PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Foul or HR Ball in the stands

joelsabi
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
What is the most money you have seen a person offer for a foul ball or hr baseball in the stands? Just curious. How much and who hit it. Was the offer accepted or not.

cardinals0103
08-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I was at a Royals game few years back when they were playing the Yankees.

Derek Jeter got hit, then Arod hit a foul ball which I ended up with. So the GU ball I got was a Derek Jeter base hit and an Arod foul ball. Some guy in my section offered me a brand new Official MLB but I refused.

ifirocked
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I bought a David Wright HR ball in Detroit on 6-9-07 for $60. Top of the 8th, HR #11 on the season. The kid being a Tiger fan did not seem too sad to part with the ball. On an item like this it's more for me then anything else as you can't prove it being THE HR ball.

godwulf
08-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I've never actually seen it done...but I think about it whenever one of my team's players hits a HR in another ballpark, and the home town fan who caught it bows to that (imo) silly pressure to "throw it back". I always think that if I were near that person, I'd offer them some money for the ball. I'd probably start at 20 bucks (assuming I had that much in my wallet) and go up from there, as necessary; how high would depend on how much I liked the guy who hit it, I guess. If I had that much cash on me, I can see myself paying as much as $100 for a HR ball hit by Conor Jackson, Mark Reynolds or Orlando Hudson. Just about anybody else on the team, $40-$60 would be my max.

cardinals0103
08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I was at a Royals game few years back when they were playing the Yankees.

Derek Jeter got hit, then Arod hit a foul ball which I ended up with. So the GU ball I got was a Derek Jeter base hit and an Arod foul ball. Some guy in my section offered me a brand new Official MLB but I refused.

Here's a picture of the ball. one of the most beat up game used balls I have in my collection.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/cardinals0103/Random/DJARBall.jpg

ironmanfan
08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I was at the games in June, 1996 @ Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City when Cal Ripken Jr. tied & passed Japan's Sachio Kinugasa (sp?) for the all time ironman record of 2215 consecutive games. In the record breaking game, Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball in the seats, which I purchased off the fan who caught it for $50. Fortunately, I knew the agent that Kinugasa was using and actually caught a ride back to the hotel afterwards with him & had him sign it with the "2215" notation on the sweet spot and subsequently had Cal sign it with a "2216" notation. If anyone would care, I could post a picture of it. I know it has to be the only GU ball from that game autographed by both.

whhp72@yahoo.com

cigarman44
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I was at the games in June, 1996 @ Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City when Cal Ripken Jr. tied & passed Japan's Sachio Kinugasa (sp?) for the all time ironman record of 2215 consecutive games. In the record breaking game, Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball in the seats, which I purchased off the fan who caught it for $50. Fortunately, I knew the agent that Kinugasa was using and actually caught a ride back to the hotel afterwards with him & had him sign it with the "2215" notation on the sweet spot and subsequently had Cal sign it with a "2216" notation. If anyone would care, I could post a picture of it. I know it has to be the only GU ball from that game autographed by both.

whhp72@yahoo.com

Id love to see it. Sounds like a cool piece

orioles03
08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
when i was bat boy i had some one offer me ravens tickets for a foul ball jeter hit against the screen. i just gave him the ball but he took my phone number about a month later he called me and gave me club seats for a ravens game he was a big car dealer in the baltimore area.
another time a player hit a foul ball matt stover was sitting in the stands next to the dugout i got a foul ball i gave it to him for his son he sent me a pair of cleats the next week.

the most i was ever offered for a ball was $100 which i refused i just gave him a ball.

the best was sorry if i sound mean but this is the story the red sox were in town the last series before the playoffs in 2004 we had a double header back to back there was a annoying fat lady sitting in the first row she was yelling the whole time annoying all the players in the red sox dug out so someone hits a foul ball it rolls to the wall the lady tries to reach over the fence she cannot reach it i run out pick up the ball the whole stadium boos me i go back in the dugout she is bothering me during the game her husband is threatning the players to give her the ball pedro gives her a beach ball instead.her husband said he was going to wait at top of ramp after i get off work to beat me up because i embarrassed his wife
sorry it was so long but pretty funny
posted this in wrong section

Vintagedeputy
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
orioles03 - can you enable your pm's? I want to ask you something.

