PDA

View Full Version : Important enough to Collect? Not Really

Swoboda4
08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
We've noticed a new twist on the game used scene and that is,items(in particular baseballs) used during a game when some minor milestone happens. Usually not overly important, but deemed commercially significant,we see baseballs sold bearing a psuedo title like,"Joe Blow's 200 HR game baseball". Besides fooling the novice who doesn't read into it(the word GAME is important because it distances itself from the actual 200th HR ball), are these items really important? And if not for one word,they're being more slick than anything else.

skyking26
08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
The Tigers do this daily. I get alot of emails regarding they have x number of game used baseballs from a significant game and they are $35 each blah blah. I guess if there is a market for it - but I don't really understand who would care...

frikativ54
08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I guess if there is a market for it - but I don't really understand who would care...

Some of the milestones are pretty arbitrary, like selling someone's 150 HR ball. However, there are real accomplishments that make it awesome to own a baseball used in the game where it happened. For example, you can own a baseball Ichiro hit for his 3,000th professional hit. I bid on that ball on MLB.com Auctions, and I would be glad to own such a milestone item. There is something unique and special about a game-used baseball. It has its own characteristic scuffs and markings, and it's the next best thing to actually snagging a ball from that game yourself.

joelsabi
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
We've noticed a new twist on the game used scene and that is,items(in particular baseballs) used during a game when some minor milestone happens. Usually not overly important, but deemed commercially significant,we see baseballs sold bearing a psuedo title like,"Joe Blow's 200 HR game baseball". Besides fooling the novice who doesn't read into it(the word GAME is important because it distances itself from the actual 200th HR ball), are these items really important? And if not for one word,they're being more slick than anything else.

collecting arod, i know i cannot afford getting every milestone baseball even if i tried. an alternative is to get a ball from the same game. for example i have a game used ball from his 3 hr 10 rbi game which i hope to get inscribe later in the future. these type of ball give some historical context to my collection. its a cheap alternative and more feasible of getting items related to a specific game.

my reasoning is i would rather have a ball used from a memorable game rather than having a ticket stub from that particular game. if i was at a memorable game i would wish i had a foul ball or ask the ball boy for a baseball from that game.

i would rather have a inscribed ball that is game used saying "3 hr 10 rbi" rather than a brand new ball with the same inscription as well.

thats my take at least.

tigerdale
08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
collecting arod, i know i cannot afford getting every milestone baseball even if i tried. an alternative is to get a ball from the same game. for example i have a game used ball from his 3 hr 10 rbi game which i hope to get inscribe later in the future. these type of ball give some historical context to my collection. its a cheap alternative and more feasible of getting items related to a specific game.

my reasoning is i would rather have a ball used from a memorable game rather than having a ticket stub from that particular game. if i was at a memorable game i would wish i had a foul ball or ask the ball boy for a baseball from that game.

i would rather have a inscribed ball that is game used saying "3 hr 10 rbi" rather than a brand new ball with the same inscription as well.

thats my take at least.
I agree w/ this 100%. game balls can be very cheap compared to other game used items. To me , everyone has a nice white ball signed on the sweet spot. I like the game ball signed, with an inscription added..it makes a nice keepsake. I'm not buying them to go up in value, but as my own niche in this hobby that seems to be getting more expensive, making it near impossible for someone raising a family to afford to purchase something nice.

skyking26
08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
That is why this hobby is fun. One man's junk is another's treasure. I get all the Tigers emails about gu baseball's from a game that had this accomplishment or that. Does not turn me on. In fact, if I had a gu baseball from a noted Kingman accomplishment such as his many 3 HR games, etc, I still would have no interest, just not my thing. That does not take it away from those that do, everybody is different...

tigerdale
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
perfectly said.....if we were all the same it would be boring. Thanks.

David
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
A game used ball from any game is collectible, a memento, and thus has to have some value. The valuation of these 'milestone' balls is a different issue.

