PDA

View Full Version : Jersey?

yanks12025
08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I posted this on the network54 board but thought maybe someone here would know something about it. It's at a local auction and was wondering if it has any value. I remember seeing this patch somewhere but cant remember where, it kinda looks like a football jersey or it could be a baseball jersey. Does anyone know anything about this. Thanks

yanks12025
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Anyone?

David
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
There were annual college football All-Star games, including in 1938. A start would to look for old pictures of their jerseys to see what they looked like. The football jerseys would have to have a number somewhere on them. I've seen numberless Olympic and All-American sweaters (with similar style patch on front), but these were clearly sweaters (probably wool) not jerseys. I'm not aware that numberless, anymous jerseys were ever given out to All-Americans, Pro Bowlers or College All-Stars as commorative items. The jersey picture isn't baseball and obviously isn't basketball.

yanks12025
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
The number 19 is on the back.

David
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
I should not that I can't see the back of the jersey, so I don't know whether or not the back has a jersey.

One last point, most of the vintage College All-Star, All-American and Olympic sweaters and uniforms I've seen came directly from the athlete or his family. I have seen maybe a couple that had anonymous sources, but the majority had family provenance. College All-American and All-Star Game jerseys and Olympic sweaters were really items a player would proudly keep all his life and pass on to his son, daughter and grandkid. Even in the 1920s-30s, such an item would have been kept as a special family heirloom.

David
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
All I can tell you is that I did a quick search, and the only example of a College All-Star game jersey I found was from 1941, and it was in a different style than yours. It didn't have the patch on front and had a stars pattern on the shoulders.

David
08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
In the end, if it's genuine it may be a local junior high All-Stars jersey.

yanks12025
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
David,
I found this photo, it looks alot alike. Maybe the ones their wearing in the photo is alike a sweatshirt or pre-game because it dont have the stripes on the sleeves.