Jim

orioles03
08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
orioles03 - can you enable your pm's? I want to ask you something.

Jim
i think i got turned them on if not email me
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

bigtruck260
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
McGwire home run ball in 1998. I want to say it was number 3 - against the Padres at Busch. I will never forget...I locked my keys in my car with it running. It ran the WHOLE game in the parking garage. I think Gwynn hit a homer that day too.

Anyway, the kid that ended up with the ball (after it rolled, etc.) ended up selling it to an older lady for $500 - CASH.

She literally pulled out a wad of bills and put it in the kid's face.

cohibasmoker
08-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Last year at Fenway Park, during batting practice, there were a couple of young blond females halking baseballs by the Red Sox bullpen. By the time game time came along, they walked away with about 6-7 baseballs.

When they walked by my wife and I, I offered one of the girls $10.00 for a baseball. She said yes and I bought a very nice OAL baseball with nice use for $10.00. Not a bad deal at all.

Jim

ironmanfan
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Since I had 3-4 members e-mail me and ask for pictures of the ball, I thought I'd just post them here. An interesting sidelight to this is that I originally approached Cal to sign this ball a few years ago in the Press Box at Ripken Stadium and being the perfectionist he is, I explained what the ball was & handed him the ball & a blue ink pen, he told me to wait until he could find a black ink pen because he wanted to match the ink color of the Kinugasa signature (he actually walked away & came back like 5 minutes later with the black ink pen)...Anyway, these pictures aren't the best, but gives you a general idea....

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/bb003.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/bb002.jpg

Swoboda4
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
This year,Cinncinnati at Mets. Ken Griffey Jr hit a foul into the lodge section. I'm a portal away and go over to the kid (18 yrs old?)who was with his friend and I offered him $100. His friend looked at me like I was crazy but he said no. Then his friend looked at him like he was crazy. It would worth that much only because Griffey hit it and I can guarantee with my own eyes that's the ball

joelsabi
05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I bought a David Wright HR ball in Detroit on 6-9-07 for $60. Top of the 8th, HR #11 on the season. The kid being a Tiger fan did not seem too sad to part with the ball. On an item like this it's more for me then anything else as you can't prove it being THE HR ball.

did you document the transfer of ownership during the game? what did ask for in documentation when you bought it.

Mr.3000
05-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Ifirocked. Email me please.

gingi79
05-27-2009, 07:22 PM
If I was at the game and saw a home run coming towards my section hit by Chipper Jones, I'd offer $100 to the person who caught it. In fact, I think I'd offer $75 for anyone I root for (like 20 different guys) It would mean a lot to me for a foul ball also but mostly because I was there at the game when it happened. I think that is the coolest memento you can get and hey, you will never forget the game right?

DonTheLegend
05-27-2009, 07:48 PM
in the late 1990's, and towards the end of Ray Lankfords "good" years, i offered a guy $250 cash for a homerun that Ray had just hit.

the guy instantly said "no thanks" and i dont think he would have given it up for more had i offered it.

on a similar note, the Cardinals have a "shirt off their back" day every year and i followed a young boy and his grandparents out of the stadium and offered $500 cash to him. he stared at me like i was pulling his leg and when i pulled out the cash the grandmother politely said "no, he's a big Cardinals fan".

....you know what, im a big Cardinals fan too but im also a huge fan of money. i think about that jersey alot and wonder how many times that kid a wore it or even took kit out of the box in the attic.

