PDA

View Full Version : Wanted For Sale Items To Come Back!!!

NegleyPirate
07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Hello,
Just hoping to have an update about the selling platform would be nice. Has anyone tested it out yet? Any info??
Thanks,
Mike

Sheffield11
07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Yea i am getting a bit curious as well, it does seem to be a ridiculous amount of time, and the next auction will be here before you know it.

camarokids
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
It would be nice if we were kept in the loop a little better :confused:....

How about an update????

AWA85
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Glad you guys have some items ready for the next GUU auction :D

On a serious note, Chris any kind of updates at all for us?

Fnazxc0114
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
i have a feeling that this site is gearing more to becoming an auction house. they already have the members here to police all there items for free. the for sale section might come back but only if it lines the pockets of the people who own this forum.

commando
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I will admit... It is a little strange being able to see all the "wanted" posts, but no "for sale" posts...

AWA85
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't say that, we will lose the WANT LIST! Any kind of response negative or positive would be nice. AWA85@live if necessary.

sammy
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Quit wasting your time on this site and sell your stuff on eBay.

These people have been pulling your chain for months now.

sylbry
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10633

From 9/4/2007:

"After the consignment auction ends, we will be launching an enhanced platform where people can list items for sale on the GUU site. We will explain more about the upgraded platform in the near future. As for now, we will simply say the new platform will be much more beneficial to collectors and especially potential buyers looking for legitimate merchandise."

It certainly appears the new platform is the consignment auction. And if the auction isn't the new platform then it is time to get a new software programmer. I miss the old days when GUU wasn't a business.

camarokids
07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
The silence from the powers to be speaks volumes.....

I appreciate the updates:rolleyes:.....

Swoboda4
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
For sale items will come back.

Bryan,did you see the recent ebay Jack Morris G/U Cleveland jacket that was for sale? I forgot that you collect him.

yanks12025
07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
I call for a mutiny.

sylbry
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
For sale items will come back.

Bryan,did you see the recent ebay Jack Morris G/U Cleveland jacket that was for sale? I forgot that you collect him.

I did and it killed me not to bid. Especially after seeing what it sold for. However I had to make sure the Twins TATC jersey ended up in my collection.

Tay1038
07-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Brian,
How about a Blyleven and Jack Morris GU Jersey to sell to a fellow Twins collector? What do you say? It would end up in the right home.

Taylor

Swoboda4
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Well,it was me who won it at $64 (I max bid at $105). I found this photo prior to bidding which made me go for it.
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/80288810.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933B836CAF14D5D5C84F076A42AF208943 E30A760B0D811297
If I ever sell it I'm making a note to call you.

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
The silence from the powers to be speaks volumes.....

I appreciate the updates:rolleyes:.....

Does seem a little odd that we have yet to receive a response. Maybe they are too busy preparing that platform? Maybe we should give them a little more time, its only been 8 months.

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Does seem a little odd that we have yet to receive a response. Maybe they are too busy preparing that platform? Maybe we should give them a little more time, its only been 8 months.

Sorry did I say 8? I MEANT 11!

dcgreg25
07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
It has been a while....I am sure the other members wont mind a few bugs in exchange for having a forum where we can trade...even an outline of the system....pretty much anything at this point.

Beyond just wanting to have another resource to buy from, the Items for Sale section drives traffic and helps maintain the interest of all the members and attract new members. That is a common goal of the GUU and the members. It would be great to hear something- even if they are not going to bring the section back at least people would know where it stands.

NegleyPirate
07-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe everyone's at the National or on vacation. Or they got the software from Microsoft(lol)

AWA85
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Not so much of a problem that the for sale section is not up, but the silence makes me feel like I am dealing with MLB.com. I know there was a time period where the new system would come out, but I think that date range has past.

Simple update would not be bad for the MANY posters that use this site daily and ENJOY the site instead of the cold shoulder.

Once again AWA85@live.com if there is anything new.

Thank you.

worldchamps
07-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I am going to make this statement and i want GUU to take it as postive feedback/suggestion. I really feel this site has succeeded due to it being FREE. Yeah there are pay features, and you get benefits for it.

However selling and trading occurs because people want to skip the ebay fees, same as with auction houses.

