PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rangers jersey-Barry Meisel help!!

hblakewolf
03-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Forum Readers-

It is my understanding that MeiGrey was in control of the 2003 Rangers jerseys, and thus, had their inventory # in each one.

How can this be?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8777240633

Barry-any insight here?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
A previous reply from Barry regarding this matter:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
We signed our first agreement with the Rangers in December 2001, and began marketing Texas' game-worn jerseys, primarily from 1998-2001. We also had a small handful of jerseys from 1996 and 1997, but very few.

We sewed a Texas Rangers Collection tag into the jerseys after they were worn, as per our agreement with the Rangers. The team warranted that they sold us every jersey they had, but obviously there could have been others that left their possession before our deal with them.

What is certain is that EVERY jersey we marketed had a Texas Rangers Collection tag in the tail.

From 2002-current, the Rangers have warranted to us that they sewed an inventory tag into every game-worn jersey marketed through our deal. Our deal is exclusive through the game-worn industry, but there are other jerseys that we don't get (promotional jerseys, charitable contributions, jerseys given to team staff, etc). Those, however, also have inventory tags.

Does there exist a game-worn jersey that does not have a Texas Rangers inventory tag? It is possible, of course, but highly unlikely. For that to have happened, a player or some other staffer would have had to work a non-inventory tagged jersey into the locker room, worn it, and then removed it from the locker room.

According to the team, they tag every jersey that is prepared for use by, and eventually worn by, the team. They have done so since 2002.

Furthermore, I can attest based on the inventory we have received, that these jerseys were well-worn and photo-matched to multiple games.

Hope this helps,

Barry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall Barry also telling me that once the Rangers starting implementing their own inventory tag in 2002, MeiGray ceased sewing on their MeiGray tag. MeiGray sewed their tag on in the years prior to the Rangers implementing their own inventory system. That is, Texas Rangers jerseys should have either a MeiGray tag OR an inventory tag, but not both. Barry informed me that once the Rangers started sewing on their own inventory tag in 2002, MeiGray didn't see the purpose of also sewing on their own MeiGray tag. The numbered inventory tag is from the Rangers, not MeiGray. This Rodriguez jersey appears to have the inventory tag.
Barry, if I'm incorrect in my recollection, let me know.

Rudy.

www.jerseydave.com
03-10-2006, 06:29 PM
To me..the tag is sewn into the jersey in the proper place. Not sure how you would check each tag number to confirm use. One thing I do know is that Grey Flannel have received Meigray jerseys in the past and then re-sold the jerseys with Grey Flannel LOA's and never forwarded the Meigray paperwork. I have a Pudge jersey that I bought directly from Grey Flannel that had the older Meigray tag sewn into it.. When I asked the people at Grey Flannel about the Meigray paperwork... I was basically told that a Grey Flannel letter is just as good, if not better, so it would not come with the jersey. So the seller selling a jersey from Grey Flannel paperwork but it being a Meigray jersey is highly possible....

seven4five20
03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I originally consigned that jersey to Grey Flannel. I can say it is 100% legit, and did originally have Meigray paperwork. The paperwork was not forwarded to GFC by me, because I also never had it.
I originally purchased it on ebay from a very reputable dealer, with intentions to consign it. The ebay dealer has well over 15,000 feedbacks. He forgot to send the Meigray letter to me, and the jersey got to me a few days before the consignment deadline. Because of this I was unable to send the jersey with the letter.

BarryMeisel
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Howard,
I will be happy to help on Monday, when I'm in front of our database. I'll check the Inventory number and provide whatever details I have on this jersey.

Regards,

Barry

BarryMeisel
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, the answer is what I suspected.

We sold this jersey on August 27, 2004 as a Game-Issued. It was clearly an unused, new jersey.

The collector who bought it from the party we sold it to and did not get the MGG paperwork would have seen, had he gotten the correct paperwork, that the letter issued for this jersey was a Game-Issued letter.

That is why we keep a database. That is why we tell collectors to check with us first. This jersey does have the proper Texas Rangers serial number, 03354 ... and we logged it when we acquired it as a game-issued jersey.

It does not surprise me when "lost" or "misplaced" or "forgotten" paperwork end up in the middle of situations when game-issued becomes game-worn. And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease.

Regards,

Barry

suave1477
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
So since it is now proven that this jersey is game issued and was misrepresented should we warn the buyer?

hblakewolf
03-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, the answer is what I suspected.

We sold this jersey on August 27, 2004 as a Game-Issued. It was clearly an unused, new jersey.

The collector who bought it from the party we sold it to and did not get the MGG paperwork would have seen, had he gotten the correct paperwork, that the letter issued for this jersey was a Game-Issued letter.