DonTheLegend
05-27-2009, 07:52 PM
...not for nothing, but the jersey the boy had won was none other than a Lankford (needless to say).

rj_lucas
05-27-2009, 08:17 PM

whhp72@yahoo.com

Hey IMF, I was also at that game. I had a good telephoto lens, so I have a couple of shots with Ripken and Kinugasa standing together in case you wanted one to display with your ball. If so, shoot me an email and I can upload some high-res scans for you. You've got some great items by the way.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

michael47
05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I tried this a few times in the late 70's & early 80's. I was able to buy a few homerun balls at Yankee & Shea Stadium. My favorite was a Reggie Jackson homerun in July 1979 against Oakland. I was about to approach the man who caught the ball who was about 10 rows in front of me when he suddenly turned around, held the ball up in the air & offerred to sell the ball. I offerred $10 but he asked for $20. I started to walk away so he took the $10. I had Reggie sign the ball 12 years later & asked if he remembered the homerun but he did not. I also picked up a Schmidt & Kingman at Shea Stadium along with a few others.

sox83cubs84
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Although I've been turned down many times, as well, I've picked up home runs or foul balls from people for everything from cash ($20 is my standard opening offer) to BP baseballs (anywhere from 2 to 4 for 1) to a beer and a hot dog for a guy and his date (Richie Sexson Indians at Comiskey Park).

As far as jerseys go, a 1987 Robin Yount home Brewers gamer was raffled off on Fan Appreciation Night, old County Stadium, in 1987. The winner was about ten sections down, and I offered him $200 for it. The guy couldn't grab the money fast enough.:D Problem was, I made the mistake of mentioning it in my old SCD column. At the same event in 1988, several copycats imitated my request, some of whom had more to spend than I did.:mad:

Dave M.
Chicago area

cordovacollector
05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Buyer beware though ... as you all know. But usually you can tell by looking at the person. I knew a guy in the stands that was slicker than axle grease and would sell the same home run or foul ball or BP HR to five different people. And he did it a lot of times within a series when a big name was in town.

suicide_squeeze
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I am a 500 home run game used collector. After Manny was traded to the Dodgers last year, I was VERY interested in obtaining one of his game used items that was available......um......that would ONLY be a home run ball hit into the seats.

So....I came up with a plan. I pre-typed "Letter of Affidavits" with all the facts of the game (date, teams, location-Dodger Stadium, starting pitchers, etc.) and put the facts of what number Manny's home run would be....if he were to hit it that night/day. OH....and there were lines typed in at the bottom for "witnesses" who I had fill in their contact info. Iron-clad, baby!:cool: I also tried to obtain the ticket stub from the fan who caught the ball as part of the agreement to sell me the ball(s). That of course added to the provenance too.

Well, I ended up buying three. In all three cases, I paid OVER $1,000.00 each. The most expensive one was a milestone tying monster, and I actually had to go toe-to-toe with Dodger brass to get my hands on that one. It's a real interesting story, and after I document it in writing, I'll post it here for you all to read. That one, I paid several thousands for, because I had to battle a couple of other "players" who were interested in the very same ball.

But after all, these are well documented, authentic Manny Ramirez home runs. In all three cases, there is a video of the ball going into the seats, and all of the recipients I purchased the balls from can be seen on MLB footage. I took pictures of the balls, the fans who caught them, and the letters of affidavits at the game.

It's very gratifying knowing you have preserved for the ages a few nice pieces of authentic baseball history for future collectors to own....if desired.

At Manny's first signing in Los Angeles, I will be sure to have him sign each ball on the sweetspot.....and I will NOT tell him what they are until after he signs them. I have learned, over the years from attending signings.....when a major player learns you have something special, or valuable of their, they will do one of two things:

- ask for much more to sign it, because they know they can get it;

- outright refuise to sign it, if they have an attitude about their perceived belief "How do I know that's what you claim it is?"

