PDA

View Full Version : Player reaction to your collection

joelsabi
08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Like to hear some stories if you have shared your collections with the player that you collect. How did you share you collection? (photos or actually seen your collection) What was the players reaction to you collection? Were there items in your collction that the players recognized? were their items that the players would like to own themselves that is in your collection. thanks in advance.

orioles03
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
i went to the super bowl xxxv show this past march i had a collection of patrick johnson game used stuff i had two ravens jerseys one from 2000 the other from 2001 i had a toronto agros jersey he wore in 2007 and a throwback redskins helmet. i pulled them out of the bag for him to sign the stuff he just looked at all the jerseys and helmet asking how i got the stuff. he said i have more stuff than he does .he was more amazed with the cfl jersey he said he just saw that in his locker when he was in toronto the month before i told him i bought it from the team. he took the helmet said this was the helmet i wore he looked it over and says it looks good .i talked to him for about a half hour

uwmrules09
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I collect gu items of Carlos Villanueva one of the pitchers on the Brewers, I have personally shown him my collection and he was just amazed at the stuff I have. He really thinks its cool and we kind of developed a friendship as well b/c I would take pictures when he pitched and give him 8x10s and stuff. Last year he hooked me up with a pair of his cleats after the last game of the season and this year he told me he was going to get me his pitching glove. I have a gu jersey of his from every team he has played for from High A to MLB, I am only missing a jersey from Low A Beloit Snappers.

grandpahoo
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I collect gu items of Carlos Villanueva one of the pitchers on the Brewers, I have personally shown him my collection and he was just amazed at the stuff I have. He really thinks its cool and we kind of developed a friendship as well b/c I would take pictures when he pitched and give him 8x10s and stuff. Last year he hooked me up with a pair of his cleats after the last game of the season and this year he told me he was going to get me his pitching glove. I have a gu jersey of his from every team he has played for from High A to MLB, I am only missing a jersey from Low A Beloit Snappers.

I recently had Jamie Sharper sign 8 different items for me at a local autograph show. He didn't ask his attorneys to get a restraining order against me until after he had signed everything, which I thought was pretty nice of him.

orioles03
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I recently had Jamie Sharper sign 8 different items for me at a local autograph show. He didn't ask his attorneys to get a restraining order against me until after he had signed everything, which I thought was pretty nice of him.
did you go to the v-xxxv show

BergerKing22784
08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Well I wish I could say I had like a really cool story involving this as I have had a few of my items signed by players but really not reaction given.

Kevin Millwood. I was able to pick up two Kevin Millwood game used Braves jerseys over the past year or so and when the Rangers came to Baltimore for the first time I was able to get them signed. I was able to get to into the stadium at the season ticket holder time and get a prime spot on the corner of the dugout where I could look into it and see all the players. A bunch of the players were already in the dugout at this time and I was holding my Millwood jersey on display so he would see it right when he came out. I actually seen a few of the players pointing at me talking about how I had acouple of Kevins jerseys. Kevin comes outta the clubhouse and I yell "Mr. Millwood" He doesnt look over but waves, Kevin proceeds to walk to the other end of the dugout and the players who were talking about the jerseys pointed me out to Kevin and he came over and signed them for me. He didnt really say much as I hear Kevin Millwood is a really shy guy, he thanked me for saying we miss him in Atlanta and than he went about his business. Oh yeah forgot to mention some guy named Josh Hamilton was standing right next to me signing autographs for people haha.

I was also able to get Chris Gomez to sign one of his game used bats after a game outside the stadium. He was trying to sneak away he has his kids and wife with him but when I yelled Mr. Gomez I have one of your bats he handed his child over to his wife and proceeded to sign. He didnt say nothing and I got his more rushed signature.

To be honest in both cases I was actually hoping to get a more positive response and a hey cool where did you get this? I was hoping it would strike up a conversation so I could let it be known to them I am trying to get as much game used stuff of theirs as possible that maybe just maybe they would offer me something else =) haha No such luck yet! I have since picked up a Kevin Millwood game used bat that pending the completition of my 20 page paper I might head down to Baltimore and try to catch him coming in the stadium to get him to sign it, hoping to plant that seed and hopefully he will give me more hahaha.

Fnazxc0114
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
kevin is really good about signing at the ball park here in texas. he should be easy to get up in baltimore. congrats on the millwood gamers.

skyking26
08-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Of all the hundreds of things I have slid thru Dave Kingman's fingers over the years, I am always taken aback by his lack of interest! From time to time he will stop on a photo that he may like and want me to copy for him; or he may comment "where on earth do you find this stuff " as he shakes his head...

