PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chicago Cubs jerseys

TNTtoys
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
All,

During the 1998 season, the Cubs appear to have worn 2 different versions of the gray road uniform: 1 featuring a CHICAGO logo with tall, thin letters, and 1 with shorter, fatter letters. Refer to the 2 photos attached of Sammy Sosa from the 1998 season. Does anyone have any further information as to what happened with the Cubs jerseys during this year? Is it possible that different manufacturers made a different version? Or did the style change mid-season? Or any other reasonable explanation why the variance?

Thanks,
Nick

metsbats
08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Nick,

Could it be possible that the photo on the left is actually a photo of Sosa from 1992-1993? You really cannot see the Harry Carey Patch on Sosa's right shoulder and the "CHICAGO" on the jersey is more of the font that was used in 1992-1993. During 1994-96 the road jerseys has "CUBS" in script and the larger font "CHICAGO" started in 1997.

The photo also shows Sosa using a bat without his trademark tape job. I believe he started taping his bats in 1995-96 on. During the 1998 season he always had his trademark large tape job around the knob of his bats.

Lastly Getty images dates on photos are not always reliable. I've seen dates on photos that were blatantly incorrect based on the jersey or bat labeling depicted in the photo.

What you Sosa Cub experts think?

David

TNTtoys
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
David,

Thanks for the suggestion, and I of all people know that Getty images have gotten those years wrong once in a while... but this set of photos is definitely out of 1998, and there were many more to choose from.

Incidentally I was emailed by a photographer who shot Sosa in 1998, and he did confirm that the Cubs wore two different gray road jerseys; one with shorter fatter numbers and the other with longer skinnier numbers. Unfortunately no explanation why, but I would not think he would know that info nor would I expect him to.

The jersey with the longer numbers caught on and the Cubs wore them from 1999 and onwards (they are still wearing them now).

Nick