That is why we keep a database. That is why we tell collectors to check with us first. This jersey does have the proper Texas Rangers serial number, 03354 ... and we logged it when we acquired it as a game-issued jersey.

It does not surprise me when "lost" or "misplaced" or "forgotten" paperwork end up in the middle of situations when game-issued becomes game-worn. And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease.

Regards,

Barry

Barry-
As I have always said, I can only hope that all of MLB would allow you to handle their jerseys. You have a great system, for the most part.

It just proves that your tagging system is the best, however, it now appears someone has figured out a way around selling your "game issued" jerseys as "game worn". What's interesting in this case, however, is that Grey Flannel wrote a LOA on the jersey, indicating it is a gamer. Is it just me, or do you find it sad that Grey Flannel would not have at least taken a minute to research the MeiGray tag in the tail, the same as I asked here and you provided insight? Likewise, were you ever contacted by the folks at Grey Flannel, seeking new paperwork on this jersey? Again, a big red flag should have gone up when they received this jersey, void of the MeiGray paperwork.

Your quote, "And if the parties involved are identified when they misrepresent these products, maybe the problems will decrease." is interesting. Care to tell us who purchased this jersey?

Thanks for the update.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
So since it is now proven that this jersey is game issued and was misrepresented should we warn the buyer?

kingjammy24
03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Pretty sloppy from the boys at GF.

I once saw a nice 1988 Jays jersey on Ebay being sold as "game-worn". Of course, my first question to the seller was if it had the Jays COA. He replied that he acquired it from the Jays but didn't have the COA. The jersey, to my eye, didn't appear to have any wear or use so I didn't bid. Now I know why he didn't have the COA.

Barry, any thoughts to putting the database online so anyone (potential buyers, sellers, etc) can type in the inventory number and see the specs on the specific jersey?

Rudy.

BarryMeisel
03-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Everybody,

Howard, no, we won't release the buyers' identity without permission. We do not know for certain who incorrectly sold/traded/labeled this jersey.

No, Grey Flannel did not check with us.

Thanks for the database suggestion, Rudy. It's something we will consider.

Regards,
Barry

hblakewolf
03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Forum readers-

The jersey in question has been relisted on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8782478468

I contacted the winner, and told him to read this actual post on the Forum. As a result, he refused to honor his bid.

I have also contacted the seller and am awaiting a response.

Thanks for the info and providing the history of this shirt, Barry.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
What bothers me is he doesnt accept paypal, i do understand his reasoning that paypal ends up taking a nice chunk but at the same time it leaves the buyer helpless to being ripped off.

kingjammy24
03-17-2006, 02:58 PM
The recent re-listing has ended and it has been re-listed for a third time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8782481969

Why the third re-listing? Why to keep the bidder's IDs private this time around! That'll teach you to stop your meddling Howard. I guess the seller's decision to re-list and intentionally keep the bidder's IDs private this time pretty much tells you their response. Perhaps you can contact Ebay.

You know bothers me? The audacity of Grey Flannel to issue that LOA without having the common sense to contact MeiGray when the inventory number is completely evident. Richie & Andy, does this sound familiar - "you didn't even try".

Now this jersey is floating around out there with a garbage LOA and void of the original MeiGray paperwork. What a scheme...buy legit game-issueds from MeiGray, toss the paperwork, turn them into GFC and get an LOA that states it's game-used because they're too clueless to call MeiGray for a confirmation. Presto, instant profit.

Topped off with the idiocy of them telling David Serviss that a GFC LOA is "just as good, if not better" than a MeiGray LOA. The unfortunate part of that is that some people out there may actually believe it.

Rudy.

hblakewolf
03-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Rudy-
Give Ebay a few minutes and it should be removed.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

2000mvpfan
03-18-2006, 02:43 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8782481969

.....guess he took the money & ran before E-bay could shut it down!Makes you think,though-the winner now believes he got a genuine,game-used A-Rod jersey for $122.Sad.

Joe

suave1477
03-18-2006, 01:52 PM
2000MVP you might be mistaken the bidder could have lost a lot more then $120 he could have offerd more money or the sell could have offered hm the jersey for a bit more money. They could have emailed each other and the seller told him make the highest bid on the Jersey and i will close it and then send me such and such amount for it.

So who knows what he really paid for it!!!

If he did get it for $120 that is still worth it even for a game issued of Arods.

kingjammy24
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
This 2003 Rodriguez "game used" jersey in the Ebay auction was previously sold as "game issued" at a January 2005 Lelands auction:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=15&auctionid=501

Rudy.