On second thought, I may not even tell him AFTER he signs them.....why stir the pot. It may just make things more difficult for other collectors in the future in regards to his attitude towards these kinds of items.

joelsabi
05-28-2009, 12:12 AM
- ask for much more to sign it, because they know they can get it;

- outright refuise to sign it, if they have an attitude about their perceived belief "How do I know that's what you claim it is?"

suicide,

in your case, wouldnt it be worth it to pay that extra to get a nice insciption on your hr ball. you have already paid so much. why not have photo proof to show manny what you have. seems ashame to only have his signature on it.

what do you think?

jobathenut
05-28-2009, 01:03 AM
This is a great thread,as i have a story.My brother was proberly the biggest paul moltor fan.And when molitor was with the blue jays and he would come play in minnesota,my brother would go see him play.And he always wanted to get a home run ball hit from him.It was his dream,so he always made sure he had extra money with him when he saw moltior play as he said,"i'll pay anything for the ball he hits".Well one game when i was with him, his dream came true,as molitor hit a home run.And my brother took off from our seats by the jays dugout.And my other brother was asking,"where you going,jason?".And i told him (as i knew as soon as mollly hit it),"he is going to buy that baseball from whoever caught it".So i went with him and we tracked down where it landed, as he kept asking where it went etc.And he was able to track down the guy who caught it and offered the guy $300 for it,and the guy said no to it.I could'nt believe it when my brother came back and said that.My brother always thought $200 would be good enough to buy it, and i added $100 just to make sure he would be able to get it,as i thought that is a offer anyone would take.Wow, i could'nt believe it when he came back up to me empty handed.And he had the saddest look i had ever seen on his face,he was so depressed,and it took away from the fun of the game,as he just wanted to leave at that point.I was so upset i almost went down there and yelled at the guy for upsetting my brother.i was able to talk him into staying for the game.We got back to our seats and my other brother said,"wheres the ball?",and i said, "the guy turned him down so that his dog could chew up and play with the ball when the guy got home,he passed on $300 for a chew toy for his dog,or for the ball to end up under his couch or laying in his garage somewhere",and that cheered up my brother as he laughed.But to this day,even though that was many years ago,if i mention him that game to him,man,he still gets mad about it:)
What is the most money you have seen a person offer for a foul ball or hr baseball in the stands? Just curious. How much and who hit it. Was the offer accepted or not.

David
05-28-2009, 01:18 AM
If you had the game ticket and proof you bought the ball (check?) that would be reasonable evidence of authenticity, as who would pay $60 for ball at the ball park that was not game used?

joelsabi
05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
This is a great thread,as i have a story.My brother was proberly the biggest paul moltor fan.And when molitor was with the blue jays and he would come play in minnesota,my brother would go see him play.And he always wanted to get a home run ball hit from him.It was his dream,so he always made sure he had extra money with him when he saw moltior play as he said,"i'll pay anything for the ball he hits".Well one game when i was with him, his dream came true,as molitor hit a home run.And my brother took off from our seats by the jays dugout.And my other brother was asking,"where you going,jason?".And i told him (as i knew as soon as mollly hit it),"he is going to buy that baseball from whoever caught it".So i went with him and we tracked down where it landed, as he kept asking where it went etc.And he was able to track down the guy who caught it and offered the guy $300 for it,and the guy said no to it.I could'nt believe it when my brother came back and said that.My brother always thought $200 would be good enough to buy it, and i added $100 just to make sure he would be able to get it,as i thought that is a offer anyone would take.Wow, i could'nt believe it when he came back up to me empty handed.And he had the saddest look i had ever seen on his face,he was so depressed,and it took away from the fun of the game,as he just wanted to leave at that point.I was so upset i almost went down there and yelled at the guy for upsetting my brother.i was able to talk him into staying for the game.We got back to our seats and my other brother said,"wheres the ball?",and i said, "the guy turned him down so that his dog could chew up and play with the ball when the guy got home,he passed on $300 for a chew toy for his dog,or for the ball to end up under his couch or laying in his garage somewhere",and that cheered up my brother as he laughed.But to this day,even though that was many years ago,if i mention him that game to him,man,he still gets mad about it:)

great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.

