PDA

View Full Version : Soriano bat authenticity?

markize
08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
just wanted to get some input on the authenticity of this bat. there are a few red flags for me....

1. strange area around centerbrand looks new with no pinetar which soriano cakes on heavy.

2. handle tape job different from usual- has thick layer at knob.

3. no production info on barrel end.

4. did he ever use LS bat in 2006 - i have only ever seen sam bats

is it possible this could be a BP bat without the tape on the barrel? any help would be greatly appreciated. Andrew (allstarsplus), you ever seen a soriano gamer like this? thanks.

mark

markize
08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
sorry, forgot to post the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFONSO-SORIANO-GAME-USED-UNCRACKED-M9-LVS-BAT-2006_W0QQitemZ110278851453QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 110278851453&_trkparms=72%3A1073%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218572843640

Fnazxc0114
08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
i believe hes a member here maybe he can answer your question. did you email him

allstarsplus
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
just wanted to get some input on the authenticity of this bat. there are a few red flags for me....

1. strange area around centerbrand looks new with no pinetar which soriano cakes on heavy.

2. handle tape job different from usual- has thick layer at knob.

3. no production info on barrel end.

4. did he ever use LS bat in 2006 - i have only ever seen sam bats

is it possible this could be a BP bat without the tape on the barrel? any help would be greatly appreciated. Andrew (allstarsplus), you ever seen a soriano gamer like this? thanks.

mark

Mark - He actually had a rare occassion in 2006 during June 19 to June 21st in Boston on the road in interleague that he ran out of SAM bats and used at least 1 LS Maple like shown. There is 1 LS Maple in existence with a MLB holo.

With that said, the tape job doesn't go up far enough on the handle and the pine tar just seems too thick on the tape.

I am not as concerned about the tar on the label because sometimes that has happened on these as it didn't adhere real think on the plastic label but should be more uniform in nature.

I do believe the bat was in the bat rack as the numbering looks good, but Mark you are right on with respect to the tape job especially on the knob!!!

Good job!!!! Here are some examples of a 9 of his bats side-by-side including a LS Maple like the one you showed on auction.

Aksflyest
08-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Damn that is an impressive Soriano collection!

allstarsplus
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Damn that is an impressive Soriano collection!

Thanks!!!! That is just my bat collection. I own a full uniform, cap, jersey, pants, wrist band, batting gloves and cleats.

The best piece I have is probably the actual game used 2nd base from the NY Mets when Alfonso hit his 40th double. That goes with my Phillies base from his 40th HR game and a Nationals base from his 40th steal game.

I also have an actual MLB Authenticated HR ball from his 3 HR game vs. the Braves in Washington DC. The ball I got was his first HR in that game on April 21, 2006.

It was fun collecting more as the season went on and it looked like Alfonso was going to make some history. I got lucky as his 40th steal was almost achieved in Arizona and the official scorer ruled it defensive indifference.

His 40-40-40 season he had may never be matched!

treant985
08-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Isn't it possible that Soriano added one extra layer of tape on the knob because it wasn't a SAM Bat and thus felt a little different in his hands?

Do you know of any other times when Soriano used LS's besides 6/19-6/21/2006? I went through the video of those games, and it looks like he uses the same exact bat for the entire series. For instance:

6/20:

6/21:

markize
08-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Andrew,

thanks for your insight! I knew if anyone could help, it would be you. I see your point about the pine tar not sticking to the label, but this one just looked funny to me. I guess if it wasn't used for long it would be possible.....he must have gotten the sam bat order shipped express!! The tape job seemed obvious as none of my Soriano bats are anything like this. Was there anyone else on the Nationals roster in 06 who taped the knob like that? I know you have seen, and held plenty of bats from that year.

With regards to the pictures of your collection.....those cleats got my mouth watering again. I remember emailing (lets be honest - BEGGING) you to sell me those about 6-7 months ago. I have also put together a Soriano game used uniform, although not from 2006:( . I have 2007 pair of cleats, home pants & jersey, hat, batting gloves, and bat.

Thanks again for your insight, and be sure to email me when those 06 Soriano items go up for sale!!

mark

markize
08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
[quote=treant985;95205]Isn't it possible that Soriano added one extra layer of tape on the knob because it wasn't a SAM Bat and thus felt a little different in his hands?

Do you know of any other times when Soriano used LS's besides 6/19-6/21/2006? I went through the video of those games, and it looks like he uses the same exact bat for the entire series. For instance:

quote]

you make a good point about the bat having a different feel. it's hard to make out, but is the bat in the 2nd picture (6/21) a sam bat. it doesnt look like a LS bat, plus the bat in the pics you posted has too much pine tar on the label.

mark

treant985
08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
you make a good point about the bat having a different feel. it's hard to make out, but is the bat in the 2nd picture (6/21) a sam bat. it doesnt look like a LS bat, plus the bat in the pics you posted has too much pine tar on the label.

mark

I actually couldn't tell whether the bat was a SAM or LS. The only quality they offer for 2006 is 350K, so it's tough to get a good shot. My main point with the pics was (as you say) to show that the pine tar on the bat he used for the entire series is much heavier than the pine tar on the ebay bat.

Maybe Soriano had a few bats that he started to prepare in case he had to use them, but didn't use the one on ebay and just left it behind when he went to the next city?

bubbrubb25
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Mark - He actually had a rare occassion in 2006 during June 19 to June 21st in Boston on the road in interleague that he ran out of SAM bats and used at least 1 LS Maple like shown. There is 1 LS Maple in existence with a MLB holo.

With that said, the tape job doesn't go up far enough on the handle and the pine tar just seems too thick on the tape.

I am not as concerned about the tar on the label because sometimes that has happened on these as it didn't adhere real think on the plastic label but should be more uniform in nature.

I do believe the bat was in the bat rack as the numbering looks good, but Mark you are right on with respect to the tape job especially on the knob!!!

Good job!!!! Here are some examples of a 9 of his bats side-by-side including a LS Maple like the one you showed on auction.

15676Awesome bats, I would love to have one of them in my collection!

allstarsplus
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I actually couldn't tell whether the bat was a SAM or LS. The only quality they offer for 2006 is 350K, so it's tough to get a good shot. My main point with the pics was (as you say) to show that the pine tar on the bat he used for the entire series is much heavier than the pine tar on the ebay bat.

Maybe Soriano had a few bats that he started to prepare in case he had to use them, but didn't use the one on ebay and just left it behind when he went to the next city?

I have to agree with Mark on the tape job. Why would this one be taped around the knob? Why does the tape only go up that length on the handle?

Makes little sense.

I am not as concerned with the pine tar.

That's my 2 cents.

Treant - Did you watch all the at-bats during the 3 game series? Those bats seemed too heavy on the pinetar on the label to be the LS that I recall.

allstarsplus
08-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Awesome bats, I would love to have one of them in my collection!

Thanks!!! I have some nice Soriano Cubs bats if you are interested. I don't plan on selling any more Nationals bats at this time.