PDA

View Full Version : Arod and Yankees not playoff bound

richpick
08-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I have always cheered against the New York Yankees. Yes, I am from the West Coast and I do like many East Coast teams, just not the Yanks. In fact I even like many of the players on the Yanks. How can you not like Jeter, Posada, B. Williams, Mattingly, etc. Ever since I was a kid though I disliked the Yanks they always tried to buy championships by throwing high priced players together. And what Reggie did in the World Series......horrible (I am referring to when he stuck his hip out). It is funny I really don't care for Arod either. So for me a great year is when the Dodgers win a World Series but a good year also is when Arod and the Yankees don't make the playoffs.

Richpick

yanks12025
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
The season is not over yet. They are only 5 1/2 games behind the red sox's in the wildcard and we still have 36 games left and 6 against the red soxs. And i dont see L.A. making the playoffs.

markize
08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I have always cheered against the New York Yankees. Yes, I am from the West Coast and I do like many East Coast teams, just not the Yanks. In fact I even like many of the players on the Yanks. How can you not like Jeter, Posada, B. Williams, Mattingly, etc. Ever since I was a kid though I disliked the Yanks they always tried to buy championships by throwing high priced players together. And what Reggie did in the World Series......horrible (I am referring to when he stuck his hip out). It is funny I really don't care for Arod either. So for me a great year is when the Dodgers win a World Series but a good year also is when Arod and the Yankees don't make the playoffs.

Richpick

people always hate you when you are on top.....26 world championships baby!!!

3arod13
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Well said! However, you know what's coming from many..."what have you done for me lately."

5 1/2 out for the wildcard. I say they'll creep in and make it.

Fnazxc0114
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
hopefully my rangers will take a cue from the dbacks and learn how to build from within. its the only way we can get pitching because no pither in their right mind would come play in our park on purpose. the yanks will be dangerous this offseason with 80 worth of payroll leaving the books. any chance they sign sheets/sabathia and tex all in one off season?

richpick
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM

When I hear this from Yankee fans I think...On the top of what? All-time World Championships.... Is that even fair when the Yankees have been around for as long as they have. It is a REAL WEAK argument and just shows how myopic Yankee fans are. Trust me I will take 75-85 degrees all year round and Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Lakers, Kings, and Ducks then the weather in New York. Oh and have you seen the women in California! It just sounds like Yankee fans trying to make-up for the awful current run of the Spankees (At least that is what the Angels call them when they play them, they own them).

Richpick

platinum1
08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
hopefully my rangers will take a cue from the dbacks and learn how to build from within. its the only way we can get pitching because no pither in their right mind would come play in our park on purpose. the yanks will be dangerous this offseason with 80 worth of payroll leaving the books. any chance they sign sheets/sabathia and tex all in one off season?
Maybe if the Rangers didnt trade Chris Young, John Danks & Edison Volquez the Rangers would of been set for a couple of years

stkmtimo
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
When I hear this from Yankee fans I think...On the top of what? All-time World Championships.... Is that even fair when the Yankees have been around for as long as they have. It is a REAL WEAK argument and just shows how myopic Yankee fans are. Trust me I will take 75-85 degrees all year round and Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Lakers, Kings, and Ducks then the weather in New York. Oh and have you seen the women in California! It just sounds like Yankee fans trying to make-up for the awful current run of the Spankees (At least that is what the Angels call them when they play them, they own them).

Richpick

I'm a diehard Yankees fan and I would agree with you if other teams even came close to putting up the number of championships the Yankees. Not only that, but they have won 39 AL Pennants and the team has had 19 players go into the HOF as a Yankees (Catfish Hunter has no cap in his plaque). When most common people think of baseball legends they think of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. The Yankees remain the gold standard when it comes to organizational excellence in baseball and American sports in general.

Tim

yanks12025
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Is that even fair when the Yankees have been around for as long as they have.

Theres other teams that have been around longer than the yankees(reds,cubs,red soxs) and they nothing close to the yankees(there maybe be some more teams).

cjclong
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
OK Richpick, you say its unfair to list total World Series wins because the Yankees have been around so long. How many World Series have ALL the California teams won total in the last 20 years compared to the Yankees alone?

costas
08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
injuries have ruined this season. it's just disappointing the final year at Yankee Stadium will be quiet come October

JETEFAN
08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
injuries have ruined this season. it's just disappointing the final year at Yankee Stadium will be quiet come October

Even with the injuries, the Yanks have still had a good enough team to win. Coaching has been pathetic!! Coaching needs to motivate, make adjustments, correct mechanics etc, totally non existant this year.

George

costas
08-22-2008, 08:13 AM
first offseason move should be firing the hitting instructor

yanks12025
08-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I would say get rid of Joe Girardi first, he has not showning anything this year. I would think after the 5th game mariano lost when he was brought in when it was a tie game that he would learn, but no he brings him in more games and they lose.

stkmtimo
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
first offseason move should be firing the hitting instructor

Kevin Long likely has done a decent job but it's hard when your players don't listen. I've heard rumors that both Cano and Cabrera are notorious for this but who knows? Brett Gardner's swing needs adjustment, too.