Only a few times has he commented on equipment:
*'87 Firebird's AAA helmet: He asked where I got it, I responded that his mgr Wendel Kim sold it as soon as he left the team and I bought it. Inquired price, shook his head when I told him $75 (1989). He acknowledged it to be his.

*Oakland A's Road '85 pants - commented in amazement that they were indeed his.

*Adirondack Bats - "seldom used them unless I was in a slump, trying something different." Well, from the photos I have with him using them with every team - he was in a slump often!

*Converse cleats: "never wore these." Unrolled a SI poster with him wearing them. He just shook his head.

island_style
08-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Shane Victorino did a baseball clinic here on Oahu earlier this year. Cool, he's back here in Hawaii, and I thought he would enjoy meeting his local fans. When I got there he was sitting in the back of a pick-up truck signing autographs. I brought some items to get signed (left the already signed items at home): a helmet, four bats, a jersey and a pair of pants. I told him that I was a big fan and that I have more items at home. The guy sitting next to him said to me, "Wow, that's cool! How'd you get all that?" Victorino unenthusiastically said, "Hell if I know." He also said at one point, "Man, I am done with signing!" with other people still in line (and it wasn't like it was a long line, either). I didn't even bother to ask to take a picture with him.

I must have caught him on a bad day. I hope other people's experience with him were better.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

camarokids
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Back in 1998 or 1999 by the dugout at The Trop in St. Petersburg. McGriff was signing autographs, I pulled out a picture of my bat collection to show him.

What did McGriff do??? He signed the picture I handed to him and then just kept on signing autographs ......

grandpahoo
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
did you go to the v-xxxv show

Yep. I have a football that I'd already had most of the guys sign back in 2000, and was able to get a few more signatures on that. But mainly I went for Sharper and Anthony Poindexter (who ended up not making it because of a conflict with a UVA football practice).

BergerKing22784
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
It is kinda amazing that none of us really have a real positive story to say when it comes to this. I would expect someone would be amazed some of us are willing to pay big bucks for their items and not all of us are just people trying to make a buck off them and that we are willing to pay lots of money for stuff that they touched cause we idolize them.

mariner_gamers
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I have had several less than pleasant encounters usually a smug "where'd you get this?" but two positive reactions I got were from Dave Valle and Julio Cruz.

In 2000 or 2001 I took 4 Valle bats to a signing he was sponsoring at a local mall for his charity Esperanza. One of the bats was a Ken Phelps model M110 with VAL on the knob. Even though he was extremely busy he took time and chatted with me about every bat and was more than happy to sign them all. I asked about the Phelps and he said, "Digger always got the good wood so we all used to use his bats" He was amazed I had one of his bats let alone 4.

Julio Cruz was with his young son at 2001 All-Star Fanfest in Seattle. I had a box of old Mariners gamers under a dealers table just in case. Of course in the midst of everything going on I spot Cruz walking the floor. I had 3 of his bats with me and quickly dug them out. When I approached him he was engaged in conversation with a friend. His son asked, "do you want to talk to my dad?" I said, "yeah, I have a few of his bats I would like him to sign." His son looked amazed and then proceed to interupt his father's conversation. "Dad, this guy has some of your bats he would like you to sign." Julio looked at me and the bats as if I had just landed from Mars. He looked over and swung everyone of them with a huge smile on his face. Then he told his son, "see I told you dad used to be in the majors!" Any how I offered him one to keep and he declined. He started to sign the first bat on the back and I asked if he would mind signing the front. He looked at me baffled and asked, "why would you want to see my auto on the bat? Won't it detract from the display?" I assured him it would display much better with his auto visible!

geoff
08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Last Year Brian Roberts did a Signing at a Local Store.I took 1 of my Game Used Bats to get signed.I walked up to him at the table and placed the Bat down and he grabed it and looked at it.I asked him if he used it and would sign Game Used on the bat.He told me he probely used the bat but could not sign Game Used because he was not cetain.He told me he used so many different Bats since he was a Rookie.I said okay and he signed the bat.He was nice about it though and not a jerk.

grandpahoo
08-08-2008, 09:37 AM
It is kinda amazing that none of us really have a real positive story to say when it comes to this. I would expect someone would be amazed some of us are willing to pay big bucks for their items and not all of us are just people trying to make a buck off them and that we are willing to pay lots of money for stuff that they touched cause we idolize them.

For what it's worth, I was just being dumb. Jamie Sharper was very nice and thought it was cool that I'd been able to track down one of his practice jerseys. When I told him about a research project I'm doing on the UVA football team, he gave me his email address and told me to to get in touch with him if there was anything I thought he could help me with. Great guy and completely down to earth.