the overall shape of the thumb and fingers. Of course, that is assuming that his glove is an 1890s glove. The webbing on it would seem to date it later, but I'm no expert. I also sent this thread to Rob M. and Jim D. to see what their thoughts were. Should be interesting.

Rob L

Rob L
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey guys,

Jim Daniels just emailed me back and it looks like we are barking up the wrong tree. Jim has an amazing glove collection and memorabilia collection and luckly doesn't live more than 5 miles from my house. Here is his response:

"In regard to that glove, it's cool but it is definitely not 1880's or 90's. I'm so sorry to say that it's a youth glove probably from the teens or possibly even the 20's. I have never seen a webless glove with cloth piping or a laced heel. I have a couple webless gloves and have a lot of pictures of them and they are literally just hands, straight up and down. The suede type interior as opposed to asbestos/wool, indicates that it probably once had a lining and could possibly mean it was made of cowhide and not horsehide. Pre-turn of the century gloves weren't made of cowhide as far as I know. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I want you take what the others posters say with a grain of salt. Bring it over when you get a chance and I'll try to prove myself wrong. I hope I am but the pictures are indicative of a youth glove possibly from the 20's. I have a few of those as well I can show you. I also have some early catalogue pictures I can show you."

Oh well, the mystery was fun for a while!!:)

Rob L

vintagesportscollector
03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Makes sense. Mucha had the same response in an email he just sent me....

...but unless I am missing something Jim just agreed with everything that I (and Mike) had posted about this glove already: cloth piping, laced heel, lining, shape not being just like a hand are the exact points(almost word for word) I brought up in my posts already...these are all the things we already cited. Jim makes it seem like we were tryng to convince you this was a 19th century glove and he is setting the record straight.

Anyway....Jim's a great guy...just wanted to set the record straight :) .

The key point is none of us have seen a webless glove that looks like this. SO...If the was truly made w/o a web..what do you have? Wouldn't that mean you have something that has never been idenitfied before? To me that's still a mystery, no??

Rob L
03-15-2006, 07:38 PM
I agree Joe, the webless thing still bothers me. I will take it over to Jim when it arrives. Rob is in my area also so I can probably have him look at it to. I want to see what Jim has regarding ads but I can't imagine they would be webless. We'll see....

Rob L

ebbets55
03-22-2006, 10:37 PM
HI All,

Just read the threads. I'm sorry if it sounded like I quoted someone. I didn't read any of the posts when I replied to Rob L's e-mail. I just responded to his e-mail without even being a member of this forum yet. Now that I'm a member and have read the posts, it looks like we all have the same thoughts. Didn't mean to suggest that anyone told him bad info.

I have various Peck & Snyder, Sears and Rawlings catalogues and books from that era (1890's to early 1900's or so) and this doesn't look like anything in them. I also have a couple of webless gloves and they don't look like the same style at all. It resembles, in my opinion, a glove from much later. Rob, bring it by when you get a chance. I sure hope I'm wrong as I would love to see you with a true webless.

JD

Rob L
03-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Welcome Jim. It's great to have a glove expert among the group now. Please feel free to share your knowledge on the board as much as you can. I expect the glove in a week or so (paid with a personal check) but I will bring it over to you when it arrives.

Take care,

Rob L

vintagesportscollector
03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Jim. Welcome aboard. We haven't corresponded in a while, but it's great to have you join the forum.

Feel free to share pictures of your glove room and wonderful cabinet...I'm sure others would love to see them.

-Joe
http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

ebbets55
03-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Joe,

I didn't know that was you. I took another look at your collection. Wow! That was fun to see again. I would love to share some pictures but I haven't moved into the 21st century yet. Maybe Rob or Rob can help me post some pictures. Nice to hear from you.

Let me know if anyone comes across any hard to find glove oils or conditioners.

Rob L - can't wait to see that glove. I can fax or PDF anyone some of those old catalogue and book pages if they want them.

JD

Rob L
03-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey all,

The glove arrived today. Like we all ultimately figured in the end, it was a bust. Definitely a webbed glove with the webbing removed. Oh well, it was a fun gamble :)

Rob L

mjkm90
03-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry about that Rob. We've all been there buddy. I paid $100 for a reproduction cabinet photo several years ago. Say, what did you pay for it anyway?

Rob L
03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
The cost wasn't a killer, i think $156.00. It's livable and I won't feel to bad about trashing it.

Rob L

slidekellyslide
03-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Rob, sorry to hear it...the guy you bought it from seems to be putting some really nice vintage baseball items on and seems rather knowledgeable about these items...did he not guarantee the glove? I'm wondering if this isn't the guy who set up at the local antique show last year as some of the stuff he's putting up looks familiar...I've been hoping that he would come back, but I haven't seen him the last three times the show has taken place.

Rob L
03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Rob, sorry to hear it...the guy you bought it from seems to be putting some really nice vintage baseball items on and seems rather knowledgeable about these items...did he not guarantee the glove? I'm wondering if this isn't the guy who set up at the local antique show last year as some of the stuff he's putting up looks familiar...I've been hoping that he would come back, but I haven't seen him the last three times the show has taken place.

Hey Dan,

Nah, he indicated that he hadn't had a glove like this before and wouldn't state for sure that it was a workman. It's too bad though because it was obvious when I saw it that it had a web. Oh well, live and learn!!

Rob L

mjkm90
03-30-2006, 07:08 AM
It wouldn't hurt to ask for a refund since he stated in his reply to you that he could see no traces of a web having been there. Send him a nice letter and mention you discussed it with other experts and buyers who may consider buying more of his items if they believe he is an honest seller.