I fear if there are fees, especially significant ones people will not use this avenue....they will either go back to ebay or a new site will pop up.

A good example is there used to be a local website here where people shared info on autograph signings.... it went to a pay site...and since then 2 other free ones have popped up.

You all do a great job and i love this site, i think $ can be made on advertising and the auctions...the trade and sell between members, i feel, should be kept free.

These are my opinions, i mean them in the most positive way.

Sheffield11
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I am going to make this statement and i want GUU to take it as postive feedback/suggestion. I really feel this site has succeeded due to it being FREE. Yeah there are pay features, and you get benefits for it.

However selling and trading occurs because people want to skip the ebay fees, same as with auction houses.

I fear if there are fees, especially significant ones people will not use this avenue....they will either go back to ebay or a new site will pop up.

A good example is there used to be a local website here where people shared info on autograph signings.... it went to a pay site...and since then 2 other free ones have popped up.

You all do a great job and i love this site, i think $ can be made on advertising and the auctions...the trade and sell between members, i feel, should be kept free.

These are my opinions, i mean them in the most positive way.

You make a lot of sense in your post. I kind of feel the same way, but as long as the fees arent too bad i would still make a few posts. If they are steep then good bye GUU. Maybe the people that are looking to buy items should just post them in the WANTED section and seller can find them that way. This of course would take a lot more time on both ends but in the end it would be free. Maybe somebody should start a new GU site.

sammy
07-31-2008, 10:47 PM
I use to visit this forum daily.

Now if I visit once a week, I have been here too much. Being as this is my second post, I get to take a week off.

It's a shame it has evolved into just another business.

Enjoy your time at the Nationals Mr. Moderators. Perhaps you can drum up some new members for the ones you are losing daily.

Remember this:

This forum was originally created by Eric Stangel as a way to bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other.

larry bourget
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM

Now if I visit once a week, I have been here too much. Being as this is my second post, I get to take a week off.

Enjoy your time at the Nationals Mr. Moderators. Perhaps you can drum up some new members for the ones you are losing daily.

Remember this:

This forum was originally created by Eric Stangel as a way to bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other.

AMEN!

cohibasmoker
08-01-2008, 07:32 AM
One of the aspects that made this site so attractive was/is the Items for Sale section. When the section was open, most people appreciated the section and they would post responsibily by listing an item or two. That went along just fine until certain members decided they were going to start posting two or three posts at a time listing 50 plus items. Then to make matters worse, they would "bump" their posts day and after to keep their items at the top.

Whatever the forum owners decide to do is certainly fine with me. It is their forum and they pay the bills. I only hope that whatever they decide to do, they try and seperate the guys that are just trying to sell an item or two as opposed to those who try and run a business off of the back of the forum owners.

This thread is not meant to offend anyone - it's just my opinion.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

AWA85
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
As someone that visits daily (although my numbers have come down a bit) it does seem like there is a little less traffic over the past few months. Does that not matter to the people that run the site? Money makes the world go round, but it was a site free for collectors. I started game used collecticng because I stumbled upon a post through a google search and now I am all out collector. Change is a good thing at times and we all could pay a few fees here and there, but think about the collector that you built this site for in the first place.

Once again, still waiting for any kind of reply at AWA85@live.com or on the board.

Thank you.

yanks12025
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a dream that fellow game used forum members will one day beable to sell their game used items on this great website again. They keep the truth from us, but we did not sign up to this site for this. So we need to fight for are right to party to get are rights back on this forum.:)

Sheffield11
08-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Well at least we could all come together and agree on this. On a serious note, does anybody know how to create a website? If so i think we should make another move. Please let us know.

camarokids
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Remember this:

Very well said Sammy ! I have missed reading your quality posts!

How hard can it be to start a new game used website?????

commando
08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Building a website is the easy part... Establishing your site as THE place for GU collectors to come is the hard part. Since Game Used Universe is already the biggest and best GU site out there, I would plead that they keep a free classifieds section in order to maintain their industry-leading status.

There are ways for the site to make money (auctions, premium areas), but I don't believe charging for "For Sale" posts should be one of them. I realize we are probably a bunch of cheap bastards, but it is the reality of internet forums today. Ask the owners of MySpace about friendly competition, and I'm sure they'll have a few stories to tell.

