PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com ending auctions early???

brianborsch
08-12-2008, 11:22 PM
I was the high bidder on a Stephen Strasburg game used Team USA jersey and they cleared the bids and ended the auction early. I have never seen this before and I sent them a request demanding to know why. Anyone else see this before?

BB

jetersbatboy
08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Brain,
I was watching the jersey too and noticed that also. Seeing it was my first time on a MLB auction I thought nothing of it, but now I know. If they respond to your email can you post there reason for ending the auction.
Thanks Scott

allstarsplus
08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Never seen that one before. Bizarre. Did you notice if they did it to any other USA Baseball items?

I had a strange one where I won an Expos game used jersey and then they told me that the auction was in error and they didn't have the jersey.

fanofjerseys
08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Brian:

Currently, I don't believe schools or teams are supposed to sell items with the player's name on the back if they have college eligibility remaining. Strasburg is the only player on the team who is currently still in college as the other members of Team USA are all in the minor leagues. I don't think they ended any of the other auctions for Team USA early.

I believe Team USA has sold jerseys of players in the past who were still in college but the jerseys did not have the player's name on the back, just the number.

I don't know for sure that's why the Strasburg auction was ended early but that's just my guess.

Brad

brianborsch
06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. So in the last Team USA auctions MLB.com just had, there were a couple of jerseys of unsigned players who if they remain unsigned, could end up playing college ball. My question is, why would MLB.com sell those Team USA jerseys when that potential is there and in turn, they are not supposed to sell them unless the player is a signed pro? Just curious?

yankees24
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
for a Yankees Steiner item that was on MLB Auctions, I decided to purchase it on their site instead and they took down the auction. maybe these jerseys were being offered for sale elsewhere and someone purchased it and resulted in the auction being taken down.

brianborsch
06-29-2010, 12:09 PM
No, the jerseys at the time were not sold elsewhere. And the jerseys in this current auction is a different but similar situation. This time the auctions were not ended. I will put up a different post to get more clarity.