PDA

View Full Version : Experts on Michael Jordan game used tagging?

33bird
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Would a legit pair of Michael Jordan game used shoes ever have the word SAMPLE on them? Somebody is offering a pair right now and they have that word on them. None of my MJ gamers do. Please advise. Thanks a lot.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

33bird
08-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Any Jordan shoe experts out there?

Vintagedeputy
08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm no expert but that sounds like a salesman sample to me.

allstarsplus
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Would a legit pair of Michael Jordan game used shoes ever have the word SAMPLE on them? Somebody is offering a pair right now and they have that word on them. None of my MJ gamers do. Please advise. Thanks a lot.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

Greg - I have had that same issue come up with Shaq shoes too if you are referring to the fabric label sewn on the underneath portion of the tongue.

The best expert on that would probably be Dan Cisneros who handles a lot of NBA shoes.

I will call Dan and see if he can respond to this.

elbooman
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
some jordan shoes have sample, usually the ones from the wizards always have sample. i have a pair of his jordan 17s when he wore with wizards and they have SAMPLE NOT FOR RESALE on them in the insides. about the tagging, most of his shoes from his early days like early 90s are size 13, but towards the end of his career in the later 90s he wore size 13.5

33bird
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd really like to hear what the expert has to say. These are Michael Jordan shoes XI from 1995-96. Everything looks good. He even has a picture of Charles Oakley handing him the shoes, but I've never seen the sample on em' before. Size 13.5. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

DConLA
08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
In my experience it was very rare to see vintage Jordan’s with promo/sample tagging and I have come across early models of Bird, Magic and even Dr. J with no sample/promo tagging. Now I did start seeing some Jordan’s with promo/sample tags near the late 90’s and when he made his come back with the Wizards. During Jordan’s 2 years with the Wizards I came into contact with several pairs and some had no sample tags and some did, including the two home games (Lakers vs. Wizards) during 2001-02 & 2002-03, both pairs had sample/promo tags.

I am not sure when the shoe company’s started printing sample/promo tags but using Kobe as a model from 96 to the present it became very common and the standard for Kobe’s shoes (Adidas & Nike) to have sample/promo tagging. It is rare to see a pair of gamers from Kobe that doesn’t have promo tags. I would say about 10 pair out of 100 during the season have no promo tags. Out of the 12 man roster on the Lakers only 4 players (Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Fisher) have promo/sample tags in there shoes.

I hope this helps.

Dan Ceniceros dceniceros248@yahoo.com

trsent
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd really like to hear what the expert has to say. These are Michael Jordan shoes XI from 1995-96. Everything looks good. He even has a picture of Charles Oakley handing him the shoes, but I've never seen the sample on em' before. Size 13.5. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

Greg, the size is right for that era. I have had a few pairs of Jordan gamers and they never said "sample" but that doesn't mean anything. I saw Michael Jordan's garage before he moved into his mansion years ago and back then he had around 300-500 shoe boxes in his garage visible from the street. Who knows how many pairs of shoes this guy has worn and owned but no one can tell you if your shoes are good or not but I'm sure there is a 3rd party authenticator that will look at them, research them and write a LOO.

I had a letter on Michael Jordan Foundation stationary from Jackie Banks (his right hand woman back then) stating that Michael Jordan wore size 13 and size 13.5 shoes back in that era.

33bird
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys. No, I haven't bought them. I'm just checking them out. When he sends me a scan of the tagging on Wednesday, I'll post it on here and you guys can check it out.
Greg

33bird
08-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's the tagging. Bummer! Looks like they can fight off the Foot Locker shelf?
Greg

33bird
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
sorry. Here's a bigger one of the tagging.

cammy collector
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
You are good to go. the "FTPS" suffix all but confirms their authenticity. the "PS" at the end stands for "Player Sample", this I am 100% sure of. I've got a few pictures of other MJ game/used with the same tagging if you would like to see them.

-Mike

33bird
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Yea, please do. How are you 100% sure? LMK. Thanks,
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

33bird
08-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Please let me know if you guys agree with Cammy Collector about the tags being legit for a pair of Jordan game used shoes? Is the FTPS correct for being Player Sample only? Cammy Collector if you could show me some other examples I would really appreciate it. Thanks Guys.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

33bird
08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I still need help in knowing if the tagging-see picture-means these 1996 shoes were made for Jordan? Does the SAMPLE FTPS mean Player sample only? Cammy Collectors believes it makes them legit. Anybody else? Please help if you know. Thanks,
Greg

cammy collector
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Greg,

sorry for taking so long to respond, I was away from my home computer with no access to my saved pictures. Here's what I've got for you. Again, I know for a fact that "FTPS" designates a pair as "Player Sample's", I can't vouch for anything being game used, however.

description of the following pictures...

1.) Un-used Jordan XI's in the "Columbia" colorway, made for Mike
2.) Special box tag for the above sample pair
3.) FTPS tag for above pair

4.) FTPS tag for Jordan XI's in the "black/varsity red" colorway, made for MJ

5.) Authenticated pair of Jordan XI's in the "Concord" colorway (same as the pair in question), again made for MJ
6.) FTPS tag for the above, authenticated, auto'd (UDA) pair

If it helps, Jordan/Nike samples are almost ALWAYS made in a size 9 (most popular men's size). Regardless, a regular sample would never have the "FTPS" designation as that is reserved for player samples. Hope that helps!

-Mike

33bird
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
It does help. I've researched a ton the last two weeks about Game used Jordan shoes, and I agree with ya now. In fact, what I found was that the dating code on his supposed game used shoes is exactly the same as the tagging and dating codes on his retail shoes. It only makes sense that an FTPS (player sample) would only be put on his shoes and not the retail shoes. When I first told the guy selling them they weren't real he was pissed. He said Charles Oakley got these from MJ right after a game, he signed them, gave them to Oakley, and Oakley gave them to me. They have to be real! Anyway, I apologized and bought them later when I found out the truth about Air Jordan shoe tagging. I'm not saying real MJ game used shoes can't have the dating code-they can-but I prefer the FTPS sample tagging since you'll never see those at retail stores. Thanks guys.
Greg