The owners here should poll their members and do a bit of research before changing one of the most popular features of this site. While the idea of a poll may sound silly, I know that members of internet communities are fickle and do what is best for themselves, even if it means finding or creating new forums.

By the way, my profession is marketing for one of the largest advertising companies in the nation. I don't claim to be an expert on the logistics of this forum, but it seems obvious that many members want the ability to do some simple free trading and selling in a forum they trust.

BergerKing22784
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I am agreeing with what everyone has said it was a major appeal to a lot of people and its why they came to this site. I was just looking and I hope the admins realise that most of the people who have commented if you look under their names are "Senior Members" I was so excited when I finally hit that mark I really felt like a part of the community when I got that and I am sure others did also. We are the ones who the this board go and it seems as though we are being denied what really made this site great.

frikativ54
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
It doesn't surprise me that we haven't gotten a response yet. The powers that be have definitely shown themselves to be biased when editing posts, especially when someone has enough sense to criticize the ridiculous markups by collectors and auction houses alike. The message I get, like another forum member said, is that Game Used Universe is becoming an imitation auction house, for the benefit of those who run the site alone, and not a place where collectors look out for each other's not getting ripped off. I think it would be great if those with the technological knowledge would start another website. Competition is a great thing, and when people flock in droves to the new site, it will force those who run this site to change their modus operandi.

mfsquirrelmaster
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I think a solution to everything would be to allow members who paid the $20 for the "basic" membership to post in the "for sale" section. The fee of $20 for a years worth of "for sale" posts would still be the most reasonable price around. I have had ebay fees of about $20 for 1 item. I don't think any members would have a problem with that?

dcgreg25
08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Thats a great idea! I paid the $20 to try and be supportive of the forum (even though you dont have to). I agree that paying members should be able to post items for sale on the for sale space. Its a pretty simple concept- premium members can post items for sale. Even if they up the price to $29.95 or $39.95 it would be worth it and simple. That is part of the beauty of the forum...its simplicity. My 2 cents is we keep it that way.

mfsquirrelmaster
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Auctions, selling fees, Cowboys exclusive deals. Things are definitely changing. Wonder whats next?

ndevlin
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
i have a feeling that this site is gearing more to becoming an auction house. they already have the members here to police all there items for free. the for sale section might come back but only if it lines the pockets of the people who own this forum.

Great statement! I've heard this before and it makes complete sense, because its 100% true! Ya know, if they would have come out and said hey, its going to be out at this time and its going to cost this much to post an item, and actually did it, then that would be one thing. Or even if they said there isnt going to be a "For Sale" section anymore, then fine! Come out and say it!! Dont drag people around for almost a year! Thats silly! It seems like its testing time in between auctions, and when they are over, okey dokey, time to tell people the section will be up shortly, only to find out the next auction is coming up. I like this site for multiple reasons, but the subject of the "For Sale" section is getting a little out of hand now.

Great comments folks!! Im glad a lot of you said something. It was exactly what was on my mind but didnt want to say anything because I didnt want to hear the "well if you are only here for the for sale section, then leave" comments. Ive said this before, but this kind of reminds me of the movie, The Last Castle! haha.

frikativ54
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Auctions, selling fees, Cowboys exclusive deals. Things are definitely changing. Wonder whats next?

These changes are ridiculous. I'm a college student, and I don't think it's fair to make me pay $20 to merely list an item. How can you justify forcing a person like me, who wants to list one bat, to pay the same price as a dealer listing 150 items? Is this site about benefiting the collector, or making the powers that be profits?

I'm getting sick of this site's double-standards. The regular members on here get passes on the authenticity of their items, whereas non-members are amenable to mud-slinging. I've heard scare stories about members selling fake items, yet people pretending that nothing has happened because they contribute to this forum.

Fnazxc0114
08-01-2008, 10:20 PM
there is nothing wrong with free enterprise. one of the things that i used to enjoy doing was seeing what people had for sale on this site. i too have only bought one item from the site that want good. a bat that was supposedly game used but must have been graded by zburns. it was the first g/u item i ever bought and luckily it didnt cost much. if the new setup put accountability in to the picture that would be good. in the past i have seen where deals have gone bad from this sites and the mods wouldnt allow the issue to be brought out into the public. oh well.

