PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Lots Removed- Announcement

Eric
08-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Got this in the email box. They promoted the current auction, then added this

We would like to thank the well intentioned collectors who have made some cogent observations that we have taken to heart. For your protection, the following lots have been removed from our auction: Lot 22, a 1988-1989 Joe Dumars Detroit Pistons Game-Used Home Jersey, Lot 56 a 1988-1989 Dennis Rodman Detroit Pistons Game-Used Road Jersey, a 2004 Detroit Pistons World Championship Ring, a 1996 Michael Jordan All-Star Game Game-Used & Autographed Uniform, a pair of 1996 Michael Jordan All-Star Game Used & Autographed Sneakers and lot 159 a Circa 1983 Patrick Ewing Georgetown University Game-Used Home Jersey. Some of these lots may appear in a future Grey Flannel auction but for the time being, require further research and time.
Additionally, the following lot descriptions have been changed on our web site since our catalog has been published and therefore the descriptions differ. These are lots 78, 126 and 143. If you have any questions, please contact T.J. at 631-288-7800 x221.

Moustache Gang
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Eric,

I really applaud GF for trying to get things right and hopefully they will do a bit more research before they go to print on their future auction catalogs. I know they have been put to task or questioned on the GUF for trying to auction off suspect items and many times rightfully so.

Secondly, I applaud the GUF members for taking a professional tact and sending GF a note or calling them and describing the inconsistency before taking it out on them on this board.

The GUF and many of its members are truly trying to change our hobby in a positive manner.

Mark

costas
08-25-2008, 10:18 AM
thank you

what usually happens to these items in question that are taken down? are they destroyed, sold elsewhere?

trsent
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
thank you

what usually happens to these items in question that are taken down? are they destroyed, sold elsewhere?

I'd assume by law they are returned to the consignors and then we never know what happens!

costas
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd assume by law they are returned to the consignors and then we never know what happens!

have there been instances in the past where an item on a Grey Flannel auction was removed only to appear later on somewhere else like Ebay or another auction house?

both-teams-played-hard
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Forum members, please send resumes' to:
1000 West Columbus Ave Springfield, MA 01105

trsent
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Forum members, please send resumes' to:
1000 West Columbus Ave Springfield, MA 01105

Are you hiring? I am looking for full time work taking photos and making them look funny!

lund6771
08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I highly doubt that Rick Ruzzek is "thankful" that these lots were brought to his attention....

Regardless of how he feels, the bottom line is that some very questionable pieces were puled and true collectors were saved from spending thousands of dollars on a piece of favric worth as much as the t-shirt in my closet

both-teams-played-hard
08-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Are you hiring? I am looking for full time work taking photos and making them look funny!

Joel
That's the address for the hall-of-fame in Springfield. They could use authenticators from this forum. I didn't know you dabbled in photo-shop. Please post your creations!

trsent
08-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I highly doubt that Rick Ruzzek is "thankful" that these lots were brought to his attention....

Regardless of how he feels, the bottom line is that some very questionable pieces were puled and true collectors were saved from spending thousands of dollars on a piece of favric worth as much as the t-shirt in my closet

I think Mr. Ruzzek will sleep well now knowing his customers will not be buying items that are questionable.

Joel
That's the address for the hall-of-fame in Springfield. They could use authenticators from this forum. I didn't know you dabbled in photo-shop. Please post your creations!

Oops, I figure that was your address. I am not very good with photo-shop. Do you offer lessons?

otismalibu
08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I think Mr. Ruzzek will sleep well now knowing his customers will not be buying items that are questionable.

I think if he really cared, he'd have a staff of people that know how to research an item prior to offering it in one of their auctions. But that would take. And time is money. This is a much cheaper alternative. Lurk & learn.

metsbats
08-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Got this in the email box. They promoted the current auction, then added this

We would like to thank the well intentioned collectors who have made some cogent observations that we have taken to heart. For your protection, the following lots have been removed from our auction: Lot 22, a 1988-1989 Joe Dumars Detroit Pistons Game-Used Home Jersey, Lot 56 a 1988-1989 Dennis Rodman Detroit Pistons Game-Used Road Jersey, a 2004 Detroit Pistons World Championship Ring, a 1996 Michael Jordan All-Star Game Game-Used & Autographed Uniform, a pair of 1996 Michael Jordan All-Star Game Used & Autographed Sneakers and lot 159 a Circa 1983 Patrick Ewing Georgetown University Game-Used Home Jersey. Some of these lots may appear in a future Grey Flannel auction but for the time being, require further research and time.

Additionally, the following lot descriptions have been changed on our web site since our catalog has been published and therefore the descriptions differ. These are lots 78, 126 and 143. If you have any questions, please contact T.J. at 631-288-7800 x221.

This is great that they took these 6 items off the auction block. In my opinion though it was the sheer number of items and the fact that the Basketball HOF was involved that these items got removed.

I questioned a item in the last auction as folks may remember (a Mike Piazza GU jersey) and did not receive a courtesy of response from GFA. This was truly disappointing as I was a past consignor and a bidder in many of their previous auctions. The item eventually sold.

David

lund6771
08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
This is great that they took these 6 items off the auction block. In my opinion though it was the sheer number of items and the fact that the Basketball HOF was involved that these items got removed.

I questioned a item in the last auction as folks may remember (a Mike Piazza GU jersey) and did not receive a courtesy of response from GFA. This was truly disappointing as I was a past consignor and a bidder in many of their previous auctions. The item eventually sold.

David

In My opinion it's not only that the HOF is involved, but also that the FBI is now involved in the hobby....

It is very sad that they did not pull the Piazza David....

In fact there is a Forum member who just had a horrific transaction with them that just makes a guy shake his head and think "GREED"!!!!!

That's why I don't believe the "thankfull" bit not even one bit!!!!

jdr3
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
The only reason GFC all of a sudden has a conscience is the FBI was at the national.

costas
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
sad to think how many collectors spent their hard earned money and have something not genuine in their possession

BULBUS
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
sad to think how many collectors spent their hard earned money and have something not genuine in their possession

Happens a lot more than you think :(

metsbats
08-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Excellent point Lund. Hopefully with the FBI closing in on these large auction houses we'll see more responsiveness to questionable items like the one on this thread.

-David

costas
08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
they've just listed a lot of items on Ebay