Swoboda4
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I think I've been convinced that it isn't such a bad idea to have a ball autographed by a player from a game he played in. MLB is making efforts to have every game authenticated so,you know what-I stand corrected.
Read an article from Sunday's Reuters News Service that germane:

baseball steps up security to fight fraud
By: Ben Klayman; editing by Eddie Evans (Reuters News Service) – Sunday, August 10th, 2008, 3:21 AM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Tom Cunningham stands in the camera well near first base at U.S. Cellular Field, home of the Chicago White Sox, intently watching the action and making sure he views every batted ball and close play.

The 49-year-old Chicago police officer is not there as a fan -- although he does love baseball -- but as part of Major League Baseball's program to guarantee the authenticity of game-used jerseys, balls, bats and other memorabilia it sells to fans.

At the end of the White Sox game, Cunningham will assign each item an identification number, attach a tamper-proof hologram and record its details.

Fans who pay hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars to buy these items -- usually via the Major League Baseball website -- can be sure that they are getting what they pay for.

"It's put integrity back in collectibles," said Cunningham, one of baseball's 130 authenticators, who also witness and authenticate the signatures of players who sign items for sale.

The program was set up after a Federal Bureau of Investigation probe into sports memorabilia in 2000 that concluded that as much as 75 percent of sports and entertainment memorabilia was fake.

The probe, known as "Operation Bullpen" after the area where baseball pitchers warm up, resulted in the seizure, in one case, of some 10,000 baseballs with counterfeit signatures, including one purporting to be by Mother Teresa.

At the time, players such as outfielder Tony Gwynn and pitcher Randy Johnson were identifying forgeries of their own signatures on baseballs that were for sale in their home parks.

"It was really an eye opener for us," said Howard Smith, baseball's senior vice president of licensing. "If you can't buy something at the stadium with confidence, you really have a problem."

Pete Siegel, of New York City-based Gotta Have It! Collectible Inc, which sells high-end sports collectibles, said the move was long overdue in a market he estimates at $2 billion and growing.

"If it was done years earlier, items would be worth a lot more money than they are now," he said.

Baseballs that retired New York Yankees all-star Mickey Mantle signed in the 1980s for sports trading card publisher Upper Deck carry a 50 percent premium to other balls because Upper Deck affixed a hologram to every ball, lending it more credibility, Siegel said.

Other North American sports leagues authenticate their items as well, but not on the same level as baseball, whose holograms are made by Britain's OpSec Security Group Plc.

The National Basketball Association and National Hockey league both use MeiGray Group to authenticate items and the National Football League uses PSA/DNA, a division of Collectors Universe, while Major League Soccer has tested radio frequency ID chips by Prova Group Inc.

"We don't want to get mixed in with the $50 Brett Favre-signed footballs that apparently are not real because Brett didn't sign for anything less than $100, $150," said Pete Quaglierini, manager of NFL Auctions, referring to the Green Bay Packers quarterback.

Baseball, the NBA and NHL all generate profits from their programs, and also provide money to charitable causes, while the others sell items only for charity. None of the leagues disclosed how much money the programs generate.

All of the baseball program's authenticators were hired from law enforcement because of that background, with four or five assigned to each team, working on a rotation to cover every game and even some trade shows.

The rules are simple: an authenticator must see it to authenticate anything. That can be taken to the extreme, as authenticated items have included infield dirt and urinals at old stadiums. One of the more bizarre items authenticated by Cunningham includes ice skates signed by an Olympic gold medalist who visited the White Sox.

But forget home run balls, one of the most sought-after items of sports memorabilia. Once an item leaves the field of play and the chain of custody, it normally can't be authenticated under the Major League Baseball program.

The exception is for big hits, like when Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants took baseball's all-time home-run record in 2006. In such cases, the umpire is handed a numbered ball before the play.

The growing appetite for such collectibles is obvious. More than 2 million items have been authenticated under the Major League Baseball program, more than half of them in the last three years.

"When Ken Griffey Jr hit his 600th home run, pretty much everything he was wearing was authenticated, from his hat down to his shoes," said Major League Baseball's Michael Posner.

David
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
You can look at it this way. A lot of people collect, and put a value on, baseball player signed baseballs. It makes sense they might give added value if the ball was used in a game.

tigerdale
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
when i get time this week, I'll post a picture of a couple 'generic' game used balls I've had signed.

frikativ54
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
A game used ball from any game is collectible, a memento, and thus has to have some value. The valuation of these 'milestone' balls is a different issue.