Fnazxc0114
08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
also as a side note why not refuse to give input on the next g/u auction. this is the biggest part of their platform that makes g/u universe unique. if they want to charge us for a for sale section this would be the best way to get back at them. also why not go to a feedback system like some of the other trading sites out there.

CollectGU
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Or even if they said there isnt going to be a "For Sale" section anymore, then fine! Come out and say it!! Dont drag people around for almost a year! .

Don't worry there will be a for sale site as soon as they figure out how to profit from it. The people that have made this site successful, the members, have asked for something - a free for sale section and it is not being delivered...

Regards,
Dave

yanks12025
08-02-2008, 06:26 AM
But the thing that is pissing me off the most is none of the moderators have made a single post to the subject.

RobSteinmetz
08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Guys,

Chris Cavalier called me this morning and asked that I make a post on his behalf, as he is having internet connectivity issues at the National. He will be posting a response tonight or early tomorrow.

Best,

Rob

commando
08-02-2008, 12:26 PM
These changes are ridiculous. I'm a college student, and I don't think it's fair to make me pay $20 to merely list an item. How can you justify forcing a person like me, who wants to list one bat, to pay the same price as a dealer listing 150 items? Is this site about benefiting the collector, or making the powers that be profits?

I'm getting sick of this site's double-standards. The regular members on here get passes on the authenticity of their items, whereas non-members are amenable to mud-slinging. I've heard scare stories about members selling fake items, yet people pretending that nothing has happened because they contribute to this forum.

That's an excellent point... Why not give each member five or ten free "For Sale" posts every year? If you list more items than that per year, maybe you should pay a few bucks to help out the site. If a person is caught abusing the privilege with multiple accounts, they can be banned from the site until they pay?

Sheffield11
08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
That's an excellent point... Why not give each member five or ten free "For Sale" posts every year? If you list more items than that per year, maybe you should pay a few bucks to help out the site. If a person is caught abusing the privilege with multiple accounts, they can be banned from the site until they pay?

See now this is problem solving, everybody is putting in some really good ideas. Now im curious as to what will really happen here, Chris whenever you post about this can you please include hows the platform will work with fees and all?

psmachetti
08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Funny.... I just re-read the post about how the new "Items for sale" section would be up and running anytime now and this was posted last November.I also read the post on the new GUU Fall auction coming soon , so don't expect an Items for sale section to be up any time soon.I keep checking every so often to see if the Sale section is going to be resurrected ,but I never see any new info. This crap is getting old. I also used to visit this site everyday because of the Items for Sale section. Now maybe once or twice a week. Personally I don't want to have to pay to post a jersey for sale every once in awhile. It should be a free site. I also am not interested in auctions because just about anything in auctions winds up being too expensive for me anyway.
It also seems silly to have a section for people to post what they want when there isn't a section to sell items.You know the old saying "Shit or get off the pot!"
Paul

SkubeBats
08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I was at the National Saturday and stopped over by the GUU both. I was able to ask Chris Cavalier when he thought the for sale section would be up and running. He told me himself that it wouldn't be up for several more weeks and that they are still working out some problems with the new system. He also told me that to be able to sell anything on this forum you would have to send your items into GUU for review by them to see if your items are the real deal or not before they can be listed on this site. His reason for this was to make sure that GUU name wouldn't be run through the mud with bad items being sold on their site. So if you have one item or twenty for sale you would have to send them in first for their approval before you can post them on here. Please let me know what everyone thinks about this!!!!
Thanks,
Jamie

zookerman182
08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
terrible.

I miss the days where i could browse a list of bats and jerseys to see if i liked anything. Now nobody is going to waste thier time sending the site stuff when they can just go to ebay if they want to sell it that bad. I think the people who regularly browse this forum can tell the diference between legit and bogus items. Its called doing you're homework and not letting a web site do it for you. 75% less stuff will be for sale if this happens but i guess any for sale section is better than none. I also hope the sellers prove me wrong and go through the trouble of getting it sent to the memorabilia gods for approval but i know i can truthfully say i wont be doing that.

