PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Dave Rohde jersey

jrhrlh
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Does anyone else have a comment or opinion on this jersey?? I never knew that GU Pirate jerseys were used by anyone but adults.

hrvatwill
08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I find the tagging curious as I have never seen it before -- that said, I do not profess to be an expert, although I am an avid Pirate GU collector.

What I also find curious is that Rohde did not play for the Pirates in 1992, nor in any other year for that matter. He was signed as a free agent in November 1992 but never made the team.

My guess is that this jersey was prepared for his use before the 1993 season (using a surplus 1992 jersey), but never worn since he didn't make the team, so it's a game issued at best.

Beyond that, it's difficult for me to imagine someone taking the trouble to prepare a fake Rohde gamer, as there are certainly bigger fish to fry from the team that year, let alone choose someone who never played.

In that vein, my suspicion is that the "adult" label is a tagging aberration as one of the many things this site has taught me is to "never say never". But again, just a suspicion.