I collect game-used baseballs, and their worth on the secondary market doesn't matter to me in the least bit. I was able to pick up 4 baseballs from Jeff Bagwell's 2000th hit game, and they are sitting in my display case. I am even going to buy one of these displays for them, because I value them that much (http://www.homeplateheroes.com/4%20BASEBALL.html). I would never sell them, because they are meaningful to me, and Bagwell never got to 2,500 or 3,000 hits, so this is a big milestone relative to his career.

I couldn't agree more that one man's junk is another man's treasure. For example, I might pick up a random MLB Authenticated baseball from a game I attended, because I met a star player at the game. Or maybe it was my first time seeing a particular pitcher, and I want to commemorate the occasion. There's nothing wrong with this in the least bit. You might compare this to picking up a bat of a no-name player.

The bat may not be worth very much, but maybe that player grew up in your hometown, or maybe you had the opportunity to eat lunch with him once. The objective value is not the point; many of us collect because of sentimental value. I think clubhouse worn shower sandals are disgusting, but I'm not going to tell Kyle Hess that they are not "important enough to collect". That would be unfair, like passing judgement, which is unnecessary in this hobby.

Swoboda4
08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I got many signed MLB official baseballs they would have been better on a MLB authorized game ball-the new way to have a baseball autographed-boy did I do a 180 on this topic. Here's Marc from the tigers who sends an email every 15 minutes. God bless him ,if every team did that we would be in good shape(Swoboda4-Robert):

Subj:Tigers, Pre-order baseballs Date:8/11/2008 2:42:32 PM Eastern Daylight TimeFrom:Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)Sent from the Internet (Details) (aolmsg://01ef4c10/inethdr/1)

Wednesday will mark MAgglio Ordonez's 1500th career baseball game assuming he plays the next three games. I am taking pre-orders for game used baseballs from the game he accomplishes this feat. If interested, please let me know. They will be $35 each.

Marc Himelstein

frikativ54
08-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I got many signed MLB official baseballs they would have been better on a MLB authorized game ball-the new way to have a baseball autographed-boy did I do a 180 on this topic. Here's Marc from the tigers who sends an email every 15 minutes. God bless him ,if every team did that we would be in good shape(Swoboda4-Robert):

Subj:Tigers, Pre-order baseballs Date:8/11/2008 2:42:32 PM Eastern Daylight TimeFrom:Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)Sent from the Internet (Details) (aolmsg://01ef4c10/inethdr/1)

Wednesday will mark MAgglio Ordonez's 1500th career baseball game assuming he plays the next three games. I am taking pre-orders for game used baseballs from the game he accomplishes this feat. If interested, please let me know. They will be $35 each.

Marc Himelstein

That's great that the Tigers do this. I wish the Astros were the same way; I would love to own more Bagwell milestone balls.

sylbry
08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Why have Joe Mauer sign a ROMLB when he can sign a ball from a game he went 5 for 5 in?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Twins/JoeMauergameusedball5for5game.jpg

Why have Boof Bonser sign a ROMLB when he can sign a ball from his first win?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Twins/BoofBonsergameusedballfirstwin.jpg

And for Pat Neshek, how many signed ROMLB has he signed? Yet I would imagine there are very few like this.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Twins/neshekball.jpg

They are not the most impressive collectible but they are far more interesting than a new ROMLB IMO.

My hats off to the Mark and the Tigers organization. They make getting a game used ball from a specific game easy and not terribly expensive. With the help of tigerdale, I got in touch with Mark and he sent me a game used ball from Justin Morneau's 5 for 5 game. I will have Morneau sign the ball and it will be worth every penny of the $20 more it cost over a regular ROMLB.

tigerdale
08-11-2008, 06:24 PM
maybe were breaking new ground in this hobby for a lot of people....even though there may be game balls from every game....maybe only 6 to 12 are authenticated each night....inn the big picture, thats not many if your collecting a milestone....like the 5 for 5 ball!!! Those signed balls look awesome you posted!!!

tigerdale
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
And for Pat Neshek, how many signed ROMLB has he signed? Yet I would imagine there are very few like this.