I just couldnt bring myself to send in a John Taube graded bat or an MLB authenticated jersey just to wait and see if GUU lets me sell it. I would think i would have enough authentication already.

Neely8
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
He also told me that to be able to sell anything on this forum you would have to send your items into GUU for review by them to see if your items are the real deal or not before they can be listed on this site. His reason for this was to make sure that GUU name wouldn't be run through the mud with bad items being sold on their site. So if you have one item or twenty for sale you would have to send them in first for their approval before you can post them on here. Please let me know what everyone thinks about this!!!!
Thanks,
Jamie

That doesn't sound very practical to me. The powers of GUU are now experts enough in all major sports to be able to authenticate all items to be sold via this Forum? Since I am mostly a hockey guy, which doesn't appear to be as popular as football and baseball on here are, they are that knowledgable in hockey stuff (prior to the NHL/Meigray deal which takes most of the homework out of it) to make an accurate assessment? What about the possibility of sent items getting lost and never making it there? If the statement above is accurate it sounds like selling through this Forum is going to be more trouble then it's worth.

Sheffield11
08-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I was at the National Saturday and stopped over by the GUU both. I was able to ask Chris Cavalier when he thought the for sale section would be up and running. He told me himself that it wouldn't be up for several more weeks and that they are still working out some problems with the new system. He also told me that to be able to sell anything on this forum you would have to send your items into GUU for review by them to see if your items are the real deal or not before they can be listed on this site. His reason for this was to make sure that GUU name wouldn't be run through the mud with bad items being sold on their site. So if you have one item or twenty for sale you would have to send them in first for their approval before you can post them on here. Please let me know what everyone thinks about this!!!!
Thanks,
Jamie

I really hope this is not true, the is a horrible idea. I have things i would like the list on here but there is no way i would ever actually send my stuff in to be checked out. Its just a waste of time for everyone who have been waiting long enough. If this really in the new platform then i doubt there will be to much for sale items.

ChrisCavalier
08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Hello Everyone,

Spending time at the National has confirmed my belief that the collecting community is seeing GUU as a place collectors can come to get quality merchandise without concerns about legitimacy, etc.

While we have been working on getting the platform ready, we have been discussing the issue of allowing any and all items to be posted on the site without our review and the potential implications of doing so. For example, we have recently been accused of allowing someone to be "ripped off" by a GUU forum member when the ‘For Sale’ section was available. The person said the items he purchased were not good and asked us to get his money back. While we mentioned that we never even saw the merchandise and that the transaction was between him and the buyer, he decided to make public posts accusing us of allowing bad items to be sold on the site.

The GUU name in the hobby is gaining enormous credibility and it is not something we are willing to risk by allowing potentially suspect items to be posted on the site over which we would have no control. To be very honest, we are still trying to figure out if there is a way to make things work in way that doesn't jeopardize the GUU brand or its name. I know some will say if someone sells an item to someone else through the site that will be between the buyer and the seller. However, we know empirically that is not true since we have already been publicly accused of allowing someone to be "ripped off" in a transaction for which we had no part.

We know at this point we will definitely be allowing people to list items on the site that GUU has approved and certified. We are also considering all the implications of people listing items on their own but we are not willing to do it if it affects the perception of GUU in general. This is still being discussed I am not 100% sure where it will net out. We are not interested in a scenario where potentially suspect items can be sold through GUU. Absent our involvement to make sure items are properly evaluated, item descriptions are accurate, the right item gets shipped to the winning bidder, etc., I'm not sure how to protect buyers from the problems the face elsewhere.

Bottom line, at this point we will be launching a system soon that will allow for the posting of items that have been evaluated. Beyond that, we are discussing the potential of other options. However, any other option will have to create a system where the buyer is protected in every way from the problems they can encounter other places in the hobby.

Neely8
08-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Not for nothing Chris but do you think GUU is the only site dedicated to game worn memorabilia? I have been a long time member of gameworn.net and gamewornjerseys.com and as far as I can remember neither site has ever had any issues with being held responsible for the selling of "bad" items. Both have offered free for sale sections since their inceptions. If there happens to be problems with any items sold that is why paypal has a dispute process and most major credit cards have a chargeback option.

