PDA

View Full Version : Locker Name Plates - Display Help

bigtruck260
08-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey folks -

I recently picked up my first locker name tag, and it was kind of an impulse buy. Not sure how to display it properly. I was thinking about framing...but it requires a long frame (22-24 inches) to make it look decent, and probably needs a black or dark red background.

Ultimately, I would like to put it in a shadowbox with some other items like signed cards, batting gloves - etc.

Just wondering how others are displaying these cool pieces.

Thanks.

BIGSTIG
08-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Dave,

It's easy:) Here is the solution - Now that you have the locker name tag, you need to get a GU jersey, bat, helmet, cleats, pants, socks, hat etc and build a locker!! DUH!! :)

bigtruck260
08-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Dave,

It's easy:) Here is the solution - Now that you have the locker name tag, you need to get a GU jersey, bat, helmet, cleats, pants, socks, hat etc and build a locker!! DUH!! :)

Funny you mention that. If it was anyon but Troy Glaus, I would have considered it. I have yet to see any of his Cardinal bats hit the secondary market...and the only jersey I saw was from spring training.

You are right though, it would be a fun project to do something like that.

59FIFTY
08-16-2008, 05:06 AM
You could use some double sided tape and just stick it to the wall, stays up well but if you want to remove it it's easy:)

larry bourget
08-16-2008, 08:05 AM
VELCRO stickers, cost like $2 for a package of 10 or so.

LB

metsbats
08-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I use 3M double sided thick tape. It's about 1/8 of an inch thick and makes the plate stick out when you display it instead of flush against the wall.

The tape comes off easily if you want to move the plate so it won't damage or leave residue on the back of the plate.

-David

metsbats
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I was able to fit these locker room tags into a 8X10 photo frame.

-David

BaseballGM
08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
About 15 years ago I had a plastics person custom make an acrylic clear display for a plate I won at an auction. He cut out a 1/4" thick rectangular insert so that the nameplate could fit in there with a clear border. The he basically drilled 4 holes at the corners and sandwiched it together.
It's very heavy but looks great.

harpt
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I use 3M double sided thick tape. It's about 1/8 of an inch thick and makes the plate stick out when you display it instead of flush against the wall.

The tape comes off easily if you want to move the plate so it won't damage or leave residue on the back of the plate.

-David

I have an old nameplate (thanks to Bill Haelig) that is starting to bow (it is made of that sturdy fiber board material). Do you think this tape is strong enough to keep this type of thing flat over time, or should I be getting this into something else?

metsbats
08-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I have an old nameplate (thanks to Bill Haelig) that is starting to bow (it is made of that sturdy fiber board material). Do you think this tape is strong enough to keep this type of thing flat over time, or should I be getting this into something else?

Scott it must be a large nameplate if it's bowing. You may need to use several strips of tape to prevent it from bowing like 1 on each end and 1-2 strips in the middle depending on how long it is. If this doesn't work I think your best bet may be putting it into a frame so it stays flat.

The plate I had was small enough where i only need to use tape on either end.

-David

harpt
08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
OK, thanks a lot David.

grenda12
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I got a frame from walmart that looked like this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10404215 Took the mat board that came with the frame and the locker room name plate to Hobby Lobby. I picked out the color of the mat board I wanted and then they cut it down to the same size of the mat board I came in with. They measured the name plate, and the area that it was going to fit into, then cut it. That was it. I came home and slapped some clear tape to hold it to the mat board and in the frame it went.

thomecollector
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Grenda,
That looks awesome. Lmk when you want to get rid of the Thome.....

Roger

jkalathas
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I used double stick tape to apply the nameplate to the inside of my jersey case.

michaellechner
10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Hey guys,

This is an old thread but I wanted to give you maybe some new inspiration on displaying locker nameplates. I can't take all the credit for this, because I know I saw someone else do something similar, I just can't remember who or where I saw it.

I recently got a Freddie Freeman nameplate and couldn't decide how to display it. I looked around a little bit and thought that this would work beautifully and I'm super happy with the way it turned out!

I got an 11x14 action shot of Freddie, then got an 18x24 movie poster sized frame. I placed the nameplate in the frame, and the 11x14 just above it. I just got it up on my wall and I think it looks really slick.

Obviously due to the wall space it takes up, you couldn't do this with every nameplate. But it works great for a special piece of your favorite player!

What do you guys think? How do you display nameplates?

jake33
10-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I work at trade shows often and I will make a trade often times with the velcro rep , i have probably $75 worth of unopened velcro still, if anyone wants some, let me know.

I always use velcro for hanging locker plates

eisenreich8
10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey guys,

This is an old thread but I wanted to give you maybe some new inspiration on displaying locker nameplates. I can't take all the credit for this, because I know I saw someone else do something similar, I just can't remember who or where I saw it.

I recently got a Freddie Freeman nameplate and couldn't decide how to display it. I looked around a little bit and thought that this would work beautifully and I'm super happy with the way it turned out!

I got an 11x14 action shot of Freddie, then got an 18x24 movie poster sized frame. I placed the nameplate in the frame, and the 11x14 just above it. I just got it up on my wall and I think it looks really slick.

Obviously due to the wall space it takes up, you couldn't do this with every nameplate. But it works great for a special piece of your favorite player!

What do you guys think? How do you display nameplates?

I absolutely love the look of what you did. You inspired me to do the same. Great job!

michaellechner
10-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much! I'd love to see your piece once you do it!

mad87man
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
3m makes command hooks that are small and clear. I put two on the bottom and then two upside down and slide them in and it holds them nicely.

emann
10-28-2013, 11:00 PM
I absolutely love the look of what you did. You inspired me to do the same. Great job!

+1, looks awesome.

bd300
11-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I just framed a Domonic Brown nameplate.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5074/hul4.jpg