Those Pat Neshek baseballs are great...to me, thats a great collectable. you have that memory, you created a unique piece, possibly a 1 of 1.
thats true history of the game there for a very reasonable price. if we all did this, maybe the other prices would come down on items. Very impressive baseballs!!!

Fnazxc0114
08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
the first time i saw this was with g/u ball from nolan ryans 300 win game. i thought it would be coold to own on but they dont get me excited like a bat or jersey does.

tigerdale
01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
here's an addition to an old thread...I just had somemore 'game balls' signed & I still think they're a very unique collectable. Thers so many things you could have a player sign on any ordinary day...heres Nate Robertson of the tigers...

frikativ54
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
My opinion on collecting is that it's whatever makes you happy. I mean, how can one person judge whether an item is significant for someone else? Baseballs are relatively cheap, so they provide something that a younger collector, someone who can't afford something expensive, can enjoy and collect.

sylbry
01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Obtained since my last post.

Denard Span debut
Nick Blackburn 1st win
Glen Perkins 1st win
Brian Bass 1st win

Will be getting a Scott Baker one hit game used ball signed later this month.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Twins/twinsballs.jpg

cigarman44
01-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I think these balls are great for the price. I have three balls that are "Milestones" per se that fit my collection.

Ankiel's first game and HR of comeback Aug, 9 2007
Ankiel's first career 2 HR game Aug 11, 2007
Ankiel's first career walk-off hit Sept 23, 2007 (just ordered)

With the Cardinals, all the balls I have also specify the last play they were used and the one from his first 2 HR game was actually used in one of those AB's which is cool (foul tip). I hope to get them signed and inscribed one day.

If anyone of you Cards fans have a ticket stub from the Sept 23 game I would be interested. Thanks!

joelsabi
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I think these balls are great for the price. I have three balls that are "Milestones" per se that fit my collection.

Ankiel's first game and HR of comeback Aug, 9 2007
Ankiel's first career 2 HR game Aug 11, 2007
Ankiel's first career walk-off hit Sept 23, 2007 (just ordered)

With the Cardinals, all the balls I have also specify the last play they were used and the one from his first 2 HR game was actually used in one of those AB's which is cool (foul tip). I hope to get them signed and inscribed one day.

If anyone of you Cards fans have a ticket stub from the Sept 23 game I would be interested. Thanks!

where did you get the ankiel locker? is it from the stadium or you made it or what?

cigarman44
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
where did you get the ankiel locker? is it from the stadium or you made it or what?

Nope, it's home made. Just a product of running a door shop and having too much time on my hands with a slow housing market :D

godwulf
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
These are not even "milestone" balls, but just foul balls I fielded this past year during the Arizona Fall League...each signed by the player who hit it.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9df25b3127ccec65c31b9d55b00000040O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Maybe not the most impressive, and certainly not the most valuable part of my collection, and some of these guys may not even make it to the majors - although Eric Young, Jr., second from the top on the left, I think most certainly will - but "worth collecting"? Absolutely.

sonic
01-04-2009, 06:23 PM
These are not even "milestone" balls, but just foul balls I fielded this past year during the Arizona Fall League...each signed by the player who hit it.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9df25b3127ccec65c31b9d55b00000040O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Maybe not the most impressive, and certainly not the most valuable part of my collection, and some of these guys may not even make it to the majors - although Eric Young, Jr., second from the top on the left, I think most certainly will - but "worth collecting"? Absolutely.

Very cool! In a way, we don't collect "stuff." We collect memories, and you did a great job of capturing yours.

indyred
01-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Obtained since my last post.

Denard Span debut
Nick Blackburn 1st win
Glen Perkins 1st win
Brian Bass 1st win

Will be getting a Scott Baker one hit game used ball signed later this month.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Twins/twinsballs.jpg

Very cool idea getting those signed like that. Make for nice unique pieces.

Swoboda4
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm noticing another benefit to autographs on game used baseballs:The signature lasts longer (pre-game rubdown with Mississippi mud and batted around=better ink penetration with the shine off).