Sheffield11
08-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

Spending time at the National has confirmed my belief that the collecting community is seeing GUU as a place collectors can come to get quality merchandise without concerns about legitimacy, etc.

While we have been working on getting the platform ready, we have been discussing the issue of allowing any and all items to be posted on the site without our review and the potential implications of doing so. For example, we have recently been accused of allowing someone to be "ripped off" by a GUU forum member when the ‘For Sale’ section was available. The person said the items he purchased were not good and asked us to get his money back. While we mentioned that we never even saw the merchandise and that the transaction was between him and the buyer, he decided to make public posts accusing us of allowing bad items to be sold on the site.

The GUU name in the hobby is gaining enormous credibility and it is not something we are willing to risk by allowing potentially suspect items to be posted on the site over which we would have no control. To be very honest, we are still trying to figure out if there is a way to make things work in way that doesn't jeopardize the GUU brand or its name. I know some will say if someone sells an item to someone else through the site that will be between the buyer and the seller. However, we know empirically that is not true since we have already been publicly accused of allowing someone to be "ripped off" in a transaction for which we had no part.

We know at this point we will definitely be allowing people to list items on the site that GUU has approved and certified. We are also considering all the implications of people listing items on their own but we are not willing to do it if it affects the perception of GUU in general. This is still being discussed I am not 100% sure where it will net out. We are not interested in a scenario where potentially suspect items can be sold through GUU. Absent our involvement to make sure items are properly evaluated, item descriptions are accurate, the right item gets shipped to the winning bidder, etc., I'm not sure how to protect buyers from the problems the face elsewhere.

Bottom line, at this point we will be launching a system soon that will allow for the posting of items that have been evaluated. Beyond that, we are discussing the potential of other options. However, any other option will have to create a system where the buyer is protected in every way from the problems they can encounter other places in the hobby.

Chris,

I understand what you are saying here, but maybe instead of sending the items in to you, sellers could email you pics of the item along with certification and how they obtained it. That way it wont take a great deal of time to list something for sale and yet you are still over looking everything. On the note about making sure people shipped the right items and protecting the hobby that is really an issue for the credit card company or paypal, I feel that as long as your making sure the items listed are authentic then you've done your job. A feedback would also be good to let people know about good and bad encounters. And if anybody does something shady or ships a bad item then they should be banned from seller on the forum until they make good. I hope this would solve any potential problems.

Hawk
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Neely, I was thinking the same thing. I have been a member of gameworn.net for eight years and all disputes have always been worked out. They have had a for sale section since its inception in 1998.

Just a thought,
Geoffrey

kellsox
08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the posts regarding the desire for the long delayed For Sale Section and the "banning" of a regular poster and I have a very uneasy feeling of the direction that this site is headed. I found that when the old For Sale section was avail, there was a lot more networking and information sharing on a daily basis- and it also gave collectors another reason to check the site regularly.
As for the incident in which GUU being accused of allowing someone to be "ripped off"- I never really thought it's the site's responsibility to be accountable for a transaction between 2 willing parties. I read over and over how we need to "do your homework" when it comes to determining the authenticity of items. I saw the For Sale section as being no different than a transaction from a dealer's site/classified ad/convention etc...The buyer's protection was the "homework" that was done and Paypal/CC.
The new For Sale section does not sound like it will be cheap- with the amount of checks/balances done by people to have items "properly evaluated, item descriptions are accurate, the right item gets shipped to the winning bidder, etc."
I don't blame members looking elsewhere to discuss the hobby and post items to sell and trade. The suspension/ban of a member's posting rights do to unsolicited emails seemed a bit harsh and in my opinion directing people to another site had to have something to do with the swift dicipline.