joelsabi
05-28-2009, 10:12 AM
If you had the game ticket and proof you bought the ball (check?) that would be reasonable evidence of authenticity, as who would pay $60 for ball at the ball park that was not game used?

what does everything think of a check as evidence. put some type of notation on the check and keep the cancelled check as evidence. dont think it can stand alone but its better than paying with cash. on the other hand, who is going to take a check at ballpark from a complete stranger. you may stop payment so cash would seem to be choice in this situation.

suicide_squeeze
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
suicide,

in your case, wouldnt it be worth it to pay that extra to get a nice insciption on your hr ball. you have already paid so much. why not have photo proof to show manny what you have. seems ashame to only have his signature on it.

what do you think?

Joel........Pro's and con's on the issue....

If you go meet someone of Manny's stature, walk up to him and say "Hey Manny! Nice to meet you! I have three of your home-run balls here I'd like you to sign"....Then pull out the pictures, all of the supporting paperwork, ticket stubs....:eek:

All of a sudden, they find themselves overwhelmed with becoming put in a position of having to make an on-the-spot decision of whether or not this pile you just dumped in their lap is authentic. There is severe risk in that, because if they cop an attitude (like Barry Bonds does in this circumstance), he may flat out refuse to sign the item with the inscription. Or, he may ask for a bunch more money because of what it is... which to me would be worth it.

But in rare cases, the player may refuse to sign it at all. In that case, you're screwed....even though you know it's real, and you have all the supporting proof. What you have to do is talk to people in line ahead of you that have already had him sign something....get a "feel" of what kind of a mood he's in, etc. Sometimes, it's all about catching the player on a "good day".

I have had a tough go with Willie Mays on a home run bat of his I own, one that came with a lettle (on Giants stationary no less, signed by Willie Mays attesting to the bat's use to hit the identified home run!) but after three attempts, and well over $2,500.00 cash offered to him, I got him to sign (on one occasion) the bat, and a separate occasion to inscribe it! I believe it's the only documented home run bat of Willie's in the hobby.:D
But that's another story...and man, it was a nerve-racking battle. But in the end, Willie knew the whole time where the bat came from, what it was......he was just holding out for the "cash".:rolleyes:

So....to anyone who is made of money, if you really want that one fine piece to add to your collection.....the old addage "everyone has their price" is usually true. Just be prepared to anty-up, because these guys can really catch you off guard if you are presenting them with a piece that has value. They usually know this, and they make you pay! But getting the player, if you can, to add the inscription Joel??.....is priceless. In the end, it's ALWAYS worth it, because you've just added another wonderful piece to this hobby we all love.

suicide_squeeze
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM

With all due respect, I don't know of any fan who would be crazy enough to accept a "check" for a home run ball they had just caught or run down... for obvious reasons.

The only way you are going to separate a fan from a baseball piece like that is too stick cold hard cash in the form of $100.00 bills in his face.

There is no instant gratification in a "check". What guarantee would the fan who gave up the ball even have that the check would clear? Why would he want to place himself in the position of having to track down a bum who gave him a bogus check for a home run ball he could have kept?

Just too many "issues" with the scenario.

Just a word of advice to anyone going to a game in search of a homerun ball......bring a wad of cash, or forget it.

xpress34
05-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Suicide -

I agree with you that getting the Inscription is ALWAYS worth it... unfortunately, all three players you used as examples are well know for their bizarre behavior, bad attitudes, etc...

I have 4 GU Items that I had signed in person and Inscribed (except for one) by the players and each one was very easy going...

The 1st one is one of my prized possessions in my Matt Holliday Collection - Matt's GU 2007 WS Hat... Matt knows me pretty well and when I presented the hat to him with the LOA from the Rockies, he said he was happy that I had the hat since he knows how much of his stuff I collect and inscribed it 1st WS 2007 Game Used!!!

