PDA

View Full Version : What was I thinking...would you do what I did...

Larry Pelliccioni
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
purchase a rare style jersey that was totally torn up the middle of the back by the very frustrated player who wore it?
I did, would you?

intheminors
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I think if it was Hulk Hogan I would. Otherwise, I'd probably pass. I'd love to see pics of the jersey though... :)

skyking26
07-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I'd pass as well. There is a big difference between hammered wear and total intended destruction of a item...

mariner_gamers
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Do you know for sure the player tore it up? Do you know why? I would definately be interested in a torn up jersey if I knew there was a significant reason the player shredded it. A trade, release etc.....

Larry Pelliccioni
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
No need to be cryptic about all this. The jersey was worn by #35 Justin Verlander the game 26 July 2008, that honored the Negro Leagues. It is a Detroit Stars jersey and Justin was tagged for 7 earned runs, some of which came in when he was no longer pitching. Needless to say, he was very upset, ripped his jersey all the way up the back and according to my sources the authentics people had to fish it out of the trash. It came directly from the team with the mlb hologram still affixed. The original buyer of it backed out when he saw the condition it was in. I didn't own any Verlanders who I think is a pretty decent and very competitive picture so I took it. No buyers remorse, just wondered what others in this situation would have done.
Thanks for the feedback.
Larry Pelliccioni

Larry Pelliccioni
07-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Not picture...PITCHER, SORRY, MY BAD.
LP

ahuff
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Here is a way you can photo match it, perhaps. I posted this link for someone else, but it would work great for you.

http://flickr.com/photos/jkissnhug/sets/72157604932393532/?page=2

http://flickr.com/photos/jkissnhug/2709269968/in/set-72157604932393532/

ahuff
07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually, here are some that are even clearer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?434378

Dewey2007
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
The jersey should still display nice since the rip is in the back of the jersey. Makes for an interesting conversation piece at the least. Post some pics when you get the chance.

orioles03
07-30-2008, 01:21 PM
When I Was With The Orioles We Wore Throw Back Uni's Jason Grimsley Came In After Giving Up A Couple Runs. Ripped His Jerseys Off Like Hulk Hogan Buttons Flying Everywhere.then He Put The Jersey At The Bottom Of His Cleats And Ripped It In Half, Then He Took His Cleats Off And Threw Them Into Javy Lopez's Locker Almost Hitting Someone. The Guy With Mlb Had To Try To Get The Jersey Signed He Was Scared Out Of His Mind

sylbry
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
When I Was With The Orioles We Wore Throw Back Uni's Jason Grimsley Came In After Giving Up A Couple Runs. Ripped His Jerseys Off Like Hulk Hogan Buttons Flying Everywhere.then He Put The Jersey At The Bottom Of His Cleats And Ripped It In Half, Then He Took His Cleats Off And Threw Them Into Javy Lopez's Locker Almost Hitting Someone. The Guy With Mlb Had To Try To Get The Jersey Signed He Was Scared Out Of His Mind

Roid Rage!

But seriously, I would buy a beat up rare jersey in a heartbeat, especially if there is a story behind it. IMO it is far more intersting that a regular season jersey.

orioles03
07-30-2008, 01:54 PM
when he took his cleats off and threw them across the room it was the only thing he hit all day the locker .HE WAS CRAZY!