NegleyPirate
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
So the site is really turning into a auction house. If we have something to sell, sent it in to get check out. Pay to have it shipped like 3 times. Once to get it approved,returned to you,then mail it out if someone buys it. If we ship items to you will it have a COA or Hologram on it for approval of being authentic?? Seems like alot more work. I don't see how GUU is held for anything sold good or bad. It should be between the parties involved. I don't think Ebay is held accountable if someone sells anything thats not up to the buyers standards. It's for the buyer and sellers to contact each other to work any issue's. Just my thoughts.
Thanks,

larry bourget
08-03-2008, 12:40 PM
With all that's going on here lately reminds me of the
Classic "Who's on First" Abbott & Costello routine.

i accept emails,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

JETEFAN
08-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Seems like GUU is being forced to do something they are apparently reluctant to do at this time, bring back the Game used section. If they are still putting it together the constant questions about it will not speed up the process. There are other options for selling your items as discussed earlier and other new sites starting up which look like they are going to be great! Tim at Hall of Fame bats just started a new site geared at game used bats and it looks like it will be another great tool for game used bat collectors just like this forum. You are welcome to list items for sale on there. http://www.hofbats.com/forum/. Meanwhile lets give GUU the time needed to put together the quality game used section they have prommissed.

George

jgoldstein2000
08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
This is pretty ridiculous. Why can't there just be a disclaimer that items sold in the "For Sale" section are in no way affiliated with GUU...

When I buy something in the classifieds section of the New York Times I don't hold them responsible...

worldchamps
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
So one person complains and this action has been taken???? Yet all the members are complaining and nothing is being done??

If it is about money just say it is about money.

I personally fell short on a dealing with one of the most beloved members on here...but i would not ever have blaimed this site.....it is no different from dealing with ebay, or any other venues? You take your chances in dealing with strangers.

The whole advantage of this site is it is FREE.

The really crappy thing is all the bad people, the anti GUU people (shady dealers, shady auction houses, etc) are reading these coments and laughing....in the end they won!!

Billyu40
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
There is only one way to get the "owners" of this site to bring the for sale section back. Boycott the site. If there is no movement on the site from posting or logging on, and no one sends in items for the consignment, then the site becomes irrelivant and the "owners" must make the changes or the site becomes useless. This would take a combined effort from everyone and not just a few.

As a disclaimer, I did like the for sale section but, im not advocating this action nor do I care one way or the other. Im just tired of hearing about it.:D If money truely drives the people that created this site this will make them think twice and listen when the people talk. If all you do is complain nothing is going to happen.

jetersbatboy
08-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Simple math guys @ $20 per member x 3000 members = $60,000 a year is not enough to run a website (rolling my eyes):rolleyes: plus the people like me, who $50 a year to be a premium member. I guess a years salary for some of use is just not enough.

Nathan
08-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Neely, I was thinking the same thing. I have been a member of gameworn.net for eight years and all disputes have always been worked out. They have had a for sale section since its inception in 1998.

Just a thought,
Geoffrey

Hilarious. I guess the scores of people banned from that site for questioning items (most of which came through Buffalo at some point), be they from individual sellers or from the S&K auction offshoot, doesn't count.

That's to say nothing of trying to whack major guys like Rich Ellis over the most petty "violations" imaginable.

ChrisCavalier
08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Simple math guys @ $20 per member x 3000 members = $60,000 a year is not enough to run a website (rolling my eyes):rolleyes: plus the people like me, who $50 a year to be a premium member. I guess a years salary for some of use is just not enough.
First of all, thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Based on the feedback from members I will be making a post shortly to explain some next steps. I just wanted to let everyone know I will be posting on this shortly (it will take me a little time to put the post together) and appreciate your patience while the post is being put together.

In addition, regarding the quote above about the "simple" math, the variable that you forgot to factor in is the fact that 90-95% of the people using the GUU site are "Complimentary" members and we haven't charged them a dime for any of the services they have used for the past three years. If you re-calculate your math with that in mind I think you will come up with a very different picture.

mfsquirrelmaster
08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I know this is a whole nother can of worms but transactions happen in the other area's of the site as well. What if I contact a member looking to buy an item that they just posted in the "recent pickups" thread and we work out a deal. Then when I receive the item it's not what I was expecting???

ChrisCavalier
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I know this is a whole nother can of worms but transactions happen in the other area's of the site as well. What if I contact a member looking to buy an item that they just posted in the "recent pickups" thread and we work out a deal. Then when I receive the item it's not what I was expecting???
Good question Matt. I will try to address this in the post.

jetersbatboy
08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Chris
Why not make a 30 day trail version after that to become a member you must pay the $20. With the amount of information received on this site I think its a deal. I would hope most of us agree.
Thanks Scott

ChrisCavalier
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
FYI:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17949