The 2nd one is a Set Smith GU WS Hat (maybe the one he was wearing just before putting on his batting helmet to be the last out of the 2007 WS)... I took it to ST in 2008 with the LOA from the Rox and Seth started laughing and checking the hat out (along with Joe Koshansky) and then asked me how in the hell I obtained his GU WS Hat. I told him I bought it directly from the Rockies DugOut store and he said he alwasy wondered what happened to their stuff the last game of the season! He then signed and inscibed it Game Used.

3rd is a Garrett Atkins 2004 Hat w/ the Flag patch which means it is from Labor Day weekend when Garrett was recalled from the minors after their season ended in August. I took it to ST this year with the Rox LOA... as Garrett was going to the Locker Room, a few guys were calling for him and he was ignoring them - I mentioned I had a GU Hat, he turned around, came over, looked at it and the LOA, signed it - no inscription - never said a word, signed a crad for the guy to my L and signed a ball for the guy to my R and then left. He's a very interesting player - doesn't say much and is very aloof about signing in general.

Finally, my most recent - a GU Batting Glove from Dexter Fowler... I asked Dex on Opening Day and finally one day out back of Coors Field, he pulls over and throws a glove to me (he said he has to find the mate in his truck)... the next day, he stopped to sign for some guys and I had him sign the glove and asked him to inscribe it... he started laughing about the GU inscription and I told him it was going in the collection. He was like 'cool' and signed and inscribed it...

Every player is different and unique, that is for sure...

- Chris

sox83cubs84
05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Of those $20 home run ball purchases I mentioned earlier in the thread, the best was a fairly early (c.1996) Sammy Sosa dinger at Wrigley Field. A semi-homeless guy ran it down on Waveland Avenue, and a bleacher fan called down to offer him $5 for it. I was in the adjacent family section, and shouted down an offer of $20, and made the purchase through the left field gate of the ballpark.:D

Dave M.
Chicago area

David
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
I said "(check?)" not "check." At least I didn't say credit card.

suicide_squeeze
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I said "(check?)" not "check." At least I didn't say credit card.

David,

Gotcha. Wasn't intending to do anything other to let everybody know the "cash" avenue is the way to go.

The best thing is pictures. Properly establish documentation and recording of the event through pictures and written documents....get witnesses. Those types of proof are tough to discredit.

Chris (express34),

Cool items, and yes, you've definately picked the correct hombres to obtain your inscriptions from. Sounds like the model citizen's group in MLB.

That was my main point earlier. In our fine hobby, the higher up the food chain you get in players, the tougher the "inscription" attempt is going to be.....and the more expensive.

Add to that the "event" you are trying to get them to notate, and it can approach downright "impossible" without father-LUCK on your side with some of these guys.

In my case, I am not attempting to have them essentially "authenticate" a game worn item by them for many games, or even a series....but an actual ball they hit out of a park for a specific homerun. That is a stretch on their part to take the leap of faith that what I, as a collector, am presenting to them is real, and most of these superstars don't like to be put on the spot to sign it as such and authenticate it on such short notice and with lack of time to properly review the circumstances, paperwork, and such.

But that is what makes our hobby so fun. On those rare occasions we achieve the goal and get what we set out for, it just makes it that much sweeter when we go home and place another "museum piece" in our display. To me, there is NOTHING like having these little bits and pieces of game used items (with major significance) that tell a story, that are a little part of a major leaguers career, something to illicit a nice conversation with friends and family over the years while having a beer or get-together.

Cheers to our hobby and the athletes (and fans who like the cash:p ) who make it all possible!:)

jobathenut
05-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks joelsabi-yeah,but he really still gets mad,so when i do it,i have to prepare to be hit by him.And you're right,i bet as soon as my brother left hi,he was regretting doing it.I think he thought cause my brother offered so much,that it was worth something,and it was,to my brother.I can bet you anything the guy does'nt even know where it is now.Where my brother would have treasured it.Unlike what micheal douglas said in the movie "wall street","greed is good"is not always true:) quote=joelsabi;143140]great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.[/quote]

sox83cubs84
05-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks joelsabi-yeah,but he really still gets mad,so when i do it,i have to prepare to be hit by him.And you're right,i bet as soon as my brother left hi,he was regretting doing it.I think he thought cause my brother offered so much,that it was worth something,and it was,to my brother.I can bet you anything the guy does'nt even know where it is now.Where my brother would have treasured it.Unlike what micheal douglas said in the movie "wall street","greed is good"is not always true:) quote=joelsabi;143140]great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.[/quote]

