PDA

View Full Version : What would yo do?

jetersbatboy
08-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I just sold a Jeter auto bat on eBay, and immediately sent out a invoice.
I received a email reply stating he would not be able to pay until the end of the month. I replied, stating my auction terms stated item needed to be payed within 24 hours, and I would leave a NEG. if not done so. Buyer replied he would be willing to pay any fees associated with the auction, rather then getting a NEG. and was very sorry for this situation. Tell you the truth I hoped to get more for the bat then I did. What would you Do?
Thanks Scott

mariner_gamers
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Report it to eBay and repost it. He clearly violated the terms of your auction. We are not talking about a Russ Davis bat....I own 4 if someone takes exception to my example...we are talking high end, it will sell tomorrow, I want my money so I can buy something else Derek Jeter.....

Just my dollar 58 bro!

Davis

skyking26
08-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I second that - he knew the terms and knew he could not pay within 24 hours... Give a negative and resell it.

ndevlin
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Well you do have up until 30 days to report someone. So if you do decide to wait on payment and he never ends up paying it like he says, you still have time to report him.

BergerKing22784
08-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Not to mention you can not leave him a negative feedback on ebay anymore anyway. He can honestly delay the process enough to where he can make it to the end of the month to pay you. Its hard to say someone hasnt paid when ebay makes u wait so many days before you can report an item as unpaid.

mariner_gamers
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM
This is not about feedback. Supposedly eBay has ditched seller reprercussions (feedback) and ramped up "buyer you did abide by the auction rules." I have used eBay's new rules and in the end I came out on top. If the auction was Paypal(eBay) required and they did not pay according to rules you win every time..... If not, your next auction will be Paypal required. Yes, I understand the game and the rules eBay has set for selling items on THEIR forum. You play you pay, but if you play by their rules eventually you come out on top. If you stated strict rules in your auction relist and take the possible negative feedback. Ebay will address this although it may take many emails.

Good luck bro!
Davis

frikativ54
08-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I have bought and sold high dollar items on eBay, and this experience is not unusual. Payment in 24 hrs? Give me a break! That is quite unreasonable. People have got lives; not everyone can sit by eBay all day and watch the minutes tick off of the clock. My advice to you is RELAX! A week is not an eternity. Give the guy a break; he has already offered to pay you the fees.

kudu
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Actually you can get your fees back. If the buyer agrees to not go through with the transaction, on the 8th day after the auction, you can go to the "report unpaid item" link, which will be near the top of the actual auction page for the Jeter bat, under "Additional Options". Follow the instructions and go from there. Once your done with that, this will be logged in your "Dispute Console" which is on the left side of your My Ebay page. After the Dispute has lasted 7 days, then you can close it out and Ebay will refund your listing fees. So basically you would get the fees back approx 14 days after the auction ended. Plus, the buyer will get a "strike" against them, and I think if they get more than a couple "strikes" within a short period of time, Ebay kicks them off.

This is why Ebay is going to hell in a handbasket, buyers can do whatever they want and sellers get to suffer.

frikativ54
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
This is why Ebay is going to hell in a handbasket, buyers can do whatever they want and sellers get to suffer.

I actually disagree. The worst thing for the eBay community was the potential for retaliatory negatives as a buyer. With the feedback the way it is now, buyers can actually be honest, making eBay a great venue.

mariner_gamers
08-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I have bought and sold high dollar items on eBay, and this experience is not unusual. Payment in 24 hrs? Give me a break! That is quite unreasonable. People have got lives; not everyone can sit by eBay all day and watch the minutes tick off of the clock. My advice to you is RELAX! A week is not an eternity. Give the guy a break; he has already offered to pay you the fees.

Frik can I pose this to you...... What if you found a Jeff Bagwell game used auto'd????? You had no idea this item existed. The price is out of your range UNLESS you sell 1 or more of your current cherished items. Dude who has said Bagwell item says "Bro I need the cash in 2 days or I am going to sell it to John Doe." So you post your cherished items on a forum with specific rules. You would never part with said items except for the fact this other Bagwell item is off the hook. You list your items with SPECIFIC rules and then....."well I won but can I pay you in 10 days?"....... So from what I read you would be more than happy to lose your charished Bagwell items AND the item you sold them for because the guy who used Buy It Now on your auction has personal issues...... I am not trying to be nasty I am trying to put you in the shoes of the seller. You never know what people are sacrificing when they sell items. Perhaps they have strict rules because they are chasing their dream.

kudu
08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I actually disagree. The worst thing for the eBay community was the potential for retaliatory negatives as a buyer. With the feedback the way it is now, buyers can actually be honest, making eBay a great venue.