Tim

3arod13
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
If Arod doesn't pick it up, the Yankees have less than a good chance. He's not comig through lately. Just hit into a double play with 2 men on base. Not sure where his bat is lately.

bigtime59
08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
The Yankees remain the gold standard when it comes to organizational excellence in baseball and American sports in general.
Tim

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with the Yankee$.
Yes, having more gold than anyone else has allowed them to set the $tandard...although how you can have a $200MM payroll and the spectral remains of Johnny Damon patroling center field for you is beyond me.
Oh, that's right...defense is...overrated!
Still MLB's best argument for NFL-style revenue sharing, and they haven't even opened the New Yankee $tadium printing presses yet!
Hope they rot in hell under Hamfisted Hank.

metsbats
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
New York Yankee Payroll. 218 Million dollars

Tampa Bay Rays payroll. 43 Million dollars

The prospect of Derek Jeter playing golf in October while Scott Kamzir tosses the first pitch in game one of the 2009 WS. Priceless.

David
08-22-2008, 10:12 PM
A few years ago when there were the regular complaints about Steinbrenner's monstrous payrole and its unfairness, a sportswriter wrote that, unlike some owners, at least Steinbrenner was trying to win. I'm no Yankees fan, but I acknowledge that their focus is on winning.

metsbats
08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I"m in Cape Cod MA right now and just finished watching the game on NESN.

It was a pleasure to root for the Sox and watch the Yankees lose to them in New England.

I have two more days here and hope I don't get mistaken for a Yankee fan from NY and killed :D . Glad I'm wearing my Mets cap.

David

eisenreich8
08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
As many championships as the Yankees have won over the decades, they lack any charisma and they are completely uninspiring to watch. This is, after all, entertainment, but it's not entertaining. The Sox are ugly ducklings (Youk, Pedroia, etc.) but they are FUN to watch with their hustle and connection with the fans. Strictly my opinion, but the only time I enjoy tuning in to the Yanks is when they are getting stomped, like they did tonight.

bigtime59
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
As many championships as the Yankees have won over the decades, they lack any charisma and they are completely uninspiring to watch. This is, after all, entertainment, but it's not entertaining. The Sox are ugly ducklings (Youk, Pedroia, etc.) but they are FUN to watch with their hustle and connection with the fans. Strictly my opinion, but the only time I enjoy tuning in to the Yanks is when they are getting stomped, like they did tonight.

The fact that some of the $ox players are kind of scruffy looking should not be allowed to conceal the fact that the Red $ox have looked into the abyss, and discovered they liked it...they have become a (slightly) less expensive version of that which they once hated.
The only thing separating those two teams now is that the Yankee$ uniforms are uglier, and that the pink-hat bandwagoneers are now all suddenly "lifelong Red $ox fans".
A pox on both their houses.

bigtime59
08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh, and four hours a night of Yankee$ batters looking back to instruct the umpire on what is and isn't a strike isn't FUN? What's wrong with you people? That's Yankee$ effin' baseball, man!

yanks12025
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I bet the Rays will be a under 500 team next year. They just got lucky this year, next year they will be right were they belong in second to last place. Also Scott kazmir will not be throwing out the first pitch in the world series, it will be John Lackey vs. the cubs. And the cubs wont win still.

camarokids
08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I bet the Rays will be a under 500 team next year. They just got lucky this year, next year they will be right where they belong in second to last place. Also Scott kazmir will not be throwing out the first pitch in the world series, it will be John Lackey vs. the cubs. And the cubs wont win still.

I hope you are right except I would like to see the Cubbies win it all! and I am a Devil Rays collector.

I liked the Devil Rays better when they were losers and they had the DEVIL in their name. So sick of all the political correct crap!

They have yet to have a really bad losing streak, when is it going to happen???

3arod13
08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I really wanted to see the Yankees win the World Series in their final season at Yankee Stadium. What a nice ending that would be!

trsent
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I really wanted to see the Yankees win the World Series in their final season at Yankee Stadium. What a nice ending that would be!

Have they not won over 25% of the total World Series series ever?

I am happy my White Sox won one in my lifetime, and Yankee fans just are greedy. I understand, winning is addictive, but every year they find a reason to complain.

This season they just have poor pitching and bad timing.

Dewey2007
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
While the Yankees are still better then most teams I feel their time as serious WS contenders is done for the time being. That loss to the D-Backs in 2001 essentially guaranteed that. Just like the Patriots loss last season guaranteed we won't see them win any SB's anytime soon. Tough losses like these take away that aura of invincibility these teams had and bring them back to earth. Plus this stuff all runs in cycles anyway.

These days dominant teams usually only have a run of 3-4 years winning championships before they fall back to the pack (see: NY Yankees, LA Lakers, NE Patriots, Dallas Cowboys)

yanks12025
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Yanks are going to have a whole new team next year. And if the yankees want to win they should sign me to be the manager for next year.

3arod13
08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Have they not won over 25% of the total World Series series ever?

I am happy my White Sox won one in my lifetime, and Yankee fans just are greedy. I understand, winning is addictive, but every year they find a reason to complain.

This season they just have poor pitching and bad timing.

Not sure why you responded this way off my post.

I simply stated, "I really wanted to see the Yankees win the World Series in their final season at Yankee Stadium. What a nice ending that would be!"

It would be a nice ending to the final season. Heck, even another team was in the same situation, it would be a nice ending.

trsent
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Not sure why you responded this way off my post.

I simply stated, "I really wanted to see the Yankees win the World Series in their final season at Yankee Stadium. What a nice ending that would be!"

It would be a nice ending to the final season. Heck, even another team was in the same situation, it would be a nice ending.

Oh sorry, I was just making the point that fans of other teams are tired of hearing Yankee fans always hoping to win another season, no matter what the situation is with a stadium, a player retiring, a manager being hired/fired for no reason, a player being traded, etc. when they have won an absurd number of World Series in history while some of us are happy to have one win in our lifetime.