That happened on one of my trades at New Comiskey Park, as my offer to a mom and her 4 kids for a Juan Gonzalez home run (she had 4 kids) was initially rejected by the mom under such pretenses. Fortunately, she gave in when the kids whined about not each having a baseball as opposed to sharing only one.

Dave M.
Chicago area

gamer35
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Joel........Pro's and con's on the issue....

If you go meet someone of Manny's stature, walk up to him and say "Hey Manny! Nice to meet you! I have three of your home-run balls here I'd like you to sign"....Then pull out the pictures, all of the supporting paperwork, ticket stubs....:eek:

All of a sudden, they find themselves overwhelmed with becoming put in a position of having to make an on-the-spot decision of whether or not this pile you just dumped in their lap is authentic. There is severe risk in that, because if they cop an attitude (like Barry Bonds does in this circumstance), he may flat out refuse to sign the item with the inscription. Or, he may ask for a bunch more money because of what it is... which to me would be worth it.

But in rare cases, the player may refuse to sign it at all. In that case, you're screwed....even though you know it's real, and you have all the supporting proof. What you have to do is talk to people in line ahead of you that have already had him sign something....get a "feel" of what kind of a mood he's in, etc. Sometimes, it's all about catching the player on a "good day".

I have had a tough go with Willie Mays on a home run bat of his I own, one that came with a lettle (on Giants stationary no less, signed by Willie Mays attesting to the bat's use to hit the identified home run!) but after three attempts, and well over $2,500.00 cash offered to him, I got him to sign (on one occasion) the bat, and a separate occasion to inscribe it! I believe it's the only documented home run bat of Willie's in the hobby.:D
But that's another story...and man, it was a nerve-racking battle. But in the end, Willie knew the whole time where the bat came from, what it was......he was just holding out for the "cash".:rolleyes:

So....to anyone who is made of money, if you really want that one fine piece to add to your collection.....the old addage "everyone has their price" is usually true. Just be prepared to anty-up, because these guys can really catch you off guard if you are presenting them with a piece that has value. They usually know this, and they make you pay! But getting the player, if you can, to add the inscription Joel??.....is priceless. In the end, it's ALWAYS worth it, because you've just added another wonderful piece to this hobby we all love.

Suicide Squeeze, good luck getting the balls signed. 1) Manny rarely makes public appearances. Last I know of was in 2004 right after the World Series in Boston 2) Odds are highly likely that you will get a sloppy MR signature. I have had stuff signed by Manny and its just a sloppy, rushed signature.

I dont know how other collectors feel, but I personally want my game used items unsigned. With Manny items, it is even more important not to have them signed as it detracts from the item.

David
05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
For proper authentication at ball parks, one should bring checkbook, notary public and video camera.

jobathenut
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
sox83cubs84-How much did you offer for the ball? I just think the $300 my brother offered was pretty good for a molitor home run ball.You figure getting game used baseballs was not that big of a collectible back then.And to us being kids,we thought that was alot of money and we really thought the guy would go for it,not to mention my brother explained to the guy what a big molly fan he was and how much the ball would mean to him.It takes a real peice of work to not sell the ball after being offered that and being told that.All i know if i was at a game and someone offered me that much money for a ball,(if it was from a player i didnt like) i would have no problem selling it to them,not to mention if i knew they were a fan of the player.:)

That happened on one of my trades at New Comiskey Park, as my offer to a mom and her 4 kids for a Juan Gonzalez home run (she had 4 kids) was initially rejected by the mom under such pretenses. Fortunately, she gave in when the kids whined about not each having a baseball as opposed to sharing only one.

