PDA

View Full Version : Yankees trade for Pudge Rodriguez

3arod13
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Yankees trade for Pudge Rodriguez

markize
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. the yankees have a habit of getting guys at the end of their careers though. why not focus some of the $$ into making the pitching staff solid

yanks12025
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
The yankees needed a everyday catcher with Jorge out for the year.

markize
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
i agree they needed an everyday catcher, but pudge has only 5 home runs, and 32 rbi. that's not much more than the catchers they have now. plus the season is nearing october, and the yankees have only 2 left handed pitchers, and one is a starter. they need left handed relievers, and setup guys

ham1963
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
hey they have to get to the playoffs 1st

markize
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
hey they have to get to the playoffs 1st

very good point!!

Vintagedeputy
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Another steal for the Yankees

Granted, he's a 2 month rental but getting him in exchange for a so-so middle reliever who just happens to be having a pretty decent season is still a steal. Understandably, Pudge won't want to play second fiddle to Jorge next year. At age 37 Pudge knows that he has a great shot at a championship or 2 in the next few years if he signs on as a back up catcher/DH.

Good steal, Cashman!

Tigerfan
07-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I am a big Tigerfan, and this does come as somewhat of a surprise as Pudge's batting was improving lately (302 lifetime). however he becomes a free agent at the end of this season. and the Tigers have been sharing the catching duties between Pudge and Brandon Inge.
This trade makes some sense in that the Tigers needed a new closer after demoting Todd Jones this week, ( should have done it sooner), and the Yankees are in need of a catcher with Posada's seaason ending surgery. The Yankees probably approached the Tigers for Pudge.
Really hate to see Pudge go as he was a big lift for the Tigers since he has been there.
Funny thing is I just received my Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Detroit Tigers Game Used Bat Yesterday!

PudgePollyMillerFan
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Don't like it a bit....but I am a huge Pudge fan.......the only bright spot is I am VERY happy I picked up his entire game worn uniform (Pants/Hat/Jersey) last year from the Tigers......his jersey from the Yanks will run....oh...about $10,000 more now.

suave1477
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Another steal for the Yankees

Granted, he's a 2 month rental but getting him in exchange for a so-so middle reliever who just happens to be having a pretty decent season is still a steal. Understandably, Pudge won't want to play second fiddle to Jorge next year. At age 37 Pudge knows that he has a great shot at a championship or 2 in the next few years if he signs on as a back up catcher/DH.

Good steal, Cashman!

Vintage I wish I could share your enthusiasm but I am a Yankees fan and I think everyone is missing the big picture which some have pointed out a bit.

MOLINA!!!

Yes Posada is out for the season and as much as that hurts me Molina is one of the most solid defensive catchers we have, not bad for a back up. He was being given the starting roll, now he is being put back into the back up spot.
You say Pudge is gonna be back up or DH I highly doubt it this year or next.
Especially when they are considering bringing Posada back next season as DH or First Baseman.

All Pudge adds is a name to the Line up that is it.

You can argue he is a better hitter then Molina but we do not need another hitter.
We have quite a few
Jeter - who is supposed to be hitting
Abreu
Rodriguez
Cano - who is supposed to be hitting
Melky - who is not bad when he is on
Giambi - a solid hitter, when he is on

I am sorry I do not see a need for Pudge to give up Farnsworth, when we desperately need Pitching.
I am by no means a Farnsworth fan matter of fact I can't stand him but I would rather him over another a hitter.

Overpowering the lineup is not going to bring us a Championship I think the last few years have proved that.

Cashman THUMBSDOWN MOVE

Vintagedeputy
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
suave - I respect your views, but I think you'll really see something good come from this.

suave1477
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Vintage I hope so lol lol:D

jetersbatboy
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
SUAVE,
I think you made the point for most of us why another bat is needed "supposed to be" and "when he on"
GO YANKEES