PDA

View Full Version : ripken not signing game used items?

cjclong
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
In my March 17 issue of Sports Collector Digest on page 28 there was an ad for the New England Sports Spectacular Show for Martch 28. The ad said Cal Ripken, Jr was scheduled there and gave the prices for signing various items. The last entry said "Cal Ripken will not sign game used items." I wondered if anyone knew if this was a new policy of his or unique to the the show. I knew on his book tours he would only sign books, but this was not a book tour and there were prices for his autographing balls, pictures, etc. If anyone know about this I would be interested as I have game used bat of his I had hoped to have autographed in the future.

suave1477
03-13-2006, 09:40 AM
well i just looked at the site of the show it doesnt say that anywhere. I also know Cal Ripken Jr. is a really nice guy i dont think he has a problem with signing a game used jersey. I jusy highly doubt he will put game used as an inscription.

seven4five20
03-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Could you please post a link to the website? I have been trying to look for it. Thanks

JETEFAN
03-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I HAVE SIGNED MANY RIPKEN ITEMS IN PERSON AND HAVE SENT AWAY ITEMS TO BE SIGNED. IT DEPENDS ON THE SHOW AND THE AGREEMENT WITH THE PROMOTER. THERE ARE TIMES WHERE HE WILL SIGN A GAME USED ITEM AND TIMES WHERE HE WILL NOT. MAB THE PROMOTER FOR THIS SHOW HAS HAD CAL 3 TIMES SINCE LAST YEAR, ONCE HE DID SIGN A GAME USED ITEM FOR ME, AND THE OTHER SHOW HE DID NOT. HOPE THIS HELPS. :confused:
GEORGE

suave1477
03-14-2006, 01:00 AM
seven4five here is the link hope this helps!!!

http://www.mabcelebrity.com/shows/current/boston06/index.php

seven4five20
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
$250 for signing a bat or jersey!!!? Is that normal? I am new to autograph shows, this is the first one I plan on attending specifically to get an autograph. $50 for an inscription? The only inscription I would want is "game used".....maybe iron man inscrition. Would it be worth the extra $50?

seven4five20
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Also, it is $50 for an inscription, and in parenthesis it states a max of three. Is that $50 per an inscription, or $50 for up to three? And, has anyone ever met Rip here? Is he a good guy, will he pay attention/talk for a minute, or will he just sign, and then pass your item along, like some superstars do.

suave1477
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
seven4five ok here is the break down!!

Is it worth to get an inscription yes and no,
Yes bcuz it does bring up the value of the item.
No because they charge way to much for just a word or 2.

I personally like inscriptions bcuz it seperates your item from just any autographed item and it has more eye eppeal.

I would suggest if your doing just a basic item ( not game used ) to find a rare stat, this brings up the value even more.

Cal Ripken is a really nice guy and he will talk with you. If you noticed on his sceduled time it states from the time he gets there untill hes done. Thats cuz he normally talks with a lot of people.

As far as the prices i hate to say this but yes those are normal nowadays. The best bet to getting the autographs cheap is to find your player with a low budget promoter.

OR THE SUPER CHEAP WAY, TRY TO CATCH THE PLAYER AFTER THE SHOW WHEN HES LEAVING OR INT HE PARKING LOT AND GET IT FOR FREE.

the inscriptions are $50 each but are normally cheaper for less popular players and sometimes free.

Cal ripken chooses not to do over 3 stats bcuz then it is considered a stat item and that makes it morea lot valuable and he feels at that point your doing it to sell it.

seven4five20
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Do you think he would inscribe game used?

suave1477
03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Again as said before it's really up to the player but i could only imagine someone like him i think you would need a lot of paper work to show it is his game used item. Someone of his status is not just going to walk around signing everything game used.

It's hard to say i don't think he would ( unless like i said you have tons of proof with you )

Or I could be wrong, cuz he is such a nice guy he may just turn around and say "Sure no problem"

Either way you don't lose out, if he won't put game used choose another inscription or get a refund for that inscription.

stlbats
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
When i had Ripken sign a bat at the National a few years ago, I think it was $350. It was riduculous, but it was his first show appearance since his retirement and I had tried to get a bat signed for years. He was very friendly and also made sure that he signed a nice auto on your item. Of course at that price he should, but there are a lot of stars that dont.

Jason

allstarsplus
03-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Cal signed several game used bases for us from his 2001 final season. He and his manager Ray looked at the MLB holograms and COA's we had and he did several personalized inscriptions such as dates, HR totals, hit totals.

I was very appreciative and happy that he took the time to make sure everthing was legitimate before he put his signature on the items. By doing his due dillegence it certainly would give me more confidence when buying an inscribed game used Ripken item.