Dave M.
Chicago area[/quote]

ifirocked
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
The real question for anyone is why Buy a ball from another fan ? For profit ? With the Wright HR ball i bought in 2007 for $60 i bought for myself. Walking out of a game with a HR ball is the top prize. I was at that game, David Wright hit a HR and i have the ball. That is good enough for me. Resale was not on my mind. It's sad when simple joys like a HR ball need 8 layers of paperwork for people to accept it. For me i say if you want a HR ball just go to a game and try to buy it from a fan. You were there, you saw the ball land, you know it's real. If resale is your game best of luck !!

Please note i am not bashing anyone on this post about resale or proof of HR balls.

sox83cubs84
05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Jobahtenut...as mentioned, it wasn't a cash deal with the mom...I noticed that she had 4 kids with her and figured giving each one a ball would trump having one ball for 4 kids. She was suspicious, but gave in when her kids began perstering her to trade.

As far as cash, my best offer was $50 for, of all things, a Scott Servais home run on Waveland Avenue that I was going to try to get for a friend who collected him. The owner, a male bus driver, declined.:(

Dave M.
Chicago area

both-teams-played-hard
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
A semi-homeless guy ran it down on Waveland Avenue...

And this semi-homeless guy has a wife who is "almost" pregnant.:D

jobathenut
05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry sox83cubs84-I missed understood what you wrote there.Funny thing is,why was the mom suspicious,like those kids even cared if the ball was game used or not,and i'm sure all of the balls were thrown under thier beds or played with when they got home with them.And i can't beleive that guy passed on $50 for the ball,my question always is,why?what are you going to do with it.Like i've said,unless i wanted to keep it for myself,(cause a player from my beloved yankees hit it) if anyone came up to me after i caught a ball and offered me anything especially like that $50,i would sell it.I really think that sometimes the people that refuse are doing it just cause you want it,or cause they think its worth something,simply cause you offered money for it.:)
Jobahtenut...as mentioned, it wasn't a cash deal with the mom...I noticed that she had 4 kids with her and figured giving each one a ball would trump having one ball for 4 kids. She was suspicious, but gave in when her kids began perstering her to trade.

As far as cash, my best offer was $50 for, of all things, a Scott Servais home run on Waveland Avenue that I was going to try to get for a friend who collected him. The owner, a male bus driver, declined.:(

Dave M.
Chicago area

nationals2k9
05-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I paid $80 cash for a Ryan Zimmerman HR ball last summer in Baltimore. Later had Ryan sign it and date it as a HR ball. One Andrew Lang is now the proud owner last I heard!

Vintagedeputy
05-29-2009, 09:24 PM
One Andrew Lang is now the proud owner last I heard!

Shocker! :)

panthrotc
06-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I was at the Troc last September for Evan Longoria's first career 3 HR game. I found a kid that caught the 2nd one. Offered him 700$ for the ball on the spot and he said no. Went to 800 and he said no. The kids he was with were raggin him for not selling it. ALways go to the ballpark with a Grand in your pocket. Like Ted DiBiase used to say EVERYBODYS GOT A PRICE

jobathenut
06-09-2009, 02:13 AM
And where do you think that ball is right now.I can almost guarentee it's laying under his bed,or he thought it's worth alot saying you offered so much for it,so he think if i hang onto it it will be worth more.But what the kid does'nt understand,it's only at it's higest value at the ball park,once you leave the value goes down like a ...never mind,i was going to be naughty.By the way,panthrotc-love the reference to the $$$$$$$$$$ man:)
I was at the Troc last September for Evan Longoria's first career 3 HR game. I found a kid that caught the 2nd one. Offered him 700$ for the ball on the spot and he said no. Went to 800 and he said no. The kids he was with were raggin him for not selling it. ALways go to the ballpark with a Grand in your pocket. Like Ted DiBiase used to say EVERYBODYS GOT A PRICE