PDA

View Full Version : Who can read the clocks inside of batting helmets?

chicagoglen
08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
I recently purchased a helmet on ebay of Toby Hall. The price was very reasonable and the dealer very well respected. I noticed that in my attempt to photo match the helmet Toby always wears the cool flo style helmet not the standard version. So I was wondering if this is infact a older helmet of say Brian Anderson or Aaron Rowand? Either way I don't really care but I would love to be able to know what year the helmet was made?

The clock has the arrow pointed up at the 12 and there is a 9 on the left side of the arrow and a 5 on the right side of the arrow.

What does this mean? Is it even older than thought of from 95?

Thanks,

Glen

momen55
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
manufacture date of 12/95; december of 95. the numbers around refer to the month. the 2 numbers inside the wheel refer to the year.

chicagoglen
08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Is it possible for a helmet to sit around for 12 years in a clubhouse? It was sold by a reputable dealer as a 2007 Helmet.

chicagoglen
08-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I looked on baseball almanac and the #44 was used by only pitchers from 1995 to 2000 where in 2001 it went to Rowand.

I received the helmet from BPH and I know Kim gets his stuff right from the Sox so this situation seems weird.

What are your all thoughts on this?

momen55
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
doubt it. since being with the sox, he has used the cool flo helmet, at least in all the pics i have seen. it is possible that someone else wore it.

skipcarayislegend
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Is it possible for a helmet to sit around for 12 years in a clubhouse?

Yes. I think it happens more often than you would think. The Sox haven't changed helmet logos during that time so it's entirely possible that yours just got stuck in the back of a helmet cabinet or the bottom of a box, etc. As recently as a year or two ago, I've seen "game used" helmets that were made in the 1980s being sold in the Braves clubhouse store here in Atlanta. I've also owned ones that were made as many as 7-8 years before they were actually issued.