Honest? I dont know about that because buyers can be scammers too. It wont be such a great venue when all the sellers leave because of all the changes being made that dont favor them one bit.

jetersbatboy
08-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Guys I choose to do a mutual cancelation of transaction. Rather then go through all the hassles of a full dispute claim. It was less then what I was hoping to sell the bat for and the buyer explained to me that he did not know I expected payment within 24 hours.
With that said anyone wanna buy a Jeter:D :D

jetersbatboy
08-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Davis you hit the nail on the head. I am trying to sell it, to add to my collection.

trsent
08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
You can file a Mutual Agreement Dispute immediately as this does not take eight days. It only takes eight days if it is a non-payment offense. if he agrees not to take the item on your terms. This way you get your fees back and he is out of luck. The problem is if he states that he still wants the item, you are out of luck and have to wait for your payment or risk negative feedback.

I am not happy with the new feedback policy. I have had abusive buyers threatening to leave negative feedback for silly reasons now that I never ran into before. They know they have me by the balls so I have to make them happy or suffer - I believe them to be abusing the system and they know they can now.

frikativ54
08-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Frik can I pose this to you...... What if you found a Jeff Bagwell game used auto'd????? You had no idea this item existed. The price is out of your range UNLESS you sell 1 or more of your current cherished items. Dude who has said Bagwell item says "Bro I need the cash in 2 days or I am going to sell it to John Doe." So you post your cherished items on a forum with specific rules. You would never part with said items except for the fact this other Bagwell item is off the hook. You list your items with SPECIFIC rules and then....."well I won but can I pay you in 10 days?"....... So from what I read you would be more than happy to lose your charished Bagwell items AND the item you sold them for because the guy who used Buy It Now on your auction has personal issues...... I am not trying to be nasty I am trying to put you in the shoes of the seller. You never know what people are sacrificing when they sell items. Perhaps they have strict rules because they are chasing their dream.

Good point! I stand corrected. If the policy was clearly stated as payment within 24 hours, then you are right on this one.

frikativ54
08-24-2008, 01:40 AM
I am not happy with the new feedback policy. I have had abusive buyers threatening to leave negative feedback for silly reasons now that I never ran into before. They know they have me by the balls so I have to make them happy or suffer - I believe them to be abusing the system and they know they can now.

Just curious - can you give some examples of the threats? The only problem I have had with the new system is that people don't pay me as quickly. No threats from buyers.

costas
08-24-2008, 06:06 AM
which auction was this, could you post the link? thanks

jetersbatboy
08-24-2008, 11:07 AM
It's a eBay auction, item #290255487942
Thanks Scott
jetersbatboy@hawaiiantel.net

costas
08-24-2008, 11:17 AM
It's a eBay auction, item #290255487942
Thanks Scott

thank you Scott, it's a wonderful piece - hope all works out with you the the buyer

jetersbatboy
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
so far so good, I have re-listed the bat, and the buyer agreed to not to go through with the transaction. Now I just have to sell this bat, before what I want gets away.
Thanks Scott

trsent
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Just curious - can you give some examples of the threats? The only problem I have had with the new system is that people don't pay me as quickly. No threats from buyers.

Here is one that is simple, and I took care of the customer, but an example:

"Annual #10 is in terrible condition. I will be giving you a Poor rating tomorrow."

Now, he didn't say your book was in terrible condition, I have left you negative feedback, he said tomorrow he will give me a poor rating. Odd, why wait a day if you can email me about this? He knew what he was doing, he was trying to get money back from me.

I have others, but I also have 16,602 deleted emails from this year so it is too hard to find.

costas
08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
were you able to sell this in time before the other item you wanted ended?

BULBUS
08-25-2008, 09:57 AM
IMO, you are doing the right thing now, setting a price you would like to get, and accepting offers. I never use auction style when selling something that is not rare or unusual, you never get what you would like for the item. Plus, people perfer a but it now choice.

-Chris

jetersbatboy
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I did get a offer that I sold it for, but it is no where near what I paid. The bat that I wanted is a Jeter that was on ebay. It was the first style of maple bats to come out and a steiner. I know most of you will think I am nuts for selling auto Jeter to get this bat. But it is one of the more rare bats you will find of Jeter. Seeing as that label styling was only available for a very short period. If I had to guess I would say maybe 6-12 where made. I will have to ask BHM to verify. Being a Steiner bat witch puts it in Jeters hands, rarity of the bat and the fact there is a crack, so it shows why he stoped using it. That is why I bought this bat.
Thanks for opinions guys
Scott