PDA

View Full Version : Winfield GU cap

earlywynnfan
03-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I am NOT saying this is bad in any way, I'm just looking for help from all you hat collectors. AmMem has this Dave Winfield game worn cap, it looks great to me, but it's a size 7. Isn't that small? He's a giant of a man, does anyone know if he really does have a small head (or if he liked his caps really tight?)

Thanks, Ken

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=26088

suave1477
03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
First I would like to say about sizes of players that not as big as you may think or small as you think!!

I am 6'2 and I have met a quite of few players in my time and realized i wa bigger then a lot of them.

When you see there weight numbers , you have to compare them in height and also realize to the average person weight is different as it would appear on an athlete.There would be more fat on the average person and making him look frumpier as to a athlete he is muscle which stands up making him look thinner. Also realize fat and Muscle do weigh different!!!

So getting back to the question I met a couple of weeks ago Dave Winfield and even those he is somewhat of a big guy he wasnt that much bigger then me and his head seems pretty average. It did not look bigger due to his body size.

I know Jay Payton, he appears and looks on tv and photos to be big but he is smaller then me. Just giving an example!!!

suave1477
03-09-2006, 11:20 AM
By the way I wear 7 3/8

earlywynnfan
03-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. But Winfield supposedly went 6'6", 220. You are at 6'2", whatever. It doesn't follow to me that he would wear a hat smaller than you.

But, as everyone says, if I'm not comfortable, I won't bid!

Ken

suave1477
03-09-2006, 01:23 PM
well like i said i met him a few weeks ago and 6'6? I don't know if he is exactly that when he stood next to me he really didnt look 4 inches taller to me he looked about 2 maybe 3 inches taller.

As far as my point on weight, you say he is 220 - which is nothing!! I am about 225 to 235 and on me i am not fat at all.

So if he is 220 at about 6'6 she is small it would be possible his hat size could be a 7

BULBUS
03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
there is no way he could wear a size 7. that is pretty small. i'm 6 foot, 185. i wear a 7 3/8.

hblakewolf
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Hold on........

Let me put this to rest.

Kirk Gibson wore a size 6 7/8 hat.

Enough said.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Howard great point!!!!

Bulbus see it is possible, you have to realize the fat on your body does play a role in the size of your head beleive it or not. I am on average 7 3/8 but when i go through my diet and work out regimins. I lose weight and with that my hats do get a lot looser.

Yankwood
03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
As long as we're all chiming in on this, I'm 6'3" and I weigh about 240. Probably all but 25 pounds of that is loose, sloppy fat. I'm disgusting. My hat size seems to waver between a 7 3/8 to 7 5/8 based on just how disgustingly blobbish I am at the time. So maybe it's pct. of body fat and not weight that determines whether you're a fathead or not. Kirk Gibson looked to be in good shape and had a peanut head. I, on the other hand am a larda$$ and have a bucket head.

BULBUS
03-09-2006, 02:40 PM
i always knew my head was on the big size, but a size 7 on someone who is 6'6", that is a peanut head!

looking back at am's closed autions, they had a dave winfield g/u hat that was a size 7 3/4. that is a pretty big difference, no matter how much you work out!

http://americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=6107

suave1477
03-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Now thats scary, how can they sell one hat at 7 3/4 at one end of the spectrum and another at hat 7 and say they are both game used it is ibvious then one if a fake!!! and I would say then it is more likely the 7 3/4 one is probably the real one.

hblakewolf
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
i always knew my head was on the big size, but a size 7 on someone who is 6'6", that is a peanut head!

looking back at am's closed autions, they had a dave winfield g/u hat that was a size 7 3/4. that is a pretty big difference, no matter how much you work out!

http://americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=6107

Let me understand this correctly.

American Memorabila has now offered 2 Winfield hats, one size 7 and one size 7 3/4, both from the Yankees and both manufactured by New Era (just pointing ou that the size should be the same or extremely close). Add this to the fact that Lou Lampson provided his LOA on both hats, and I'm about ready to puke!

Sad at best.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

BULBUS
03-09-2006, 03:05 PM
i already puked (in my hat)! good thing i dont have a peanut head. there wasnt any overflow :eek:

i sent an email to am alerting them of this issue. we'll see if they reply.

this makes it hard for me to bid on anything :(

suave1477
03-09-2006, 03:14 PM
bulbus go read my post on game used discussion

trsent
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Let me think this one through, AMI doesn't post on these forums, and you think you can call them up and question an item that you have decided to police and they are going to be nice to you?

Let's see, you called them after this thread started, and they hung up on you? What a surprise, did you think they were going to say something like, "You are right, that hat is bad, you posted on GUU that it is fake so we will end our auction because you know more than our authenticator, Lou Lampson."

I am sorry, sometimes people make me laugh because they think they can police all these auction houses (eBay included) and they want to know they are right in every situation.

Personally, Howard Wolf keeps telling everyone to do their own homework before buying an item. What a great idea, and if people don't do their homework they may end up with a hat that someone thinks isn't genuine, but they didn't do their homework so what can we do about it?

I personally am not going to lose any sleep over it.

suave1477
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Trsent excuse me? i must ask you something have you heard of professional courtesy. Yes thats exactly what I would expect them to say or how about this" Sir I will have someone look into it " at least be generic / dam he just gave me attitude and hung up on me like i was one of his friends.

In business if you want to survive no matter what yo have to treat your current and future customers nice at all costs.

I am in sales and i am very sucessful at what i do, so trust me i do know.

trsent
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
So, call AMI back and ask to speak to the owner of the company and discuss the situation with them. I hate being hung up on myself, but I can tell you if you question an item they have for sale on this forum they may not respond when you call because they were not first contacted.

I know it doesn't make a difference, but were you thinking about buying this cap ever?

Someone has to play the other side, my friend, or we will all get big heads with no Devil's advocate.

Nathan
03-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm 5'11" and about 215 with a size 7 5/8 hat. Just more food for thought on the idea of whether or not hat size corresponds with physical size. Frankly, that rings true as much as the "Well, if a man has big feet/big hands/big nose....."

Don't forget how much of a difference hair thickness can make as well. Depending on hair length, thickness, and racial/ethnic makeup, that can represent a sizable size divergence.

MSpecht
03-10-2006, 01:32 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/egautographs/DAVEWINFIELD.jpghttp://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/oscar_gamble_autograph.jpg

Let's consider this....Winfield and Oscar Gamble were teammates on the Padres in 1978 and on the Yankees from 1981 through 1984. Obviously they had a friendship after being long-time teammates, certainly comfortable enough to borrow each others clothes. Most likely Winfield forgot his hat one day and borrowed one of Gamble's from his early yankee days, hence the jump to a size 7 3/4 for Winfield. Maybe the larger hat was authenticated as a two-player game used hat, Gamble and Winfield........ Just a thought
http://www.baseball-fever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3556&stc=1&d=1126807380

trsent
03-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Do you like the airbrush job on the Gamble card above?

Him and Ritchie Zisk back in 1977 were the reason I became a White Sox fan. They were fun that one year Bill Veeck took a bunch on players in the last year of their contract.